Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Work & Jobs

Osciiboscii

Work & Jobs

Post by Osciiboscii »

So, after a fairly stressful couple of years and due to covid/masks/changes in work policy/long hours/coping with the public, my brain is fried and I've informed my boss I'm retiring (or is that resigning?). Too young for the bus pass, but I'll be a crippled old heap if I stay in that office much longer. Job sharing is not for me, been there/done that before. You've only one life and that's for living. 🤯
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Work & Jobs

Post by CelticRambler »

Enjoy your freedom! From one who's trodden the path and has no regrets. Still do the odd bit of salaried work from time to time, but on my own terms, and still a long way from qualifying for a bus pass. :mrgreen:
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:42 pm So, after a fairly stressful couple of years and due to covid/masks/changes in work policy/long hours/coping with the public, my brain is fried and I've informed my boss I'm retiring (or is that resigning?). Too young for the bus pass, but I'll be a crippled old heap if I stay in that office much longer. Job sharing is not for me, been there/done that before. You've only one life and that's for living. 🤯
You are totally right, you only get one life. The very best wishes and I hope you really get the most from your retirement. When you get to a stage where work has taken over your life, its not good.

I work a short week, about 30 hrs, but was at home for 9 yrs with small kids prior to that. Am back now 8 yrs. I like my job but can be very stressful at times. Hoping to cut back to 25 hour week next year so I can just work mornings and have rest of day for part time farming and spending time with kids /activities. I love my job but there has to be more to life than working all hours.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Clurickeen wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:41 pm You are totally right, you only get one life. The very best wishes and I hope you really get the most from your retirement. When you get to a stage where work has taken over your life, its not good.

I work a short week, about 30 hrs, but was at home for 9 yrs with small kids prior to that. Am back now 8 yrs. I like my job but can be very stressful at times. Hoping to cut back to 25 hour week next year so I can just work mornings and have rest of day for part time farming and spending time with kids /activities. I love my job but there has to be more to life than working all hours.
Are you me 😃? I've been back full-time 12 years, after 13 years at home rearing the kiddies....it's 25 years of being at someone else's beck and call. I absolutely love my job, and it's breaking my heart to have to do this 🥺, but right now I have to do this for me. I'll also be able to help out on the farm and have time for my pets/walks.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Clurickeen wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:41 pm I work a short week, about 30 hrs ...
30 hours - short? :lol: Something that stops me from taking on more work, here in France, is that a long week is only 35hrs! It drives me up the walls having to sit around doing nothing for all the rest of them, especially when my hours are spread out to provide "maximum cover".

Just yesterday I received a request from a desperate colleague in England who can't get anyone to fill the widening gaps in her rota. Am seriously tempted to consider it - the prospect of doing (and being paid for) a few 120hr weeks is very attractive ... :?
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Plover1958 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:23 pm I jumped ship and retired at 54.
Really stupid question ... how does that actually work ?

You just tell social services and the revenue that you're done and they leave you alone until your state pension falls due ?
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:34 am 30 hours - short? :lol: Something that stops me from taking on more work, here in France, is that a long week is only 35hrs! It drives me up the walls having to sit around doing nothing for all the rest of them, especially when my hours are spread out to provide "maximum cover".

I agree, 30 doesn't sound short but by irish standards it is. In my line of work anyway (pharma), a lot of my colleagues work 60+ hrs a week. I'm actually seen as being part time :lol:
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

peasant wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:41 am Really stupid question ... how does that actually work ?

You just tell social services and the revenue that you're done and they leave you alone until your state pension falls due ?
I suppose something like that. I've my homework done and will get the contributary pension even if I don't do another days paid work. I have no intention of working till I'm nearly dead at 65. My 35 hr weeks are normally 45 hrs. On top of that, try keeping a home in order, general maintenance, have daytime meals for the farm folk/elderly parent..it's a killer, so I'm out shortly.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:36 pm Enjoy your freedom! From one who's trodden the path and has no regrets. Still do the odd bit of salaried work from time to time, but on my own terms, and still a long way from qualifying for a bus pass. :mrgreen:
My plan exactly.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Plover1958 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:16 am The Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 doesn’t allow a working week that exceeds 48 hours in a seven day period averaged out over four months.
Well that's grand in theory and I fully understand your point. However, when you work in a hectic job that there are not enough hours in the day for it can be very easy to fall into the trap of overtime. I have done it myself on many occasions but had to stop as I was getting burnt out. I have colleagues though who work all the hours they can, for personal /financial reasons or chasing the next promotion. I found I was missing time with my 3 children trying to keep on top of my workload. So another person was hired in my role and I cut my hrs to 30. In the meantime I acquired some land and got into farming on a very small scale which I love.
Sometimes it can be hard to see the wood from the tress and when you are on that hamster wheel of endless work /home life you just keep going. But as Osciiboscii says you only get one life which is why I hope to cut back even more next year.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:04 pm My plan exactly.
Enjoy every minute of it!
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

So, that's it....my job is advertised. No turning back now. As much as I don't want to leave, bossperson doesn't want me to leave either. So, we've agreed I can do a bit from home (hours to suit myself + payrise), and the new full time person will be in the office.....doing less than I did. I had to be nearly dead for this to happen. Can't wait.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Osciiboscii wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:00 pm So, that's it....my job is advertised. No turning back now. As much as I don't want to leave, bossperson doesn't want me to leave either. So, we've agreed I can do a bit from home (hours to suit myself + payrise), and the new full time person will be in the office.....doing less than I did. I had to be nearly dead for this to happen. Can't wait.
That's fantastic!! Just shows though, you had to 'quit' for this to happen. Do you think if you had requested these changes (wfh/ reduced hours which are flexi) it would have been a runner or was it a case that it was only when you handed in notice they realised how valuable you are?
Great outcome!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Welcome to the Brave New World of work-when-you-want-to! 8-)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

My plan is in a few years I'll have enough put aside to work part time. I'm lucky in that I work in the Pharma/Biopharma industry had it has a history of people working on contract. My plan is to have periods of months between contracts. I know of others who are doing this and work for 6 months or so at a time.

That's my plan anyway.....
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Clurickeen wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:56 am That's fantastic!! Just shows though, you had to 'quit' for this to happen. Do you think if you had requested these changes (wfh/ reduced hours which are flexi) it would have been a runner or was it a case that it was only when you handed in notice they realised how valuable you are?
Great outcome!
Exactly this Clurickeen. It was only then I got any acknowledgement.
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Life is too short is right.
Haven't worked for someone else in nearly 2 years.
Pandemic was the best thing to ever happen me personally, im now generating income online, and that idea would have never came to me if the pandemic didn't happen.