Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Too good to be true, and yet ...

How does your garden grow?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Too good to be true, and yet ...

Post by CelticRambler »

The new landscaping in the garden calls for a proper greenhouse (as opposed to the obviously DIY but solid rafters-and-roof-membrane facility currently filling that role). In my head, I've pictured a Victorian style cast-iron edifice for the chosen location, to be both decorative (when seen at a distance) and multi-functional (shelter for early-sown plants and an optional summer living space).

As is the way of internet wormholes, when I went looking for a decorative wrought-iron grill for my front door (totally different project), I stumbled upon an ad for this:

Slightly smaller than I'd intended (3x4m rather than 3x5 or 3x6), but available right now and for about one twentieth of the price.

What's the catch? Well, that's my question. The ad I saw is on one "Dealz" type site, and a bit of googling took me to the same ad on two other sites, all based in France. But the photo is from an auction listing posted by an Italian "house-and-garden" business that has a special division dedicated to the fabrication and restoration of metal structures. On their own site, they have a 3x6m version of this for sale, and the delivery charge alone is as much as the price of the one I'm looking at.

Part of me thinks it's a scam, but as the three sites where it's listed offer buyer's payment protection, I can't quite see how it works. I've had what looks like a personal response to a first e-mail enquiry, and I'm going to try to get the guy on the phone later. Any suggestions as to what questions (trick or legitimate) I can ask to figure out if it's actually a really good deal and nothing sinister?
isha
Verified Username

Re: Too good to be true, and yet ...

Post by isha »

How far to drive to French one and check it out? I'd be nervous to give a chunk of money to a site that isn't well known.
Looks lovely, the greenhouse.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 765489 »

I wouldn't go near it if you have doubts CR. Another possibility is that they are using that photo but what they are selling is a pile of rust !
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The catch is that its probably of asian origin, along with all the finesse of spotwelds from a car battery.
Misplaced welds, incorrectly aligned that will cause all sorts of havoc when you try to assemble it.

I would prefer to send my money to some general in Zimbabwe who has just inherited 200 million form oil reserves that his father stole from President MoooBooooooooooootooo, but who has no bank account to draw his millions out. That cuts out the middle man.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:45 am How far to drive to French one and check it out? I'd be nervous to give a chunk of money to a site that isn't well known.
Looks lovely, the greenhouse.
The site is one I use all the time, and have never had any problems with it (other than ads being left up for months after the items are sold) so that's not a concern.

But on that site, the location is given as Brest (600km drive for me, so nope!) ; however on the other site, the location is the far side of Lyon, so "only" 500km ... but still nope. And also :?: The thing is, though, I'd often give two different address, as I do have two legitimate centres of activity, 600km apart. That's kind of normal in France
Ncdjd2 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:52 am I wouldn't go near it if you have doubts CR. Another possibility is that they are using that photo but what they are selling is a pile of rust !
Yeah, that's a possibility. It's not just the photo they're using, but the whole ad, presumably translated from the original Italian, including the weights of the two parcels. Yer Man confirmed to me in his message last night that the panes of glass are included (not obvious in the pictures) and that they're already wrapped up in one of the packages.

The third site on which I found it is new one to me, and looks like it's targeted at professional builders and the like, where they can sell excess material from a job, off-cuts (there are loads of kitchen work-top offcuts on there) and other non-consumery type things. The kind of site that wouldn't attract an easily scammable public, so I'm wondering if Yer Man picked this up really cheap at the auction and just wants to shift it a quickly as possible now.

I have a phone number for him from one site, but I've e-mailed him separately to ask for it. We'll see if he gives the same one.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:21 am The catch is that its probably of asian origin, along with all the finesse of spotwelds from a car battery.
Misplaced welds, incorrectly aligned that will cause all sorts of havoc when you try to assemble it.
Maybe, although the Italian seller from where it came originally invites you to go and see their other models ("made locally") in their display-space in Milan.

Also too far for a curiosity visit, even if the price of diesel has come down by 20ct a litre since last month! :D