Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Tree planting plans 2022

How does your garden grow?
KHD

Tree planting plans 2022

Post by KHD »

Well its the time of the year again. The ground is nicely waterlogged for bare root tree planting. Anyone have any plans ?

I've ordered two plum trees, Santa Rosa and Opal. Six pear trees - Red Favourite, Beth and two pears I dont particularly like - Conference bit got for reliability of cropping.

Also got 10 thornless Loganberries and 10 summer fruiting raspberries.

I've 150 3 year old hawthorn trees that I put in a temporary location which I still haven't figured out their final resting place but need to get them out of there over the next few weeks.

I'm thinking of getting some standard roses but again need to figure out where I'm putting them.
KHD

Re: Tree planting plans 2022

Post by KHD »

And have a load of blackcurrant trees I need to move that I cut down to the ground earlier in the year. The oulfella wants a few so need to find a home somewhere out of the way.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

How about a cherry tree?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I have no room left for new trees, wish I had. I will try and squeeze in another flowering cherry in the next year or so, as they cheer me so much. But this year unfortunately is about cutting down the ash trees I have. About 20 -25 of them. Ash is unlikely to make it, I've been told, and if you want to have some wood it's better not to leave it struggle on with the heartwood dying.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

KHD wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:51 am Well its the time of the year again. The ground is nicely waterlogged for bare root tree planting. Anyone have any plans ?

I've ordered two plum trees, Santa Rosa and Opal. Six pear trees - Red Favourite, Beth and two pears I dont particularly like - Conference bit got for reliability of cropping.
Conference is a cooking pear, and one of the best for that purpose! I have only one of them, but am thinking of getting a second. Not until I see how the existing tree responds to having been given a new home this year though.

I picked up an apricot scion about a month ago, which I'm hoping to train into an espalier form and put in my courtyard. I had one years ago out in the open (same variety, Bergeron) and it produced some delicious fruit ... and then died. :( I think it was too exposed, hence the planned change of location.

A purple fig is also on the cards for this coming year. I have a green one, which produces lots of fruit (usually) that stands up well to being dried, and is good for jam, chutney and stewing; but it just doesn't look as good on a plate/in a bowl as the purple variety. However, it a decision that's still "under review" because if figs do well, they can become too good ...

Oh, and I have two walnut nuts in the fridge that I'm hoping will germinate. I collected half a dozen from under a tree in Alsace at the start of the month, and these two passed the "potentially viable" test, so we'll see ...
KHD

Post by KHD »

knownunknown wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:35 am How about a cherry tree?
Cherry trees were a disaster for me known. Between birds, snails and my father getting there before me, I got rid of them. :D.
KHD

Post by KHD »

isha wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:11 am I have no room left for new trees, wish I had. I will try and squeeze in another flowering cherry in the next year or so, as they cheer me so much. But this year unfortunately is about cutting down the ash trees I have. About 20 -25 of them. Ash is unlikely to make it, I've been told, and if you want to have some wood it's better not to leave it struggle on with the heartwood dying.
If your looking to squeeze in flowering cherrys Isha there's a good variety called Prunus Amanogawa. I have a few of them in green and also a red leaved version. They don't have the spreading habit of other varieties, they have an upright growing character and the leaves on both turn orange / red this time if the year.
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:39 am Conference is a cooking pear, and one of the best for that purpose! I have only one of them, but am thinking of getting a second. Not until I see how the existing tree responds to having been given a new home this year though.

I picked up an apricot scion about a month ago, which I'm hoping to train into an espalier form and put in my courtyard. I had one years ago out in the open (same variety, Bergeron) and it produced some delicious fruit ... and then died. :( I think it was too exposed, hence the planned change of location.

A purple fig is also on the cards for this coming year. I have a green one, which produces lots of fruit (usually) that stands up well to being dried, and is good for jam, chutney and stewing; but it just doesn't look as good on a plate/in a bowl as the purple variety. However, it a decision that's still "under review" because if figs do well, they can become too good ...

Oh, and I have two walnut nuts in the fridge that I'm hoping will germinate. I collected half a dozen from under a tree in Alsace at the start of the month, and these two passed the "potentially viable" test, so we'll see ...
I'd love to be able to try out the likes of apricots, and some of the new plums that are crossed with apricots and peaches but sadly we don't have the sun and warmth here for them, not in NCD anyway.

