Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

2 stroke oil

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
kadman
Verified Username

Re: 2 stroke oil

Post by kadman »

I just re read your first post.

You mention 100ml per 5 litres petrol.

Are you sure this is the right mix?
It seems excessive oil
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:45 am How much are we talking about
Well if it had been the whole 5 litres in my can being of unknown status then that amount. I don't really feel comfortable just tipping out any amount of petrol here and there, but then my Da used to always say I was far too sensitive :lol:
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:49 am I just re read your first post.

It seems excessive oil
That's the amount I was told when I bought it and I checked back with him a couple of years ago when it was in for service. He even gave me one of those 1 litre bottles that you squeeze and 100mls comes up into the smaller bottle portion.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:01 am That's the amount I was told when I bought it and I checked back with him a couple of years ago when it was in for service. He even gave me one of those 1 litre bottles that you squeeze and 100mls comes up into the smaller bottle portion.
Must be correct so.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Can you use the petrol in an existing car, or a four stroke engine like a ride on mower, generator ect.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:49 am I just re read your first post.

It seems excessive oil
:?: That's a 2% (or 50:1) ratio - the minimum usually recommended for newer two-stroke engines. Back in the day, I'd have regularly run them on a 4% mix, using leaded petrol for good measure!

These days, I tend to use a 2.5% mix (40:1) as I have a couple of engines where that's the manufacturer's recommendation and I wouldn't want to forget what ratio was currently in the jerry can, so the new ones get a bit extra.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Same as myself, I always use a 40 to 1 ratio, in all my small engines that are 2 stroke.

Post by 765489 »

I use 50:1 in my 20 year old Robin strimmer. Still worked this year. Roll on 2022 :mrgreen:

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:55 am Well if it had been the whole 5 litres in my can being of unknown status then that amount. I don't really feel comfortable just tipping out any amount of petrol here and there, but then my Da used to always say I was far too sensitive :lol:
Your gonna have to overcome your sensitivity Isha and just pour it onto the grass. It will evaporate. I do it all the time.

Don't think, just do it. After you do once and jump over that mental petrol disposal wall in your mind, it will not bother you anymore when you have to do it again.

Think how liberated you will feel afterwards. :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:54 pm Your gonna have to overcome your sensitivity Isha and just pour it onto the grass. It will evaporate. I do it all the time.

Don't think, just do it. After you do once and jump over that mental petrol disposal wall in your mind, it will not bother you anymore when you have to do it again.

I ain't gonna do it. :( I had a tiny amount I poured in a jar to check colour and I walked all the way down deep into my worst scrubland forested area and reluctantly poured it in a really brambly out of the way place where no foxes go - we have a friendly fox round here, you know! I am not going to ruin his day with petrol on his paws.
dawg

Post by dawg »

I couldn't bring myself to do that either ! ( esp as there is oil in it )

The topic of stale fuel came up ( not on Gubu ) some time ago ( WRT lawnmowers not that that matters ). There are additives ( jargon : 'fuel stabilizers' ) that can be used to stop the fuel going off ( apparently.....tho I've never knowingly had an issue WRT this ). Would fuel that might have gone off be restored by same ?

First link that came up from a search was for something from Screwfix ( https://www.screwfix.com/p/mountfield-m ... 00ml/6744j ).

I wouldnt see any reason for you to buy that brand and would expect that most motor factors and garden equipment sales/repair would have something similar. Do you have any of these sort of emporiums nearby ?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:54 pm Your gonna have to overcome your sensitivity Isha and just pour it onto the grass. It will evaporate. I do it all the time.

Why would you pour away a highly combustible liquid? :shock: D'you never have any pile of wet grass that you really want to set fire to? :?

Post by 765489 »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:06 pm Why would you pour away a highly combustible liquid? :shock: D'you never have any pile of wet grass that you really want to set fire to? :?
Only the bit left in a strimmer or chainsaw with me. I'd never throw out petrol no matter how old it is. Just isha has 5 litres of it contaminated with oil ?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

On the odd occasion that I don't actually run out in the course of a programme of works (sometimes several times over ;) ) I usually tip the remainder into the mower's tank. Whatever it was before, it gets well diluted after. But if I really don't want to use some dodgy stuff, then it finds it's way into a fire of one kind or another. I'd never willingly tip it straight onto the ground - there's enough hydrocarbon waste still hanging around in the soil from whatever bad habits led the previous owner to dump all kinds of everything on my land without me adding to it.