Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Washing machines - what to look for in a new one?

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Washing machines - what to look for in a new one?

Post by CelticRambler »

Fifteen years seems like a good life-span for the budget machine that has provided laundry services for the family since just after we moved to France; but now the main drum bearing is destroyed. I do still have the previous machine and could, perhaps, find, extract and substitute the bearing from that.

Alternatively, I could treat myself to a fancy new machine, and hopefully keep it in running order for at least the same length of time.

I do have a notion to arrange for a greater number of visitors once plagues and pandemics have abated, and this would be a good time to upgrade from the 6kg load to something bigger. I saw in the supermarket today that as much as 10kg now features in the "domestic" range, with one machine specifically offering a "duvet" wash cycle too - which is probably why I'd be most interested in the extra weight (or rather bulk).

Other than weight, water consumption and spin speed, what else should I be looking for? And what would be the Gubeen's opinion on a fair price for a new machine these days?
PogMoThoin

Re: Washing machines - what to look for in a new one?

Post by PogMoThoin »

Just buy a Bosch, it's worth it! We have both Bosch washing machine(~10yrs) and dish washer (~7yrs) and both are over engineered to have a huge selection of functions but we just use the quick wash every time. Neither have had a single issue
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I'd definitely go for one of those new models with the extra large door. You don't want your step daughter/sister getting stuck in the machine...

On a more serious note though, I'd back up the Bosch recommendation - like PogMoThoin we've had washing machine and dish washer for over 7 years - never a problem even when the washing machine filter was backed up with buttons and coins it managed to drain itself.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

While I appreciate the recommendations, if the best thing about a Bosch is that it lasts 10 years then that's really only "entry level" by my standards! :mrgreen: Most of the machines I saw on display yesterday had a 10-year guarantee on the main components, and as I said, the one it'll be replacing has run for 15 years without a problem. The dishwasher is coming up to its 18th birthday.

What I really want to know is whether there's anything new in the technology that makes a real difference to the efficacy of the wash, general operation and/or the running costs, and justifies spending 2, 3 or 4 hundred more euros.

(Point of order: if it says it's "smart" and/or "connected" then it'll immediately get struck off the list - I want something with real buttons and no more intelligence than a mediaeval washerwoman 8-) )
Last edited by CelticRambler on Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

The 10 year parts is a bit of a con, the parts are cheap, it's the callout fees are the expensive bit and you must use their techs to get the free parts
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:20 pm While I appreciate the recommendations, if the best thing about a Bosch is that it lasts 10 years then that's really only "entry level" by my standards! :mrgreen: Most of the machines I saw on display yesterday had a 10-year guarantee on the main components, and as I said, the one it'll be replacing has run for 15 years without a problem. The dishwasher is coming up to its 18th birthday.

What I really want to know is whether there's anything new in the technology that makes a real difference to the efficacy of the wash, general operation and/or the running costs, and justifies spending 2, 3 or 4 hundred more euros.

(Point of order: if it says it's "smart" and/or "connected" then it'll immediately get struck off the list - I want something with real buttons and no more intelligence than a mediaeval washerwoman 8-) )
here's a good article from wirecutter that pretty much says they all work the same so long as you use decent detergent:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/guid ... er-better/

+1 on the 'Smart' appliances. If you want real longevity you should buy a commercial model like classeq
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Doh, wait a minute it's a washing machine you want 🤦‍♂️

Post by 765489 »

This setup has no electronics or smart features in it CR. Will last you a life time if you upgrade to the galvanised version. :mrgreen:
Screenshot_20220203-125051_Gallery.jpg
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Cyclepath wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:37 pm Doh, wait a minute it's a washing machine you want 🤦‍♂️
If it does clothes and dishes, so much the better! :lol:

Post by 490808 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:51 pm This setup has no electronics or smart features in it CR. Will last you a life time if you upgrade to the galvanised version. :mrgreen:

Screenshot_20220203-125051_Gallery.jpg
Just shown my wife that picture and she wants to know where you can get it. Not for the tubs but she wants a mangle 8-)

Found it on Amazon (just the mangle, check out the 5th picture), but no chance of getting it here.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Yes happy with Bosch also both for w machine and d washer.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Make sure it can do a normal 40 degree wash in a reasonable timeframe i.e. one hour or so.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:35 pm Make sure it can do a normal 40 degree wash in a reasonable timeframe i.e. one hour or so.
Thanks, nlgbbbblth - you have the honour of being the first (and so far only ) person to actually answer the question! :D
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I use a 40 degree wash with extra rinse cycle and 1400 spin speed and it take one hour 11 mins. I like the fact that there is a timer telling you how much time is left til finished. It is an 8 kg load capacity. The dishwasher seems happy to do a 'quick wash' and that takes 29 minutes. It is a soft water area and the filter of dishwasher needs bit of attention every month or so. It also has a display to show time left.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

A quick wash with a Bosch dishwasher takes 30 mins and with a Bosch washing machine takes just under an hour. On the washing machine we never use the other functions unless it's for delicates as the quick wash does a great job and takes much less time than the preset "Eco" wash. Same for the dishwasher, we just use the quick wash. You honestly won't find a better engineered machine than a Bosch!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

PogMoThoin wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:00 pm You honestly won't find a better engineered machine than a Bosch!
That may be the case .... but (a) the Bosch machines are showing up for me at around 800€ ; and (b) they're not showing up in any of the "best buy" lists I'm seeing, most of which have an RRP of around 400-500€.