I had an old conference but snapped at the root stock during a storm. It was always laden with fruit. A very heavy reliable cropper. My baking skills wouldn't be great so I used to give them to a friend of mine who would make pies out of them and give me a couple in return.

I'd love to try a fresh fig. A friend of mine has a tree over 20 years old, it's a green fig. I'm actually going down to his house today with a metal detector to help him find a manhole cover that was covered by a neighbour during some landscaping works that was done some time back. :mrgreen:

I've read there is a way of restricting the roots through building a brick box in the ground that restricts growth.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

KHD wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:24 amI had an old conference but snapped at the root stock during a storm. It was always laden with fruit. A very heavy reliable cropper. My baking skills wouldn't be great so I used to give them to a friend of mine who would make pies out of them and give me a couple in return.
Ah, you don't need to go as exotic as baking - just boil them and bottle them! OK, boil is a bit OTT, but they need a bit more than blanching; then stuffed into jars, with a hot light syrup poured over and stick them in a press for as long as you want.
KHD wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:24 amI'd love to try a fresh fig. A friend of mine has a tree over 20 years old, it's a green fig. I'm actually going down to his house today with a metal detector to help him find a manhole cover that was covered by a neighbour during some landscaping works that was done some time back. :mrgreen:

I've read there is a way of restricting the roots through building a brick box in the ground that restricts growth.
My fig is nearly that old now. The brick box technique works quite well, if the joints are well sealed. I opted instead to put mine in a hole in the courtyard where it's only competition is a tuft of montbretia (the fig is winning) and I prune it savagely every year or two.

The figs are in season at the moment. I've been picking 3-4kg every few days over the last fortnight. Until this morning, when I took about 10kg off it! :shock: All sliced and stacked in the dehydrator now.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Sigh!
All this talk of desirable fruit and sunny courtyards and huge harvests has me wondering why the feck am I clinging to clay-ridden hills and kale hardened by rain-soaked wind that comes in overland from the sea.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

How would one go about transplanting an oak tree??

It's only a sucker really about 5 ft or so tall at most,it's in middle of a bog that I'm to bulldoze the scrub out of,before ploughing in spring....and was hoping to save it and plant in another field

Il try get pics later,if these downpours ever stop!
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
KHD

Post by KHD »

Get a spade and sack ( sack for oats or even a fertiliser/ beef nuts plastic bag )

Go around the tree with the spade and go right down about a foot out from the trunk. You will have to use some force on the spade to cut through the roots. When all the way around, put spade back in and lift up gently around until you can feel the tree is free. Lift the root ball ( lever action on the spade so it lies down flat ) Cut any roots still attached to the soil. Place in sack / bag and plant the same day. You want as much of the root as you can manage. When lifting it, lift by the soil root ball rather than the trunk as the rootball will fall apart. If it does fall apart plant it anyway.

Make a hole the same size as the root ball around the tree. Place root ball in hole. Put a bit more clay around it up as far as the soil mark on the tree. Step all the way around so its airtight, especially around the edge of the hole and around the trunk. Put a stake on it to stop the wind rocking it. Tie it mid way and if you've got rabbits or hares hanging about put a bit of chicken wire up to two foot in height. No harm gently putting a bucket of water or two over it.

Main thing is to have it firmed in well and staked to stop the wind rocking the lower end of the trunk.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Maybe throw in some hormone granules for root growth? Soimething similar to rooting powder for cuttings.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Setanta wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:39 am How would one go about transplanting an oak tree??

