Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

'Bobby Fingers' video

DeletedUser

'Bobby Fingers' video

Post by DeletedUser »

There is a post in the “cool and funny” thread (which is neither) that is of a comedian taking the piss out of the accident that left Michael Jackson with severe burns - which also led to his dependency on pain medication which ultimately killed him far too early.

The fact that was allowed is bad enough. But reporting it and just seeing the report closed with not even the decency of a comment is wrong.

Is this like Boards where anything is fair game if it is about someone they think “deserves” it ??

Sick.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Re: Mod Decisions and Discussion

Post by 95438756 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:19 pm There is a post in the “cool and funny” thread (which is neither) that is of a comedian taking the piss out of the accident that left Michael Jackson with severe burns - which also led to his dependency on pain medication which ultimately killed him far too early.

The fact that was allowed is bad enough. But reporting it and just seeing the report closed with not even the decency of a comment is wrong.

Is this like Boards where anything is fair game if it is about someone they think “deserves” it ??

Sick.
Agree fully with you there, Plane

I know Michael Jackson has a checkered history: A case in point is "The Simpsons" cartoon episode featuring his voice for a character which does the moonwalk and interacts with Lisa - this particular episode has been erased and is being erased from Simpsons history - This does not make it okay to completely destroy his dignity as a human though
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

gugleguy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:30 pm Agree fully with you there, Plane

I know Michael Jackson has a checkered history: A case in point is "The Simpsons" cartoon episode featuring his voice for a character which does the moonwalk and interacts with Lisa - this particular episode has been erased and is being erased from Simpsons history - This does not make it okay to completely destroy his dignity as a human though
Nothing quite like censorship TBF .....the bloke was absurd,had unhealthy involvement with children that was never fully accounted for,surely it's reasonable enough to make satire of whole issue?

The world is forever too serious imo
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:19 pm There is a post in the “cool and funny” thread (which is neither) that is of a comedian taking the piss out of the accident that left Michael Jackson with severe burns - which also led to his dependency on pain medication which ultimately killed him far too early.

Sick.
FFS. Comedy is subjective. I thought the video was hilarious btw. You may not find it funny, that's fine, but that does not mean it should be removed in case someone else doesn't find it funny.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:23 pm FFS. Comedy is subjective. I thought the video was hilarious btw. You may not find it funny, that's fine, but that does not mean it should be removed in case someone else doesn't find it funny.
Agree 100%, it’s much more simplistic if one’s turns off their own internet rather than hopelessly appeasing everyone.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

I dunno PS. I agree with Pog that comedy is subjective. One person's offense is another's humour and I don't believe that should be moderated. Your dislike of the video is your dislike of the video. In my opinion that's not a reason for it to be removed.
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

I think, generally speaking, the moderation is pretty good on this site tbh. Not too heavy handed but not afraid to take action when it's needed either.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Sick.
Boards only allows it for people outside of protected classes whereas I’d say GUBU is pretty fair in that it allows mockery of everyone equally.
You have the freedom to post such crude jokes but you also have the freedom to pushback and argue against this which is sorely lacking on boards. “Any talk about such and such will result in a threadban”
We cannot separate the air that chokes from the air upon which wings beat
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Missing the point lads - yeah take the piss completely, no one should be safe.

Mocking an issue where someone was in physical pain and could likely have hastened the end of their life / fcking sick.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Jack The Stripper

Re: 'Bobby Fingers' video

I’m turning off my Wi-Fi for an hour later in protest.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Sick.
I'm not going to pass any comment on the content of the video, as my view on that is irrelevant to the modding decision which I'm happy to explain.

First off if you report a post generally one of two things will happen - if it is agreed mod action needs to be taken, then it will be taken. If not, the mod report is closed without even the decency of a comment.

If the reporter wishes to comment and question the lack of action, they're very welcome to do so in this forum, in which case I'll explain why I chose to close the report/take no action. Or indeed any other aspect that a poster, whether reporter or reportee, wishes to have clarified.

