Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Herb garden restoration - end of part one.

How does your garden grow?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Herb garden restoration - end of part one.

Post by CelticRambler »

It's taken a year, but as of today, my long neglected herb garden is officially bounded on all four sides! And in the process of being re-stocked.

August 2020, after the strimmer took everything back to ground level - mostly a lot of bramble, but also a few stubborn herbs like oregano, mint and fennel.

August 2021, spot the difference! :)

The long wooden planter is the front "wall" of the garden (will be loaded up with saffron crocuses as soon as they arrive - should be this week or next) ; the staircase on the right (made entirely from salvaged wood) gives access to the terraced veg beds, but also provides morning shade for a narrow bed on that side. The stone was all found on site (mostly in one place, buried, presumably left over from when they built one or more of the barns).

Still need to work on the space within. There's a labyrinthine path of terracotta tiles there that I laid 17 years ago which I'll lift and re-lay, and then make some stone-filled beds for a mixture of decorative and functional use.

Re: Herb garden restoration - end of part one.

Post by 765489 »

Looks great Celtic, I was zooming in on all the photos there. Are they some sort of squash over to the left of the third photo ? Love the stone work.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Thanks. Yes, those are three (3 :!: ) decorative gourds that self-seeded from a line I planted last year. Like yourself, I hate to simply grub up and throw away an otherwise healthy plant, so I moved them to the (new) bank that makes up western edge of the herb garden. They went mad! What you see there is after they've been aggressively pruned twice.

It's just possible that one of them is a "pattypan" squash, as I'd foolishly planted a few of them in with the (inedible) decoratives. They've only just started fruiting, so I can't tell yet.

That space was meant to be filled with nasturtiums, but I had trouble getting them to germinate, then ran out of seed.

Post by 765489 »

I've got these squashes that are apparently grown in Provence in France that you can slice and eat raw, I'll report back later in the year with my findings :) What I notice is that there doesn't seem to be a hint of mildew on the leaves of your plants.. Mildew not too bad here so far this year but last year I was plagued with it.

I usually plant Nastursiums in cells and plant out, then they naturally reseed. Wonder did ya get dodgy seed ?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:22 am I've got these squashes that are apparently grown in Provence in France that you can slice and eat raw, I'll report back later in the year with my findings :) What I notice is that there doesn't seem to be a hint of mildew on the leaves of your plants.
No mildew, but my early tomatoes are destroyed with blight. After last year's heat wave and drought, and another drought at the start of this year, I decided to plant them closer together this year to help keep them cool in the summer. A plan that's backfired spectacularly, seeing as we've had almost no dry or hot weather since March. :cry:

What's the name of the Provencal squash, do you know?
Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:22 am I usually plant Nastursiums in cells and plant out, then they naturally reseed. Wonder did ya get dodgy seed ?
Nah - just dodgy weather and not enough attention. We had a severe drought in Jan/Feb/Mar, with a mini-heatwave for good measure. It was desperately hard to get "cold" seeds to germinate and keep them alive, and almost everything in an incubator was cooked alive. I lost just about all of a mixed batch of solanaceous in one afternoon, when the temperature in the courtyard hit 50°C. :cry:

Post by 765489 »

Musquee de Provence. Some info below on it. I'm looking forward to seeing this grow. Small fruits at the moment the size of grapefruit so hopefully they will come on ok.

https://specialtyproduce.com/produce/Mu ... _11594.php
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ah right. I've seen it around and about! Not really a great fan of squashes and pumpkins, myself, but if you want a major overdose, there's a pumpkin-plus festival near here in the autumn:

Fête de la citrouille in a town called Saint Laurent.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:41 pmThe long wooden planter is the front "wall" of the garden (will be loaded up with saffron crocuses as soon as they arrive - should be this week or next)...
Saffron bulbs were delivered today. 100 ordered, 123 in the box - a very welcome surprise, as the ideal, balanced planting scheme called for 120 but I didn't want to order the minimum quantity of 50 extra. They're planted already; looking forward now to having a free supply of the world's most expensive spice this autumn! 8-)