Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Any (acoustic) guitar players here - need a recommendation

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
peasant
Verified Username

Any (acoustic) guitar players here - need a recommendation

Post by peasant »

So today, after about 20 years, I dug the old guitar out of the corner, dusted it down and re-strung it.

Now I was never a musician, only a fairly mediocre player of a few songs I knew well. But to my surprise, even after 20 years, the old librarian in the brain has found and presented quite a few chords and picking types to rusty fingers that worked reasonably well ...so there is hope that with some practice I might become mediocre again.

Ye olde guitar however has seen better days, some of the frets are very worn down and wonky, so getting the chords often ends in discord and makes it more difficult than it should be.

The guitar was never anything special, a run of the mill beginners western guitar from Aria ...no point in trying to get it fixed...it would cost more then the thing was ever worth.

Has anyone got a recommendation for a good guitar (steel strings, folk style) that doesn't cost the earth but offers enough quality to last me at least another 20 years.
No high end suggestions please - pearl before swine that would be - just something middle of the road, one or two steps above "my first guitar" - nothing more.

Requirements:
dreadnought shape
decent quality woods
no electronics needed
easy to play
Some package that comes with a decent case for storage might be nice.
monetary pain threshold 250-300 quid ... cheaper gladly taken

Anyone got anything to recommend?
peasant
Verified Username

Re: Any (acoustic) guitar players here - need a recommendation

Post by peasant »

some initial internetting has narrowed it down to two so far:

Takamine GD11M NS 2 Mahogany Natural Satin

or

Yamaha FG 800 M Natural Matte
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

peasant wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:40 pm But to my surprise, even after 20 years, the old librarian in the brain has found and presented quite a few chords and picking types
Amazing isn't it. Sometimes I'll be strumming something and I can't even remember what it is myself and someone will walk in and say 'ahh, Nirvana' or 'ahh, Oasis'. It's mad the way the brain logs how to play it but not necessarily the name or artist.

I can't give a recommendation on a guitar. Find a good music store and try them out yourself is the only way.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Here's what's wrong with the old guitar:

The lower strings have eaten themselves almost through the frets, so you need to apply a fair amount of pressure to make the chord.
DSC01264 (Small).JPG
DSC01264 (Small).JPG (87.37 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
DSC01265 (Small).JPG
DSC01265 (Small).JPG (96.76 KiB) Viewed 6504 times

And the top string always had a fret that was a bit to short, but now it's also so round on top that you can't press the string down without it sliding off
DSC01266 (Small).JPG
DSC01266 (Small).JPG (97.61 KiB) Viewed 6504 times
...but at least I can show that I did indeed play this guitar at some point :mrgreen:

Post by 490808 »

Fret sanding or fret replacement? Check youtube for videos to see if you are up to it?

Looks like that guitar has a nice action so worth the effort?
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

I've actually bought the next guitar already :mrgreen:
(once that's in, I might have a look at fixing the old one DIY fashion ...as mentioned before, it's not worth having it done professionally.)

So yeah ..spent the whole day on the internet researching guitars in my price point, reading and (more importantly) listening to reviews.

There is a pretty good music shop here in Sligo, but it is pretty cramped and I didn't really fancy squeezing myself through there, what with the virus and all.

My initial two choices above were extended to another mahogany model from Ibanez (AW 54), the Takamine having been dismissed as that one did have a laminate instead of a solid top. The Ibanez also was eliminated, because they used to be all mahogany but now are made from a different wood and the glowing reviews all seem to be for the old model.

Which left me with the Yamaha.
As it is a big seller, it has lots of stuff about it on youtube, also plenty of comparisons. And I have to say, purely going by the audio, I found it a bit to bellowy for my taste. Ok for the money...but comparisons were leading me towards more expensive models to get a bit of a more mellow, rounded tone ...but I didn't want to go over my self-imposed limit really.

And then I found my new guitar.

No frills whatsoever matt finish, but solid sitka spruce top, laminate mahogany body, bone nut and bridge inlay (the plastic parts on the old guitar are also gone kaputt by now) and micarta (fancy plastic) fretboard and bridge.

The (internet) jury is out if micarta is actually good, but I'm wiling to give it a try, since it's supposed to be quite wear resistant and the fretboard on the old guitar has worn off quite a bit in the busy spots.