It's only a sucker really about 5 ft or so tall at most ...
Not easily, unfortunately. :(

Oak trees have a huge tap-root, about as deep as the sapling is high, and if you damage that significantly, your chances of getting the tree to re-establish itself are greatly diminished. I've done it KHD's way in the distant past (when our tree-hating, absentee landlord neighbour decided to "clean up" his hedgerows) and managed to save about 40% of what I dug out before the JCB arrived. In the more recent past, now that I have my own mini-digger and can work my way right down to about minus 1.5m so as to preserve the tap root and some semblance of a ball, my success rate has risen to ... about 60%. :cry:

These days, I find it a lot less frustrating to plant (or manage self-sown) acorns and merrily bulldoze my way through any adolescent oaks that are just not in a good place.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Further to the above, here are four current-season oak saplings that I lifted from their in-the-way places this afternoon (well, the one one the left might be from last year)

The main point of interest? Those pots are 30cm deep, and the tap root of the first three is already touching the bottom ... and that's after their ends snapped off during excavation. I have doubts as to the viability of the first plant, as there were very few lateral roots coming off the tap (because of where it was growing, I'd say; but this is also why I think it might be a year older than the other three). The next two should be ok as they each had a fairly good system of shallow roots.

The fourth one definitely only germinated in the last few months, because the bed it was growing in was completely dug over back in July after the onions planted there were harvested. When the acorn landed there, I can't say; but its root has divided in two (one will probably wither in time) and it has a more classical "root ball" so I think that'll do best of all.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Nice healthy looking plants. I'd still plant the one to the left.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

It's in the pot to give it a chance. I don't have anywhere to put these at the moment, so they've been moved to the "nursery" for the time being (bearing in mind that the "nursery" mostly exists inside my head :mrgreen: ... but getting it made real is now the next bit of serious landscaping to be done)

For the fun of it, I planted four acorns in smaller pots too. At which point I remembered that I was supposed to collect (sweet) chestnuts for planting this year too, but forgot. :(

All the trees you see in the background there are self-sown oaks, ranging in age from about five to fifteen years.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Well it looks like my tree planting plants have again spiralled out of control cost wise. When I first posted it was costing me 200 euros for the latest additions but this has now climbed to 600. I'll never get a job in a bank.

One tree I've ordered is this, Saskatoon berry, for the simple reason that i love marzipan :mrgreen:

https://www.englishsfruitnursery.ie/product/saskatoon/
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

600€ :o You must be made of money!

You can keep your saskatoon berries - I don't like marzipan. :x
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:34 pm 600€ :o You must be made of money!

You can keep your saskatoon berries - I don't like marzipan. :x
I'd happily let the house fall around me once my gardening addiction is going well. Hence why my money goes on everything outside the house and I don't have a smart telly like everyone else.

I got a catalogue off Mr Middleton during the week and they have lovely climbing roses at 20 euros a pop displayed in it so that figure might be going up.

I loose the run of myself financially sometimes as you can see :|
KHD

Post by KHD »

Trees arrived yesterday which I'm chuffed about as it will give me an excuse to potter around in the muck and spend long sessions staring at spaces, and getting distracted by bird noises as i try to figure out if I'm putting them in the right places. :mrgreen:

In the end I got 3 Plum trees, 6 Pears, 10 each of Blackcurrants, Loganberries and Raspberries. 30 hazelnut trees of various varieties, 1 Saskatoon berry and 1 Quince tree.

I love the shape and wood on a Quince tree, its very dark, some years you can have a good crop of them and if you leave a bowl of them in the kitchen they give off a lovely perfume when ripe that takes over the room. I've no idea about cooking them but have 3 years anyway to figure something out with what to do with them. I cut down the last one as I put it in the wrong place.

The buzzard that sits on the poles in my orchard is back again now everyday after his summer adventures wherever it went. He's 3 years old now.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

KHD wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:18 am30 hazelnut trees of various varieties
:shock: 30 hazelnuts? As in thirty?

Are you going to start a squirrel farm or what? :mrgreen:
KHD

Post by KHD »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:15 pm :shock: 30 hazelnuts? As in thirty?

Are you going to start a squirrel farm or what? :mrgreen:
I've got 100s of hazelnut trees. These are the latest additions. How many actual hazel nuts did I get for all my efforts in 2022 ?

ZERO

The squirrels and mice outsmart me every year. Clever fookers. :D
KHD

Post by KHD »

The squirrel farm is now completed. I had a mountain ash tree that has been moved for the third time to a place I once had a blue Siberian Christmas type tree. My plan was to put lights on it at Christmas time when it grew up abit so i could finally have some sort of Christmas tree. Unfortunately my brother does not appreciate trees at the same level as I do and killed it by running over it with the wheel of the tractor twice. Hopefully the mountain ash doesn't succumb to the same fate.