Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

France is fiery post & thread ban

Re: France is fiery post & thread ban

Post by 678904673 »

With regard to the OP's comment. I wasn't offended by it but then I have a high threshold when it comes to that sort of thing. But it could have been worded batter. In terms of the Moderation I like that its light touch and that posters are free to speak their minds more freely. But there does need to be a line that can't be crossed, otherwise it becomes a free for all. The problem is that line can be subjective.

Overall I think Guburnor does a good job. I don't always agree with their decisions, like in this case, but they have always shown a consistent in their approach. And when it comes to moderation that is all I ask. Once you know the parameters you know what could what you can't step out of.

Finally, PlaneSpeeaking I've enjoyed your posts and I hope you and Guburnor can reach some accommodation. It would be a shame to loose you.
Johnny Von Pintland

Post by Johnny Von Pintland »

Some people just aren’t able for message boards, Twitter, Reddit and the like. Some people take it all far too seriously, others have difficulties handling their emotions, and others are simply too stupid to contribute anything of value to discussions.
Deleted

Post by Deleted »

GUBU becomes boards 2.0 ;)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

RogerMoore wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:16 pm GUBU becomes boards 2.0 ;)
It absolutely is not like Boards. There is much much more leeway for frank discussion on many subjects and one can argue or present justifiable (if incorrect or correct, that remains to be determined in most cases) views here that are instantly called conspiracies or far right or bigoted on Boards.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Johnny Von Pintland wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:01 pm Some people just aren’t able for message boards, Twitter, Reddit and the like. Some people take it all far too seriously, others have difficulties handling their emotions, and others are simply too stupid to contribute anything of value to discussions.
Yeah, I have an acquaintance, a nice man if a bit wounded, who gets drunk and goes on forums to deliberately provoke people with scathing remarks, things he doesn't even believe, he just does it for kicks and to placate his own demons. Takes all sorts, I suppose 😉
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Well PS, you have been a busy girl, with a chequered modding history to say the least :lol:

But I haven't been offended by anything you posted, so far. That doesn't mean I agree with you tho. It seems in todays climate we cant always say what we want to like years ago, and its coming to the stage where everything we say,write, post and do is coming under more and more scrutiny, and if we commit the offense of saying something off the cuff............eventually the site owner gets to pay for it.
For that reason, as Guburner is the captain of the ship, I respect that, and will endeavour to stay onside, its his ship, his rules

It doesn't mean I have never offended someone here with my posts, which I suspect I may have, as I tend to shoot from the hip on a topic that would be near to my heart, and would make no apology for that. But we need to temper our ardor sometimes if we can. I cant, I just go for it.

I wouldn't like to see anyone banned that adds content to the forum, which you do. I see CR's frollicking more offensive, when he should be working :)
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hello everyone

I am deeply grateful to those who have supported me, you will never know much it means.

I made snide comments which were very wrong and beneath me comparing the Gubornator to Beasty and this place to Boards. It is not, and so please no one think that. This thread has shown me that and I am deeply ashamed of my comments to the contrary.

I would like to humbly ask for a final chance. I so much as put a full stop in the wrong place and I will go. The level of debate here on the contentious topics and the fun stuff too are second to none.

To be banned from a site I have grown to love and has effectively been free therapy at times would be upsetting. To know it was my fault for very badly posting a point I later was able to put into better chosen words is frustrating and I am deeply sorry to have been the cause of so much trouble.

I would really appreciate this final chance, please - you will never get a second’s bother from me again.

Kindest regards,

PS

I
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:37 pm Yeah, I have an acquaintance, a nice man if a bit wounded, who gets drunk and goes on forums to deliberately provoke people with scathing remarks, things he doesn't even believe, he just does it for kicks and to placate his own demons. Takes all sorts, I suppose 😉
I’d hate to think anyone thought that of me Isha, we’ve agreed on so much and respectfully disagreed on others and I want to apologize personally to you for using your post to make my wholly wrong one.

I hope we can continue to debate although I admit it is looking possibly not. Thank you for the fun. Keep fighting the good fight
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

An option I suppose could be the insertion of Disclaimer posts or inserts. I can understand Guburnor not wanting certain things on his site. I ran a site for years and it's a fecken nightmare with people shooting off their mouths and saying things that are just not cool. It does contribute to what could be called the egregore of any site. Every post does. Outsiders or lurkers can recoil from intemperate posting or use intemperate posts as exemplars to prove X, y or z and that's an issue. So just a thought, a disclaimer insert from the site owner along with moderation.

I have been offended by different things different people have said. Yes, things any of yiz have said might have made me go ugh. I usually either argue back or just secretly think " you're a bollox". I don't report. Unless it's some crazy rare scammers stuff. I don't like racism or sexism though, ya know, basic stuff that is fairly recognisable. But having said that I'm a well known hate-filled bigoted conspiracy-addled transphobic antivaxxer far right poster in other places so....

I dunno. Just spitballing while eating me granola here...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:03 pm I’d hate to think anyone thought that of me Isha, we’ve agreed on so much and respectfully disagreed on others and I want to apologize personally to you for using your post to make my wholly wrong one.

I hope we can continue to debate although I admit it is looking possibly not. Thank you for the fun. Keep fighting the good fight
Oh that post wasn't about you at all!!!

We do agree on many things and I'd say we could both withstand a mud wrestling match to sort out what we don't agree upon.

