Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Odd Noise In My Car

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
isha
Verified Username

Odd Noise In My Car

Post by isha »

Okay, I know this is a bit like trying to identify a song when someone says it goes nah nah naaah nah nah nah naaaaahhh...

But

I have a sound in my car and I need help.

What I have done - I took it to my mechanic. He is a great lad who operates out of his barn in the hills, he is an absolute whizz with fixing cars and very dependable. He said he checked it over really well and can see nothing. He wonders if there might be a small pebble caught somewhere that makes the noise.
😞

The noise - you know the trick where you fill glasses with amounts of water and then rub a finger around top of glass and it makes a whirring ringing sound. It's very like that, but louder. It sounds like iron.

When does it happen - not immediately. It takes 30 minutes plus of driving before it appears. It seems to arise most when my car is going into slight right hand turns and stops when I straighten up. It's very intermittent. I may be imagining it but I think I can feel it in the steering column. I thought for a good while it was in the axis of front left wheel but I am not sure anymore.

Halp!!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
peasant
Verified Username

Re: Odd Noise In My Car

Post by peasant »

isha wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:24 am He wonders if there might be a small pebble caught somewhere that makes the noise.
😞
He's probably not wrong..pesky little stones in brake pads can make scary noises ...

Having said that ...the fact that it takes some time for the noise to appear is a bit puzzling.

Question ...does the noise appearing depend on elapsed time or does it only appear at certain speeds ?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Thanks for your reply, Peasant.

I'm not a madly fast driver and tend to stick to slower back roads but the noise has appeared at any speed from leaving traffic lights at a crawl to just over 80 Km speed.

The time seems to be a big factor. Just now as I approached my nearest large town it happened as I turned right at junction towards supermarket. That's 30 minutes from home.

I have been thinking - is it possible the metal in some moving part takes about that amount of time to very very slightly expand due to heat / friction and that then it occasionally grinds against another moving or stationary part or against a trapped piece of stone?

Or .. in that time could some lubricating fluid be used up which later accumulates in a small quantity when car is not driving?

Please note, I'm not mechanically minded though coming from a long line of semi autistic engineers explains my thought processes generally! 😅
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

disclaimer ..I'm no mechanic either, just a long term driver of all sorts of jaloppies that have produced all sorts of noises in their day :mrgreen:

The fact that the noise is independent of speed helps at least to rule out one thing and that is strange harmonics. Sometimes gearboxes or differentials have a "hum" that together with the vibrations of the engine can amplify to a very annoying noise ...but only at certain speeds / revs ...so it's not that.

I would tend to agree with your theory of either expanding metals (through heat over time) or disappearing / thinning lubricants.

My usual suspects in this case would be either wheel bearings or CV joints ...trending towards the latter (as faulty wheel bearings that make noises at any speeds / after any time should be diagnosable while cold or stationary also ...at least on a lift)

I don't think this is something you can diagnose with your car parked in the drive.
If it were me, I'd go back to my mechanic, have him put the car on a lift and thoroughly compare all the wheel bearings and CV joints against each other for play, minor grinding noises , amounts of grease present and state of the CV boots.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

peasant wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:55 am
I don't think this is something you can diagnose with your car parked in the drive.
If it were me, I'd go back to my mechanic, have him put the car on a lift and thoroughly compare all the wheel bearings and CV joints against each other for play, minor grinding noises , amounts of grease present and state of the CV boots.
Thank you!
I have never driven anything other than jalopies fueled largely by hope and fervent positive affirmations. Thus there have been too many awkward breakdowns in desperate places to mention.
My mechanic did say to me, come to me when it's happening. I agree with the last paragraph as an action plan. When it happens it is sometimes not a minor noise but rather loud. Perhaps my wheel bearings are playing me the sound of their people 😂
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

You never mentioned what make car.

But have to agree my money would be on worn wheel bearings on the front , or worn out hub bearings on the rear.
Most recent Nct would also be a possible help in seeing where possible wear is. Next time you are driving and get it, then lightly press the brake pedal.
If the noise changes then it points to brake pads, discs or worn bearings.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Thanks. A 2010 Hyundai. Will try the brake test!
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

Might it also be possible that during your estimated drive time for this to occur, that it is the use of the brakes that cause it?
You did mention that when turning is when you notice it more, and at such times the brakes get used.

