Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Plants You Really Don't Like

How does your garden grow?
isha
Verified Username

Plants You Really Don't Like

Post by isha »

Got to thinking of this when himself told me today that Pampas grass outside someone's house was a secret sign they were swingers :shock:
We had pampas grass growing up! But I hated the damn thing. What use is it? Gives you a nasty cut if you touch the leaves and the papery looking bits that fall off would finish off the wound. That and eventually the feathery heads get to look like shoite given enough rain. Useless stuff.
So that's one I hate.

Another, and perhaps unreasonably, is Red Hot Pokers. They don't look natural anywhere in this environment. He really likes them and grows them down at the end of the field where I hardly see them.

The other one I really don't like is variegated Poplar. It looks to me like someone blew their bloody nose on the leaf. I think they are yuck. And yet they are so massively popular (heh). What is wrong with people! I like ordinary Poplars. Just not the ones with sick pink bits in them.

Just because I hate them though, is not reason for you to hate them too - maybe you too secretly love Red Hot Pokers. Maybe you have an aisle of variegated Poplar trees up your drive and adore them. You can defend hated plants too if you want.
Normally I love plants, really love them. But you have to hate a few to make feeling that real.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Re: Plants You Really Don't Like

Post by 95438756 »

Hog Weed.

Thrives along river banks in weather like this. Might look great to dry off after a swim in a cleaner river.

Just.Don't.Do.it.

Welcome to rash and pain. For.a.very.long.time.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

gugleguy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:10 pm Hog Weed.

Thrives along river banks in weather like this. Might look great to dry off after a swim in a cleaner river.

Just.Don't.Do.it.

Welcome to rash and pain. For.a.very.long.time.
It's a bad vibe alright. The rash can be terrible.

Post by 765489 »

Horsetail, Leylandi,Japanese Knotweed, Giant Hogweed and Laurel would be top of my list.

Flower wise, I'm not too keen on the purple shrub roses that do be on the side of motorways. Hydrangeas don't do anything for me.

I have a dislike of geraniums due to the fact I used to grow commercially every year for pots. Hate the smell of them.

I dont like popular trees as they remind me of industrial estates. Red tipped laurel is another thing I don't really like.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm with you on the horsetail Ncd, it's a plague here. Have had to make peace with it. Although I use it for mineral compost teas for garden and would you believe sometimes to make a hair rinse.

Another plant I don't much like is feverfew. It's everywhere here. I don't mind when it's small but when it's big and stalky and you're pulling it up it smells disgusting. Though a leaf or two is good for migraine! I pull out some plants and leave it other places. It's not a hated plant, just not hugely mad about it. The smell.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Bindweed. Pretty flowers, but I hate how I end up ripping off half the foliage (and/or fruiting bodies) of whatever plant it's got itself tangled into when I'm trying to get rid of it ... or even not trying to get rid of it, but just happen to pull up another weed that's wrapped in another tendril of the same plant whose root is half a metre away. :evil:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:32 pm

Flower wise, I'm not too keen on the purple shrub roses that do be on the side of motorways. Hydrangeas don't do anything for me.

I have a dislike of geraniums due to the fact I used to grow commercially every year for pots. Hate the smell of them.
.....Red tipped laurel is another thing I don't really like.

I cannot bring to mind the purple shrub roses you mean - do you mean Rosa Rugosa? I love Rosa Rugosa :shock: .
I agree on geranium leaves, horrible smell, though I do like the actual blossoms. I have a mint geranium though, and I like that smell.

By red tipped laurel do you mean photinia? I have a really nice photinia which I am happy with. It grows so fast and gives good cover. But I can understand someone not liking it - the colour of the shoots can be a bit unexpected.

What about Himalayan Balsam? Also known as Bastard Balsam by those of us once fooled by the charm of its lovely flowers and popping seeds. The bloody thing is a nightmare if it gets into your garden. Thankfully I have none here but my last garden was ruined by it.

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:14 pm I cannot bring to mind the purple shrub roses you mean - do you mean Rosa Rugosa? I love Rosa Rugosa :shock: .
I agree on geranium leaves, horrible smell, though I do like the actual blossoms. I have a mint geranium though, and I like that smell.

By red tipped laurel do you mean photinia? I have a really nice photinia which I am happy with. It grows so fast and gives good cover. But I can understand someone not liking it - the colour of the shoots can be a bit unexpected.

What about Himalayan Balsam? Also known as Bastard Balsam by those of us once fooled by the charm of its lovely flowers and popping seeds. The bloody thing is a nightmare if it gets into your garden. Thankfully I have none here but my last garden was ruined by it.

Yeah that's the one Rosa Rugosa. I can't stand it. I've one on my driveway I must get rid of :D

I do like roses but not that type.

The Photinia does my head in as its no value to wildlife.

Thankfully there's no Himalayan Balsam around where I am but there is pockets of jap knotweed popping up along the road and being spread then when lads come around hedge cutting.

Am I the only one starting to hate our native Ash trees ? I hate looking at them slowly dying. I'd rather not have to look at them in that state
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The Rosa Rugosa are very fast spreaders, I'm surprised you have only one. I love them. Each to their own 🙂
The dying ash are breaking my heart. But I see older ash putting up a great fight this year, better than last. Maybe some will make it, a herd immunity will maybe develop. It's depressing to think they might not survive.

