Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Invasive species

How does your garden grow?

Invasive species

Post by 765489 »

I've had New Zealand flatwork for a good number of years. Brought in by someone who subsequently had them all over her garden via a present of a plant which I didn't flecking want in the first place.

Last couple of years I've been eradicating them by not leaving anything lying around that they can hide under. Especially plastic coverings / tarps. I've noticed in the last two or three years a drop in sightings to single figures. I'm putting it down to the extended dry periods we've been having during the summer.

I put in a paddock with native grasses, clover and some native herbs. Was walking around it there yesterday and found black grass in it. Only one plant but that obviously came in with the grass seed.

I'm very careful now as to what comes into my garden / fields. Everything is checked and purchase via commercial sources if possible.

No Japanese knotweed but there are some stands in neighbouring properties and have reported to the council. Some of it they've dealt with but others, one neighbour in particular just hacks away at it every year and leaves it strewn along the road. They are on council property but you would not approach these people in any circumstance.
isha
Verified Username

Re: Invasive species

Post by isha »

I learned when young and foolish to beware of hippies bearing gifts of Himalayan Balsam. One or two plants look lovely but turn your back for a minute and there are raging prairies of the fecken stuff spitting seeds into your eyes if you get too close. Just say no.

I don't know if this falls under invasive species although a spore is a species - but a really sad thing we,are all witnessing now, perhaps unconsciously for many, is the death of almost all our native Ash trees. A fungus called Hymenoscyphus fraxineus is causing Ash dieback. This year almost every Ash tree has bare stalks at the ends of all branches. They will almost all die, though we are leaving our Ash standing in the small hope that some tree will display resistance and they can be used to repropagate Ash in Ireland. People will have to be careful not to leave dead trees standing. The fungus came in from Europe on planting stock.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Re: Invasive species

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:45 am I learned when young and foolish to beware of hippies bearing gifts of Himalayan Balsam. One or two plants look lovely but turn your back for a minute and there are raging prairies of the fecken stuff spitting seeds into your eyes if you get too close. Just say no.

I don't know if this falls under invasive species although a spore is a species - but a really sad thing we,are all witnessing now, perhaps unconsciously for many, is the death of almost all our native Ash trees. A fungus called Hymenoscyphus fraxineus is causing Ash dieback. This year almost every Ash tree has bare stalks at the ends of all branches. They will almost all die, though we are leaving our Ash standing in the small hope that some tree will display resistance and they can be used to repropagate Ash in Ireland. People will have to be careful not to leave dead trees standing. The fungus came in from Europe on planting stock.
Himalayan Balsam is an invasive species. None around where I am yet.

Was looking out the window this morning at my own Ash trees. It's going to have a significant impact on the landscape. Almost all Ash trees here are affected. Last winter I planted black alder in some spots as a replacement tree. They are quick growing. I used to complain sometimes about all the ivy around the place but in a few years that is all that will be on the Ash trees.

Really there needs to be some initiative started to plant replacement trees as soon as possible as some parts of the country only have Ash and fck all else.