Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

I'll have that for you tomorrow.

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
kadman
Verified Username

I'll have that for you tomorrow.

Post by kadman »

How many times have we heard that." I,ll have that for you tomorrow", and then not get it.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have tried to have items made from Irish suppliers, to be told it will be ready tomorrow. And then be let down yet again. I think its an Irish thing brought on by sheer complacency in relation to delivery dates.

My most recent thing culminated in it not being ready for collection. cast your mind back to 2 weeks before the christmas. I visited a local engineering works armed with drawings fully prepped of the adaptor I needed made. Simple item 125mm long 60mm diameter bar, with a female internal thread one end, and a male thread the other end. It screws onto my lathe, and my new chuck screws onto the end. Simples.

So I entered the engineering works to the customer counter, and the boss comes over to me. I show him the drawings and explain whats needed. He stood back with the drawings in his hand , and proceeded to gasp something Like Jaques Cousteau at the bottom of the barrier reef on an empty airtank . Then he started to tell me how tricky its going to be, and what needs to be done to do this and that.

I put him out of his misery and said" I dont care what it costs, I need it, can you make it". Thinking to my self if he went out for lunch for an hour, I could run it out in jig time on his lathe. Of course what I said was music to his ears. Price agreed he asked me when I wanted it. My first mistake was " There's no immediate rush, so long as you can make it".

This was 2 weeks before christmas, so I expected it the week after to be safe. "Thats no problem , I will have it for you in 3 days". Ok I said

Since that I have been in 4 times. And again this morning. The drawings, chuck and shaft are still sitting on the bench and have not moved in 4 weeks. " Sorry about that he said, only I am a man down for the last 6 months". Collected my stuff and left.

And I went to this guy, from another muppet who did more or less the same and had my stuff for 3 months.

This behavior drives me mental, so I am going to source an engineer outside of Ireland. Why cant people be open and honest, especially small business's.

GGGggrrrrrhhh.

Re: I'll have that for you tomorrow.

Post by 95438756 »

mmmm.

Reminds me of when I was small and I was looking for my war comic "Battle" in THAT seaside town when I was on holiday with mum and dad..

"We'll have that for you tomorrow".
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I feel your frustration. I try and buy as much locally or from Irish businesses but only if they already have the item in stock.
I try and not to depend on them as you will often be let down.
Delays do happen but if so, why can't they contact the customer when they know this - instead of us endlessly chasing up orders and being fobbed off.

"We can order it in for you" is of no use to me - I can order it online myself.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

When I am dealing with business that have to order in, I know they are at the mercy of couriers so they are not always in control of things, and I accept that. But when I am dealing with business that are manufacturing on site, and they take an order, and give a delivery time for collection, well I sort of expect them to hit in or around the date.

This constant fobbing off and excuses, repeatedly makes my blood boil. I always try to buy local, or Irish at least, even if it costs me a bit extra, I dont care. I prefer to support home grown.

But that train is leaving the platform fast now lately. I am drawn more and more to business's in other countries that give me a decent service. I am not looking for exceptional services, just decent and honest. I have done business throughout my woodworking career with German technical business's, and them boys shine when it comes to deliveries, calls, meetings They respect the fact that you need proper commitment on time.

Irish business's think they are doing you a favour, when in actual fact its the complete opposite, I am doing them a favour by paying them for product..
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I took my parts, chuck and shaft to a different engineer recently.

He understood exactly whats needed, as I gave him detailed engineering drawings that I prepared, and spent 20 minutes explaining exactly what I wanted so that there was no grey areas. He was completely on board with my requirements.

And was adamant that he would have it ready in a couple of days. Job done.
That was 9 days ago, and counting. needless to say my blood is starting to boil on this one now. Its looking very like I will have to contact someone north of the border to take on this small project.
I have thought of buying a small lathe my self and just do it myself. But that shoots the cost from 100 euro to 1250 euro.

This attitude really pushes me to doing all my business requirements for whatever I need to europe. Its maddening
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

gugleguy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:54 pm mmmm.

Reminds me of when I was small and I was looking for my war comic "Battle" in THAT seaside town when I was on holiday with mum and dad..

"We'll have that for you tomorrow".
I loved Battle

Ireland is the Island of the half arsed. Expect nothing to be done, unless you're kicking people up the arse.

Post by 490808 »

Its the classic reply of many no nothing store employees for anything that's not on the shelf. They are always getting a delivery "tomorrow".

Reminds me of the French cartoon "Asterix the Gaul" where his tribe has a saying "The Sky May Fall on Your Head Tomorrow, but Tomorrow Never Comes"
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I know what that's like.
Local businesses near me are daft.
Antiquated processes and will almost ask where are you from.
I don't want to mention the business or it's type but I had a two month long saga with a local business.

I ordered online for pick up, it was I stock and I was to pick it up when it was ready. I chose to pick it up because the delivery rates for a local business were way too high.
After I ordered they told me it was out of stock.

Two weeks later I get an update it's being processed.
A week later it's out for delivery but I had opted to pick it up.

Rang them, no answer. Emailed them, no reply.
Raised a ticket on their website, nothing.

I check their Facebook and they are closed to the public.
They also had different contact details on FB.
I rang then and got onto a complete churl.
She was trying to blame me for their backwards business.

Right, I said, I coming to your business tomorrow and my order better be there.
I went into the warehouse (yes that was a bit forward) and found a lad working there.
He got my order and told me that my order was there for collection for a few weeks.
I told him I was onto the office and he tells me:
'Oh I wouldn't bother with them, you know yourself'

I'll never use that company again and will not recommended them to anyone.
Now, I order from a company from across the country with no problems.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

The country is full of unreliable morons who don't do what they said they'd do and lie through their teeth to get themselves out of holes of their own making. From tradesmen to GPs, suppliers of goods and services, public and private sectors.

When a product isn't on the shelf, they'll either "have it next week" (they won't) or alternatively, it "can't be gotten anywhere"(it can)

"I'll get back to you on that". No, you won't, I'll have to chase you on it because you are an unreliable, half assed fcuker like thousands of others.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

And then local companies wonder why we order online from stores on the continent?

They deliver what they promise and (generally) fix problems promptly. If they say it'll be tomorrow, a week, 2 months, they say it up front and it'll be on time.

Then again, there's two or three companies here that deal with car cleaning stuff that are on the ball and are an example to the others. One messed up an order and copped it when it was dispatched but not delivered. They phoned to explain their mistake and had processed the refunded before it even arrived. Now that's service.....

Post by 95438756 »

I think post brexit and worsening War, more and more components will become unobtainium to the irish punter.
For me, the story of a British Hobby dealer coming over on the Ferry and being met by Irish customs and told he's have to pay extra vat then deciding to turn straight back tells me the lie of the land at the moment.