With the road clear behind you and the noise ringing in your ears, try pressing/tapping the brake pedal ....... just enough to cause the car to slow and go again.

If something changes it might give an indication for your mechanic.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:04 pm Thanks. A 2010 Hyundai. Will try the brake test!
Failing all that just do what CR does when he has car trouble...................just go off dancing through the wet grass and forget about it until you need it :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The hyundai seems to have a some history of funny noises when driving according to Google
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:20 pm The hyundai seems to have a some history of funny noises when driving according to Google
Hmmmm. Among the reasons I actually bought it was because I read that Hyundai was among the top 3 or 4 cars that breaks down the least. It's actually a good car ....except for this troublesome noise that sounds like a major part could shear off at any minute (! :shock: )
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:31 pm Hmmmm. Among the reasons I actually bought it was because I read that Hyundai was among the top 3 or 4 cars that breaks down the least. It's actually a good car ....except for this troublesome noise that sounds like a major part could shear off at any minute (! :shock: )
Car break downs that drastic especially on a 12 year old car are rare. Metal sounding types from a car could fit into a couple of categories.
Rumblings and high squealing are usually associated with worn bearings, if felt at the steering wheel point to the front wheels and discs.
If felt as vibration through the car, that points towards the rear.

High squealing driving along is either a bearing, or a brake pad. A very light press on the brake pedal at 50kpm and if it disappears, then its a brake pad associated issue and/or wheel bearing. If any of the squealing or noise rumbling changes with the acceleration of the vehicle, then thats an engine related issue.

Definitely a road test will help to pin it down. There are a few pointers to keep an eye out for. If the noise occurs or stops altogether when you change the direction of the vehicle left or right, the that normally indicates a worn wheel bearing. Again if it disappears on braking, that too is either a wheel bearing, or brake disc pads.

A bit of due diligence and rest assured you will pin it down. Of course when Eamonn Ryan puts us all back on bicycles we will be so busy peddling like little hamsters to keep warm, we will have forgotten about any noises from our modes of transport. :D
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Thanks Kadman. I'll be taking her for a testing run tomorrow, do all that stuff and try to narrow things down.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I wouldn’t want to be doing any more test drives if it’s done it often enough that you know it takes a 30 minute spin, on backroads and is occasionally noisier when it happens. If you think you’ve ever felt it through the steering, it’s time to give the car to your mechanic for a pair of front wheel bearings and a careful check of CV joints while he’s at it.

I had a landrover wheel bearing seize once and it completely locked up the wheel. And those bearings are much bigger than on your Hyundai. A little noise here and there, then a few bangs and a front left wheel locked up on a wet road near Athy. Could have ended horribly.

Wheel bearings are as important as brakes and steering. Minimal miles now until they’re replaced, or you’ll be risking your own and others safety every time you take a spin anywhere Isha.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

JayZeus wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:00 pm I wouldn’t want to be doing any more test drives if it’s done it often enough that you know it takes a 30 minute spin, on backroads and is occasionally noisier when it happens. If you think you’ve ever felt it through the steering, it’s time to give the car to your mechanic for a pair of front wheel bearings and a careful check of CV joints while he’s at it.

I had a landrover wheel bearing seize once and it completely locked up the wheel. And those bearings are much bigger than on your Hyundai. A little noise here and there, then a few bangs and a front left wheel locked up on a wet road near Athy. Could have ended horribly.

Wheel bearings are as important as brakes and steering. Minimal miles now until they’re replaced, or you’ll be risking your own and others safety every time you take a spin anywhere Isha.
Thanks JayZeus. I will get it over to him again today.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm of no use to identify the source of the noise over other suggestions. My car gets a lot of quare noises when the tyres wear to a certain point, usually just over half worn. It depends on tyre brand, road surface and probably what I had for breakfast. It's been to multiple mechanics and main dealer and I've been told "they all do that".

That being said, I did have a car that the bearings woukd start to howl after a certain driving time and at certain speeds.

Oh, is the song "Barbie Girl" by Aqua?