I can't quite remember what I paid for the other one, but it was probably less than 200 at the time. I can still get a similar machine for under 200, so I need some really good reasons to pay four times that price!

Like many of you, I rarely use any cycle other than the 40°C, so I don't need a NASA-style control panel and a choice of 150 different cycles! The only "new" feature that makes any sense to consider at the moment is extra load capacity for pillows and duvets. In that context, if I'm doing "hospitality" style change-overs, then the cycle duration might be something important, so I'll keep it in mind.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I was looking at Bosch machines in Power City last week and were from 370 euro upwards depending on capacity and spin speed.

Post by 490808 »

I wouldn't expect any sub €400 to last more than 5 years without needing fixing. Might only be a minor repair like replacing a sump pump to keep it going.

One thing about modern machines is that many have a sealed outer drum. What this means is that if the main bearings go you can't replace them as you can't split the outer drum to replace them. Worth checking online for any new one you buy if bearings are replaceable.

Mothers AEG must be 20 years old or more and never needed anything more than the sump filter cleaning (why-tf won't she take the tissues out of here pockets before putting garments in the washing machine!).
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:53 am Thanks, nlgbbbblth - you have the honour of being the first (and so far only ) person to actually answer the question! :D
I have heard of people buying new washing machines in recent years and regular-type washes are programmed for a very long cycle which would be a complete pain in the arse.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The Continental Op wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:58 pm I wouldn't expect any sub €400 to last more than 5 years without needing fixing. Might only be a minor repair like replacing a sump pump to keep it going.
Sounds like I've had a lucky streak then! But will it continue for the next thirty years ...? :lol:

I see that all the newly displayed machines have a reparability index alongside the usual efficiency rating. Doesn't seem to indicate whether that means anyone can repair it, though. :|

Post by 490808 »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:04 pm Sounds like I've had a lucky streak then! But will it continue for the next thirty years ...? :lol:

I see that all the newly displayed machines have a reparability index alongside the usual efficiency rating. Doesn't seem to indicate whether that means anyone can repair it, though. :|
I'm quite sure you'd be capable of most if not all washing machine repairs.

Luckily I've never had anything go wrong with the programmer, but I've replaced valves, motors, pumps, support struts etc etc to keep machines going.

My personal thoughts are a machine should work with minor repairs for about 7 years before anything expensive happens. Unless of course you are buying into the top of the range AEG, Bosch and Miele products but then for a machine that lasts 15-20 years you can be paying the price of replacing a cheaper machine 2-4 times.
BadaBing

Post by BadaBing »

With keeping your machines for 10+ years you are missing out on advances in energy efficiency technology improvements, bought a cheap Beko last summer, can’t remember the exact detail but it costs a lot less to run than the previous machine, it will pay for its self with electricity savings in a few years.
So you buying a €599 Bosch and running it for 15 years will be more expensive than a cheap Beko bought every 5 years with the latest energy saving features when you factor in the running costs.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

BadaBing wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:37 amSo you buying a €599 Bosch and running it for 15 years will be more expensive than a cheap Beko bought every 5 years with the latest energy saving features when you factor in the running costs.
Jayzzz ! I'm beginning to think that Gubu has a partnership going with Bosch! :lol:

Just to be clear: my expectations of a "cheap" machine is that it will run for 15 years, with or without minor interventions. So far, in the course of my adult life, that's always been the case. So, as I said before, I need a much better reason to spend 300 extra on a machine about which the best thing anyone has to say is that it'll (probably) run at least as long as the Sidex brand that it's going to replace.

I do accept that newer models can be more efficient with regard to water and electricity consumption, but then those things can be affected by so many other parameters - especially over the course of 15 years' evolution of family life - that I'm not sure they're all that important.

At this stage, it's almost looking like it's be more sensible to scavenge the bearing from the older machine (still sitting in the garage, waiting to come in useful some day! :P ) and try to repair the Sidex. But I'm not sure I have the time right now ...

Post by 490808 »

I think your experience with washing machines is far from what others have experienced. Normally get 7 years out of a machine before it becomes uneconomic to repair and I think that is the norm? Even thats stretching it if you read this radom link I googled https://inthewash.co.uk/washing-machine ... ines-last/
BadaBing

Post by BadaBing »

€230 save time and effort, if it breaks in 5 years it will owe you nothing. Less than €1 a week when you break it down.
https://powercity.ie/product/62051W