Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Rusted and seized bolts - alternatives to cutting off

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...

Rusted and seized bolts - alternatives to cutting off

Post by 765489 »

Anyone used any of the penetrant sprays on the market for loosing bolts that are either seized or rusted ? I was looking at WD40 Penetrant.

The alternative I have is cutting off bolts with an grinder but if I could save bolts it would save me having to buy expensive good quality bolts.

Any other products out there in a spray / gel format that anyone would recommend? The bolts are on the old machines so can't soak.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Rusted and seized bolts - alternatives to cutting off

Post by CelticRambler »

Have you tried a heat gun? For most situations now, I've settled on a three-step process:
- dose whatever threads of the offending bolt are visible with WD40 or similar and leave it to work for "a while" (could be half a day, or more, if I've got other things to do).
- give the exposed end(s) of the bolt a hefty tap with a hammer, several times and from opposite directions if the non-head end is accessible
- blast the bolt and adjoining metal with a good 10, 15, 20 minutes of direct heat (I use a simple B&D paint stripping heat-gun). Sometimes, I'll pour cold water onto the assembly part of the way through, then heat it all up again.

With a really snug-fitting spanner or socket, that's usually enough to get things moving. Plenty of WD40 on the lower threads (+/- a good scrape with a wire brush) helps avoid the bolt jamming part way through the extraction.

Post by 765489 »

Nope haven't got a heat gun CR. But will now investigate :D.

I will get a small can of that WD40 penetrant and test it out.
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

I use a penetrant spray, leave it for a while and then use an impact gun. Couple of slaps of a hammer is no harm either. If they're proper bolt heads you can get a socket onto, just the impact gun will do the job.

Post by 765489 »

Thanks for that lads, will try the spray first.

Will let ye know how I get on.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:33 pm Nope haven't got a heat gun CR. But will now investigate :D.
A blowtorch will do the job too, or one of those weedkilling flame-thrower yokes. Just be careful of what else, other than the WD40, might decide to combust (or melt) while you're waving it around!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If all that fails then soak it in coca cola. I kid you not I have pulled out seized diesel injectors after soaking in coca cola.
It works better than other products. Put a coin in a glass of coke and see what happens.

Post by 765489 »

Wouldnt mind I just drank the last of the bottle of coke after coming in from the garden. :D
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

How did you get on Ncdjd2, did a couple of days of WD40 work?

Post by 765489 »

Scotty wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:07 am How did you get on Ncdjd2, did a couple of days of WD40 work?
It will be another couple of weeks Scotty before I get to it. I'll report back soon. Actually must order a couple of cans online later now that I've been reminded!