I do think you are sincere.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:00 pm Hello everyone

I am deeply grateful to those who have supported me, you will never know much it means.

I made snide comments which were very wrong and beneath me comparing the Gubornator to Beasty and this place to Boards. It is not, and so please no one think that. This thread has shown me that and I am deeply ashamed of my comments to the contrary.

I would like to humbly ask for a final chance. I so much as put a full stop in the wrong place and I will go. The level of debate here on the contentious topics and the fun stuff too are second to none.

To be banned from a site I have grown to love and has effectively been free therapy at times would be upsetting. To know it was my fault for very badly posting a point I later was able to put into better chosen words is frustrating and I am deeply sorry to have been the cause of so much trouble.

I would really appreciate this final chance, please - you will never get a second’s bother from me again.

Kindest regards,

PS

I
Ok, ban lifted. Please, please, please try to think before you post in future, and if in doubt just err on the side of caution.

And will everybody else please remember that there is a limit as to what you can say here. I would like to think you will find that limit more accommodating than elsewhere, but there is a limit nonetheless.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Guburnor wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:19 pm Ok, ban lifted. Please, please, please try to think before you post in future, and if in doubt just err on the side of caution.

And will everybody else please remember that there is a limit as to what you can say here. I would like to think you will find that limit more accommodating than elsewhere, but there is a limit nonetheless.
You have idea how thankful I am - I will continue to post my opinions which are shared by some, all or none depending on the opinion!!

Thank you again all - we shall meet sirs on the hustings!!! And if you get that as a Blackadder the Third quote - even better !!

Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

isha wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:05 pm An option I suppose could be the insertion of Disclaimer posts or inserts. I can understand Guburnor not wanting certain things on his site. I ran a site for years and it's a fecken nightmare with people shooting off their mouths and saying things that are just not cool. It does contribute to what could be called the egregore of any site. Every post does. Outsiders or lurkers can recoil from intemperate posting or use intemperate posts as exemplars to prove X, y or z and that's an issue. So just a thought, a disclaimer insert from the site owner along with moderation.

I have been offended by different things different people have said. Yes, things any of yiz have said might have made me go ugh. I usually either argue back or just secretly think " you're a bollox". I don't report. Unless it's some crazy rare scammers stuff. I don't like racism or sexism though, ya know, basic stuff that is fairly recognisable. But having said that I'm a well known hate-filled bigoted conspiracy-addled transphobic antivaxxer far right poster in other places so....

I dunno. Just spitballing while eating me granola here...
I'm not keen on disclaimers or whatever.

This site was started as a direct response to the over zealous modding on boards, in which more and more issues simply were not allowed to be discussed, no matter how reasonably a poster might be discussing it.

It's been going on for a while and then I think it ramped up massively with the whole Trump thing, and then Covid turbocharged it even more. By mid 2021 it had seeped into absolutely every topic on the site. It's not just a left/right thing over identity politics, we have posters here who were banned for having the wrong ideas about trains and woodwork.

I had seen perfectly sane and rational posters making reasoned arguments getting banned and silenced simply because a vocal cohort of posters and associated mods didn't like what they had to say. Rather than debate them it was easier just to have them removed altogether.

There are posters on here I know were banned from Boards who have never given me a moments concern in what they post or the style in which they post. It seems mad to me that they ever even earned an infraction never mind a siteban from Boards. I'd love to attract more of them.

I'd also love to attract more posters who disagree with them who are equally capable of making their points in a reasonable and rational manner.

I don't need to worry about disclaimers to run a forum for these sorts of posters. I just need to make sure everybody here is on board with the kind of forum I want to run.

Which is why I keep repeating the fact that though I was sorry to see quality posters leave in the past because I didn't silence somebody they disagreed with, I was happy to let them go in preference to adapting a modding style to appease them.

And that works both ways. No matter how much content a poster might provide. Quality beats quantity.

The Boards 2.0 jibes are water off a duck's back.

Post by 678904673 »

@PlaneSpeeking good to have to you back. I know you'll have to reign things in a bit, which is fair enough. But don't change too much :D
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Guburnor wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:19 pm Ok, ban lifted. Please, please, please try to think before you post in future, and if in doubt just err on the side of caution.
Excellent moderation Guburnor.
isha wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:08 pm We do agree on many things and I'd say we could both withstand a mud wrestling match to sort out what we don't agree upon.
Any chance that we could still get to see the mud wrestling match between you two?
Just to help fully clear the air typ'a thing.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:58 pm @PlaneSpeeking good to have to you back. I know you'll have to reign things in a bit, which is fair enough. But don't change too much :D
I’ll still be the same lovable curmudgeon but will think more!!!

JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I love to watch a bit of mud wrestling.

As long as there are no bikini wearing willie'd 'women'. That was a very strange website. Very strange indeed.

Down with that sort of thing.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Apelles wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:59 pm Excellent moderation Guburnor.

Any chance that we could still get to see the mud wrestling match between you two?
At our respective ages I don’t think even the most ardent pervert would want to see that lol!!!!

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Apelles wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:59 pm Excellent moderation Guburnor.

Yeah, I wouldn't be offended by that at all :lol: :lol:
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:11 pm I’ll still be the same lovable curmudgeon but will think more!!!
It always does to remember the old saying "please ensure brain is in gear before engaging mouth" :)