Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Plants You Really Don't Like

How does your garden grow?
marhay70

Re: Plants You Really Don't Like

Post by marhay70 »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:41 pm Before opening the thread the first thing that sprang to mind was that horrible pampas grass. Those leaves have edges like sharp blades.
Now that there are no hibernating animals, out with the diesel and matches. ;)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

How have rushes not been mentioned? I know you can make Brigid's crosses from them but besides that is there anything else in this world they are good for? Do they feed or shelter anything?
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I just found out the common soft rush in Ireland is juncus effusus. Which makes me think of effusive junk. Which sounds about right.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:38 pm How have rushes not been mentioned? I know you can make Brigid's crosses from them but besides that is there anything else in this world they are good for? Do they feed or shelter anything?
Dunno about the rushes in your area, but I'm in the process of planting bullrushes in my pond, and the frogs looooooove them! They're also edible (by humans) and make a very grand centre-piece to large-scale floral displays. I'm not entirely sure about the smaller reedy rushes, but I imagine they can be woven into more than just Brigid's crosses. In fact, when she was a girl, my sister used to make little baskets from them when we camped in my uncle's marshy field in Co. Clare.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Bullrushes are lovely.

I have found for weaving things the common rushes shrink a lot, quite fast and become very brittle.
But looks like I'm wrong again and others are raving about them -
https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threa ... ving.7823/

Can even use them to make wicks and various ropes and all.

Anyway I have since read they give some animals a bit of shelter, so I suppose they are also good for that. Damn things.

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:16 pm Bullrushes are lovely.

I have found for weaving things the common rushes shrink a lot, quite fast and become very brittle.
But looks like I'm wrong again and others are raving about them -
https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threa ... ving.7823/

Can even use them to make wicks and various ropes and all.

Anyway I have since read they give some animals a bit of shelter, so I suppose they are also good for that. Damn things.
I've seen bales of rushes for sale on donedeal. It can be used for bedding. Imagine buying round bales of rushes ! Some traditional cattle breeds such as Irish moiled cattle as well as goats and sheep will eat it at various stages of growth.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

But, but,but where would we all be if Moses hadn't been sheltered in the rushes? :shock: :shock: :shock: No Ten Commandments, No Jesus, no Church, no priests, no sins to repay for eternity. Yep, you're right Isha, burn the f****** lot of them.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

☺️ I think those were bulrushes (maybe?). Which are lovely. There's a lake beside me and every winter the storms wreck the bulrushes and the stalks get washed up in a big spread on the shore under the trees and they make the most lovely patterns.

One thing about common rush is that if you do persistently cut them they eventually give up. Not like damn horsetail which thrives on growing back and driving you mad. 🤬
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I hate cordelyne (sp?) and had to dig out two in this house when we moved in along with a line of leylandii. The roots went on down and down and I gave up after a bit and they never came back. They seemed to be a fashion item for gardens in the 1970's? I also dislike buddleia even tho favourite for butterflies etc, just reminds me of railway banks and derelict sites.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I agree on the cordyline. I just looked at a few driving past houses today and I thought meh! 😅 I think they work if your garden faces directly onto a beach and if it's always sunny. They have that sharp leaf and sharp brown papery stuff thing going on too. I will not be planting them in the wind-ridden hills.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

yep kids used to play sword fights with the leaves and they seem to drop all year round... neighbours lot would fall my way. I think they only thrive on a line diagonically south from Clontarf but so alien in this country and we are blessed with being able to grow so much better.