The thinking behind this is I'd prefer to have as much modding commentary as possible conducted in open discussion, for all to see/comment/contribute.

Your specific report raised a concern that a poster was making light of an incident in which somebody (Michael Jackson) could have died - In his latest video, Irish artist 'Bobby Fingers' recreates the incident when Michael Jackson's hair caught fire

I viewed the post, and saw that it was a YouTube video with a couple of explanatory lines of the who and the what. In my opinion there was nothing in the explanatory post accompanying the YouTube video that was offensive or sick, or even remotely warranting mod action.

As far as the content of the YouTube video is concerned I took the view that YouTube has some of the most draconian content moderation rules on the internet. They'd have a far lower bar than GUBU does in decreeing what people can and cannot watch, and I'm not keen to start telling members here that they cannot post/discuss things that YouTube think is perfectly OK.

I totally understand why the content of the video is not to everybody's taste but that in itself is not a good enough reason to delete it. Hence the post report was closed and no action was taken.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

WE dont need to be constantly compared to boards, thats not our yardstick. This is GUBU, and its great as is.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

kadman wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:17 pm WE dont need to be constantly compared to boards, thats not our yardstick. This is GUBU, and its great as is.
Sure yeah whatever - okay to laugh at someone set on fire here eh ?

marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

kadman wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:17 pm WE dont need to be constantly compared to boards, thats not our yardstick. This is GUBU, and its great as is.
Exactly. If I want to comment on Boards then I'll go on Boards and comment, the reason I'm on Gubu is that I don't want to comment on Boards. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:27 pm Sure yeah whatever - okay to laugh at someone set on fire here eh ?
It's horrible but lots of shit out there is. I find personal attacks on groups of people simply because they aren't white/male/female/straight/think like me etc to be unnecessary and Gubu certainly gives it's share, but they are just opinions.
Jack The Stripper

Just like that they vanish
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:05 pm Just like that they vanish
I won’t give a sad troll like you the satisfaction of telling you what exactly I fcking think of you.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:20 pm It's horrible but lots of shit out there is. I find personal attacks on groups of people simply because they aren't white/male/female/straight/think like me etc to be unnecessary and Gubu certainly gives it's share, but they are just opinions.
Fair point but given we are being infiltrated by Boards trolls how can we be sure a post is just tasteless and not deliberate ???

Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:10 pm Fair point but given we are being infiltrated by Boards trolls how can we be sure a post is just tasteless and not deliberate ???
I don't think we can.
Avey Terrible

Post by Avey Terrible »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:09 pm I won’t give a sad troll like you the satisfaction of telling you what exactly I fcking think of you.
You shouldn't respond to him at all.
Last edited by Avey Terrible on Mon May 01, 2023 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:18 pm I don't think we can.
Sad but true Frosty

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Avey Terrible wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:22 pm He shouldn't respond to him at all.
I know, I couldn’t help it - I’m sorry but obvious trolls who get away with it when they’ve been identified as clearly planks plants drive me mad.

Jack The Stripper

Planespeeking it’s obvious you have some issues and venting it here. Please take some time to steady your compass.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Sick.
I'm sorry Planespeeking. I can see now how you were upset about me posting the Michael Jackson diorama video.
Sometimes I just stupidity post something without even considering whether or not it's in poor taste.
I didn't post it to upset, nor was it my intention to offend anyone. At the time I was just in awe of the chaps artistic and creative abilities. I hadn't really considered how it would be viewed by any MJ fans on Gubu.
Looking again at the video, he does state that when he was younger, he was a massive MJ fan himself, and he also says how there is grainy footage of the incident available, but that he wasn't going to share any links of it, as "the last thing he wants to do is upset any MJ fans".

Anyway look, lesson learnt . . I will try to be more considerate about what I post here in the future.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Very decent of you, much appreciated.