Post by 95438756 »

Ivy. On buildings and walls. Slowly corrosive.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Montbretia, the orange one. I fought a years-long battle against this thug and finally, against my better judgment, had to resort to Roundup and a paintbrush.

Post by 765489 »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:40 pm Montbretia, the orange one. I fought a years-long battle against this thug and finally, against my better judgment, had to resort to Roundup and a paintbrush.

Yeah that one is a pain in the arse. It keeps popping up around the place here and I keep on removing it.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I like montbretia 😳 As in...really like it.

There's a kind of a spurge in one part of my garden, it's not a weed as such, but some kind of domesticated euphorbia and I would happily kill it with fire, as it gets everywhere. The bigger spurges at least stay in one spot, for me anyway, but this other little yoke is a ragged invasive see you next Tuesday.
QYtmzDAfYXEoQyYfCF9BQZ-768-80.jpg
QYtmzDAfYXEoQyYfCF9BQZ-768-80.jpg (120.81 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Yeah, I like montbretia too! The other day, out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of a splash of something orange on the otherwise naked bank of the new pond, and I thought: a clump of Montbretia is exactly what I need to put there. :?

The plan may need to be revised, though, as that location is now 50cm below the waterline! :D
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:54 am Yeah, I like montbretia too! The other day, out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of a splash of something orange on the otherwise naked bank of the new pond, and I thought: a clump of Montbretia is exactly what I need to put there. :?

The plan may need to be revised, though, as that location is now 50cm below the waterline! :D
Indeed, a clump of it is nice, it's when it covers the whole bloody garden that it becomes less appealing and trying to get every last one of those little bulbs is an impossible task, like the worst invasive weeds, it only takes the smallest piece.
I came across a strange anomaly when I visited my late sister in the UK a few years back. You can be fined for allowing Montbretia to spread on your land, and yet you see it for sale everywhere. Good old British common sense.
I do grow the other Crocosmia "Lucifer", which I like but it is better behaved and only needs a bit of a reminder every few years.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

marhay70 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:50 am Indeed, a clump of it is nice, it's when it covers the whole bloody garden that it becomes less appealing and trying to get every last one of those little bulbs is an impossible task, like the worst invasive weeds, it only takes the smallest piece.
I came across a strange anomaly when I visited my late sister in the UK a few years back. You can be fined for allowing Montbretia to spread on your land, and yet you see it for sale everywhere. Good old British common sense.
I do grow the other Crocosmia "Lucifer", which I like but it is better behaved and only needs a bit of a reminder every few years.
Your bulbs problem reminds me of my Jerusalem artichoke problem. Have a little bit of this harmless tuber, says my friend, it might spread a bit, but not too much. Yeah right!! 🤬🤬🤬
The flowers are nice though. Still, feck me, it invades the place!

Post by 765489 »

Montbretia is classed as an invasive plant in Ireland.

Two good articles below on the damage it can do to our native flora.

http://invasivespeciesireland.com/speci ... montbretia

https://butterflyconservation.ie/wp/2020/10/03/
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

isha wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:26 am Your bulbs problem reminds me of my Jerusalem artichoke problem. Have a little bit of this harmless tuber, says my friend, it might spread a bit, but not too much. Yeah right!! 🤬🤬🤬
The flowers are nice though. Still, feck me, it invades the place!
Do you use it as a vegetable, that should help control it? Still better to have sown a few sunflowers though. :P :geek:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:32 pm Horsetail, Leylandi,Japanese Knotweed, Giant Hogweed and Laurel would be top of my list.

I dont like popular trees as they remind me of industrial estates. Red tipped laurel is another thing I don't really like.
Yeah Geraniums smell manky, I hate them with a vengeance.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:51 am Montbretia is classed as an invasive plant in Ireland.

Two good articles below on the damage it can do to our native flora.

http://invasivespeciesireland.com/speci ... montbretia

https://butterflyconservation.ie/wp/2020/10/03/

Pull up the plant and the bulbs come with it? That guy needs to go back to where he pulled that plant up and check if the bulbs came with it, I can nearly guarantee there'll be at least half a dozen plants growing there now.

Post by 765489 »

marhay70 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:36 am Pull up the plant and the bulbs come with it? That guy needs to go back to where he pulled that plant up and check if the bulbs came with it, I can nearly guarantee there'll be at least half a dozen plants growing there now.
Applying glyphosate as you mentioned earlier would be the most effective way of dealing with them. Pulling up large stands like in the photo is pointless and as you say, there's probably numerous amounts of pin head sized bulbs formed around the main bulb and your loosening up the soil to give them a great start the following year.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:54 am Yeah, I like montbretia too! The other day, out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of a splash of something orange on the otherwise naked bank of the new pond, and I thought: a clump of Montbretia is exactly what I need to put there. :?

I wouldn't worry, the Montbretia will still be there, just wetter.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

kadman wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:11 am Yeah Geraniums smell manky, I hate them with a vengeance.
Not to be pedantic but it's pelargoniums that smell, not the native geranium.
Look at it this way, after a few hours pottering in the garden, they probably think you smell too. :D
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Before opening the thread the first thing that sprang to mind was that horrible pampas grass. Those leaves have edges like sharp blades.