Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

3 Phase machine on single phase

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
kadman
Verified Username

3 Phase machine on single phase

Post by kadman »

It might surprise some of you to know, I know swfa about domestic or electric in a commercial setting :lol:

So my son has purchased a 3 phase vac forming machine, and we have no 3 phase.
Whats the best option for running it. Side plate says it will be using 8000 watts :shock: :evil:

Mrs wants us to move house when the esb bill arrives. I am thinking a 3 phase generator.

Thoughts??
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: 3 Phase machine on single phase

Post by CelticRambler »

If it's for (semi-)professional purposes, I'd seriously consider enquiring about getting a 3-phase supply. From my limited research into the subject, the 3-phase feed is not usually very far away (many older houses in France have it as standard, and the question on French DIY forums is how to route the three phases into a single-phase consumer unit [coz we're still allowed mess around with our own electricity, if we feel the need]) I would imagine that running a 3-phase machine on a single phase would result in less-than-optimal performance.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I would have to sell the wifes 2 kidneys for a three phase supply to my house. Its not a cheap affair at all.
There are convertors, rotary and static, but I am not sure if they will power this machine that needs 8000 watts according to the
plate on the machine.
The vac forming motor is a 3 phase motor, that I could run with a variable speed drive. But the element for the heater plate is another animal.

At the moment I am thinking a 3 phase genny is the way to go.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Have you conidered telling the son to feck off and get his own house?

I remember a colleague of mine, whos very rural and very proud of his young fella for getting his degree in IT, told me the lad was setting up a bitcoin mining server in their garage, I asked him had he planning permission for it. The poor mans face went white :D
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Banshee Bones wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:58 pm Have you conidered telling the son to feck off and get his own house?

I remember a colleague of mine, whos very rural and very proud of his young fella for getting his degree in IT, told me the lad was setting up a bitcoin mining server in their garage, I asked him had he planning permission for it. The poor mans face went white :D
Why would i ever do such a thing. I am very proud of both my sons achievements.

My house, their home will always be a welcoming place for them.
So a 3 phase independant genny, and a couple of gallons of cheap diesel ;)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Please remember when reading this that I'm NOT an electrician so I could be totally wrong. 3 phase is 415V while single phase is 220V(ish). The three phases are three single phases spaced out to give a greater kick. I doubt you could run a 3 phase on a single phase as it wouldn't have the required power. It would be down to a third power.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:10 pm Please remember when reading this that I'm NOT an electrician so I could be totally wrong. 3 phase is 415V while single phase is 220V(ish). The three phases are three single phases spaced out to give a greater kick. I doubt you could run a 3 phase on a single phase as it wouldn't have the required power. It would be down to a third power.
3 phase running on single phase power has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 20 years.
You have both rotary and static convertors that run machines on single phase power, that has 3 phase motors.
I have a Veriable Frequency Drive that operates a 3hp 3 phase motor on my lathe that works great.

But as this machine has some heater elements and a motor driven vacuum, and a plate that reads 8000watts I'm not sure whether
its able to run from a single phase supply, converted to 3 phase supply. Thats why I asked I thought someone might know :)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

kadman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:53 pm 3 phase running on single phase power has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 20 years.
You have both rotary and static convertors that run machines on single phase power, that has 3 phase motors.
I have a Veriable Frequency Drive that operates a 3hp 3 phase motor on my lathe that works great.

But as this machine has some heater elements and a motor driven vacuum, and a plate that reads 8000watts I'm not sure whether
its able to run from a single phase supply, converted to 3 phase supply. Thats why I asked I thought someone might know :)
We'll, I learned something new.

I did say that I could be talking out of me arse, and looks like I was!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Its just that I dont want to be using more power from the grid than some of the data centers will be using :lol: :lol:

Post by 490808 »

Just a thought on this, can the heating element be separated from the motor circuit?

If that is possible I don't see why you can't rewire the heating element to run on single phase and use a converter for the motor which should massively reduce the size of the converter necessary?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:06 pm Just a thought on this, can the heating element be separated from the motor circuit?

If that is possible I don't see why you can't rewire the heating element to run on single phase and use a converter for the motor which should massively reduce the size of the converter necessary?
I suppose thats a possibilty, but as I am not really leccy savvy, its something I am not really interested in looking into. Rather than a plug and play solution, I would have to go off and get an electrician to sort it for me. But thats probably something I will have to consider too.

I am waiting for a manual for the machine, along with a wiring diagram, which I will post when I get it.