Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The things I do for my wildlife ... :-)

How does your garden grow?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

The things I do for my wildlife ... :-)

Post by CelticRambler »

Today, I made an infinity pool for my frogs! :mrgreen:

Okay, so it wasn't really part of the original plan ... but I'm not some greedy capitalist developer, who'd just bulldoze innocent creatures out of their home. :twisted:

Posting this in "Gardening" because it's part of my on-going landscaping project. This is the bottom half of a new flood-relief/irrigation water storage pond, which I'd made a start on much earlier in the year, planning to get it fully dug during Spring and Summer before the Autumn rains came. Only the Autumn rains came at the end of Spring and kept raining till mid-Summer. :roll: At that stage, I'd dug out 30-40cm of topsoil, then dug an experimental 1m-deep trench in the middle, to see what the subsoil was like and whether or not I'd hit the water table. I did.

Couldn't do anything with it after that, as the pit filled to overflowing, and during the week of the torrential rain that flooded parts of Germany, the rest was filled as high as the base of the stone wall in the background. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, my little green frog who was previously happily living in a different trench decided to move to this one, and was joined last week by another ribbiter.

Awkward! After a fine fortnight, this week was the week to get the next bit done. I had a chat with Fwoggy and Fwendy last night, and we agreed that I'd drop the level of the ground all around, but leave them with their deep hole and a bit of a beach to sunbathe on, which they can continue to enjoy until I dig them a much better pond further back.

Bit of a race against time this morning, trying to get this excavation done before the change in the weather, but completed it at 16:29. And at 16:30 on the dot (was checking the time) BANG! - a massive simultaneous flash-bang of thunder and lightning, followed seconds later by torrential rain! Not entirely convinced the relatively thin walls of the pool will have held up against that, especially if the water overtops the bank, but about to go and check.

Oh, and Fwoggy spent almost the whole time watching the excavations from different spots in his pool. I couldn't quite believe how nonchalantly he sat there as a giant metal arm swung to within 50cm of his cute little face. Any closer than 50cm and he dived away, but he kept coming back. Reminded me of the hens racing towards the churning blades of the rotavator! :lol:
Osciiboscii

Re: The things I do for my wildlife ... :-)

Post by Osciiboscii »

Love reading about Fwench Fwoggy & Fwend's exploits 😄. I can't think of anything I've done, except banished fellas in July, with their ferrets, who think they've a god given right to cross walls onto your property and dig holes in the ditches. 😠

Post by 765489 »

I may have a couple of before and after photos shortly of a little thing I do every year before the ducks arrive. I love listening to ducks quacking away in the evening in winter / spring.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Don't have any ducks here, but maybe some day ...

Fwendy has decided to up sticks and move over to where Froggy used to hang out. Not sure whether Fwoggy is still in the infinity pool or has also gone back to the trench. Heavy intermittent rain has topped up the trench, so all-in-all I feel happy that my intervention (or disruption) was perfectly timed.

Have now removed the vegetation from an adjacent 50-75m². Will take the topsoil over to the veg beds next, then dig down to extend the pond and create new embankments. If I can keep more-or-less to the (revised) schedule, this section should be finished by the end of the year and remain undisturbed thereafter.