So, having decided on the new guitar, I was going to wait until after the Christmas rush and then find out where to get it locally.

Just before switching the computer over to something else, I saw it listed at a lower price than before ...and available in Ireland.
Yeah well ...nothing beats instant gratification :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: so it was bought and it should be here by Thursday.

What is it?

A Sigma DM-ST

Never heard of it before ?...neither had I ...but at least on paper (screen) I think I made the right choice for me

got it here:
https://www.gear4music.ie/Guitar-and-Ba ... tural/28W8
must have bought the last available one in Ireland, because now they are shipping from Germany.

Now I need to work on my callouses on the fingertips again ... :mrgreen:

peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

It did indeed arrive today :D

Yepp ...everything I expected.
Very basic looking guitar, no binding, no fancy inlays, no shiny paintjob.
Nothing but a collection of good quality materials assembled very well. It even smells of wood.
Has a thinner neck than my old one and a much lower action (because it ain't bent all over the shop), much easier to play. Arrived perfectly in tune (even in this weather and a day in the back of van), sounds really nice.

I'm happy.

Only problem is ...now if it sounds wrong, can't blame the guitar anymore. Really need to work on my fingering (oooh, matron!) to catch up with twenty years of neglect.

Overall ..would recommend.

In case anyone is interested who/what Sigma guitars are ...here's an interview with the owner: (in a somewhat stilted translation from German)

https://www.sigma-guitars.com/support/i ... niversary/

Post by 765489 »

peasant wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:19 pm Here's what's wrong with the old guitar:

The lower strings have eaten themselves almost through the frets, so you need to apply a fair amount of pressure to make the chord.
DSC01264 (Small).JPG
DSC01265 (Small).JPG

And the top string always had a fret that was a bit to short, but now it's also so round on top that you can't press the string down without it sliding off

DSC01266 (Small).JPG

...but at least I can show that I did indeed play this guitar at some point :mrgreen:
Now that you have a new guitar you could try refretting the old guitar yourself :)

There's a rod going down the neck of it that visible at the top of the neck you can adjust if the neck is not straight.
BossBird

Post by BossBird »

With that budget I'd go for a tanglewood every time. They are extremely high quality with beautiful tone.

Just read the thread properly and see you've already purchased tho 😂
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

BossBird wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:08 pm Just read the thread properly and see you've already purchased tho 😂

And three weeks later I can report that I am very happy with my choice.

The guitar has a good action, is easy to play (I have to re-educate myself and stop playing with a grip like a blacksmith :mrgreen: ) and sounds fantastic.

Got it out of the box the first time, had to slightly tune two strings and haven't had to touch the tuners since.
The solid sitka spruce top makes a huge difference in tone to the the old laminated Aria and provides much better dynamic range...I can play quietly and it still sounds good (apart from when I get it wrong, of course).

The neck is nice and low and the satin finish is really easy to play

Overall, for the ~ 250 euro that this costs, I can wholeheartedly recommend this for anyone looking for their first or second guitar.

https://www.sigma-guitars.com/guitars/st-series/dm-st/
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

and the story continues ...

After 2 months I have reached the old summit of mediocrity again. The callouses are back, so are the old familiar chords (all the ones that cling to back of the guitar and don't involve more than the two bottom frets barred) and the picking patterns.

Time to get stuck in and learn some more ..a bit of music theory perhaps, some blues...a few new chords.

But one thing I've already learned:
For practicing quietly, possibly hunched in front of a computer (because of the youtube lesson) a dreadnaught guitar is not exactly ideal. It's like wrestling a cannon :mrgreen: The thing is big, awkward and loud. Especially the bass...and if you want to bring the treble out, you have to dig in more, making it even louder. Also, most dreadnoughts (mine certainly) come with a pretty narrow nut width of 43 mm..which can get quite cramped.

I really don't understand how (apart from some cheapo children's guitars) the dreadnaught has established itself as THE beginners guitar shape.

Knowing what I know now, I might have bought a different type.
But seenashow I already have the dreadnaught (and I do love it, don't get me wrong) I took the opportunity by the forelock and bought another guitar :mrgreen:

After some more research I went the complete opposite and bought myself a teeny-weeny parlor guitar

a bit more "bling" this time

It is a Framus Legacy Series Parlor FP-14SV VSNT with solid spruce top, laminated mahogany back & sides, ebony fretboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle and polished frets. It has a nut with of 45 mm ( so a tad wider) and a slightly shorter scale (628 instead of the standard 645 mm)...which means it has a bit less string tension and so is easier to play. Combined with its smaller and thinner body it makes it a joy to play...sit back, relax, put this thing in yer lap and play ...for hours if needs be...really comfortable.

But don't think just because it's tiny it sounds tiny ...to the contrary. It doesn't have the overwhelming bass of a dreadnaught, but every thing else is clear, precise and more defined. Because it's a 12 fret guitar (basically the fingerboard is pushed into the body by two more frets than the usual 14 fret guitars), the bridge sits closer to the middle of the guitar, allowing the top to vibrate even more. This thing is alive, reacts to the tiniest input and just begs to be played ...an absolute joy.

would recommend it to anyone looking for a "couch guitar"

Post by 765489 »

I had a small Ibanez acoustic guitar when I was starting out. Very bright sounding. But it got nicked by someone I was in a band with.

Try an E major ninth cord. Very easy to do in an open position. You have an E major, get your pinky finger, stretch it one step ( 2 frets) up from your second finger is resting on the D string.

Minor ninth is just taking your third finger off where you have it on the G string.

Nice sounding chord.

For the open A chord, there are a couple of changes on the B string you can make to get the Needles and Pins chords. Strumm down on the major A, on the up stroke take your finger off the B string to have an open B note. Then repeat once and go up a half a step ( 1 fret ) on the B. You'll get the idea.

12 bar using the bottom two / three strings

Bottom string open E, place your index finger two steps up on the A and D string, leaving the rest of your fingers free, the with your pinky or little finger go up one step on the A string from your index finger position and place it on and off.

You can either continue it on the A, B and D strings or slide up on the A position on the bottom E string ( has a better effect ) and you can also go up to the B position after that.

For the blues thing Google "Penatonic" scale. The "Devil" note is located one fret up after the fifth note.

1 fret up = half a step
2 frets up = 1 full step
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

peasant wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:44 pmFor practicing quietly, possibly hunched in front of a computer (because of the youtube lesson) a dreadnaught guitar is not exactly ideal. It's like wrestling a cannon :mrgreen: The thing is big, awkward and loud.
Loud? Ya wanna try practising the gaïta on a quiet evening! :lol:

Post by 765489 »

I'd keep at the big guitar too.. might be a pain but it's good for strenghting your fingers.

I've a classical lesson somewhere on finger exercises if you want me to dig it out and post photos let me know.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:34 pm I'd keep at the big guitar too.. might be a pain but it's good for strenghting your fingers.
I'll have to wait for better weather (when herself is in the garden :mrgreen: )
The dreadnaught calls for a bit of gusto...which ain't appreciated by the audience in the next room watching d'telly :mrgreen:
Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:34 pm I've a classical lesson somewhere on finger exercises if you want me to dig it out and post photos let me know.
Thanks...but there are already so many lessons I've shortlisted in book and online form I wonder when I will have time for all of them
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Final chapter (for now anyways)

Extensive comparisons between the two guitars have led to two conclusions:
- 43 mm nut width is too small for my ageing sausage fingers
- while a parlor guitar sounds lovely, a "big" guitar is also needed
so back to the internets for more research ...and I found out that there are guitars with 48 mm nut width. Well I bought one :mrgreen: for a trial and comparison with what I've already got.

End result ...I've now got two Framus guitars and a Sigma dreadnought that will find a new owner :D . It helped that the new acquisition also is all Mahogany, I've always had a hankering for one of those (see beginning of thread ..at least I'm consistent with that)

Meet the happy couple:
First the Parlor

and then the new one (Grand Auditorium size)

and both together:

Lesson learned and wisdom passed on:

If your playing style is mostly fingerstyle and sitting down, a Dreadnought might not be for you.

If at all possible, buy your guitar from a shop where you can actually physically try it on / out before you decide.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

peasant wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:59 pm If at all possible, buy your guitar from a shop where you can actually physically try it on / out before you decide.
This is, as it happens, the raison d'être of the instrument-makers festival I've referred to in another thread, coming soon to a field near me after a two-year absence. We don't get an awful lot of guitar makers, being more skewed towards fiddles, banjos, mandolins and the like (as well as all the squeally whistley things :mrgreen: ), but there really is no substitute for being able to compare and contrast before you buy.