Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Good 3D print service in Ireland?

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
Séimhe

Good 3D print service in Ireland?

Post by Séimhe »

I want to get something printed in 3D. It’s picture frame, but with a theme of a pretty niche hobby. I dont know yet if I’ll need high-res or not but I have a 3D modeler working on the design.

I presume working with someone local would be easier and cheaper. Any recommendations? Galway would be even better as I could possibly avoid postage by collecting in person.

Re: Good 3D print service in Ireland?

Post by 95438756 »

Can you afford to buy your own 3d printer, not taking the piss.

Because all agents will ask you for a 3d print file.

would have recommended fella on Southside dublin but he's bit moody like a certain lecturer in filming in ballyfermot college.

There are other outfits but pricey.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

I don’t know how much they cost, but from watching other guys going through the learning curve I definitely don’t want to be involved. The designer isn’t charging for the print file.

Yeah, they so seem pricey. I’ll think about it some more.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Can't help with the name of any service, but can agree with you about the learning curve. Some time ago, I was tempted by the prospect of buying a 3D printer (even joined the 3D printing subforum on the Other Site) but soon realised that owning and operating the printer is the easy part; creating the files is what takes the time, and especially getting to grips with whatever modelling software you choose.

The deciding factor for me was the lads Over There saying that the best thing about doing your own printing was being able to re-do it as many times as needed to get it right. Eh, wha' ? :shock: So for now, I'm sticking with wood, metal and fabric, and the plastic can come ready-made from Ali.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

3d printing is a simple easy process to learn, and the materials are cheap, so is the printer. My lad has 2 printers, one for straight forward printing,
the other printer is for immersed printing procedure.

The software we use is Fusion 360, which is simple to use, and dozens of online tutorials on youtube. If you are anyway cad savvy, its a piece of cake.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I am a self taught Fusion 360 user, and have drawn quite a few projects with it.
Attachments
raasrendering-3a2f2581-e39b-46fe-8990-fea44ee85587-3500-3500.jpg
raasrendering-3a2f2581-e39b-46fe-8990-fea44ee85587-3500-3500.jpg (99.96 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Nice. I take it that’s a render and not a print? Hard to tell these days :)

My project isn’t that complicated. No curves etc. But the typical 3D print isn’t really associated with quality. I want to avoid the 3D printed “look”.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Séimhe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:21 am Nice. I take it that’s a render and not a print? Hard to tell these days :)

My project isn’t that complicated. No curves etc. But the typical 3D print isn’t really associated with quality. I want to avoid the 3D printed “look”.
Thats the item fully produced as a 2d model. In the cad programme it can be revolved 360 degrees. Its not a sketchup image, its a fully developed solid.

You would have to model the solid in a parametric 3d cad programme such as Fusion 360, Solidworks or similar to get the appropriate file dat to produce the 3d printing file.
You could then use the file to either print the normal 3d process printer, or the resin bath printing process that gives a higher grade result, but prints by dipping the article repeatedly into a resin solution. Amazing stuff.

My son has and uses both types of printers in his work.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

There are different settings and methods that will give different print quality's
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

A friend overseas is going to take the 3D printing file and print it so we can tweak the design a little. But when the design is complete I might be asking your son for a quotation - if he's interested.

Long way to go yet though.

Thanks again!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Séimhe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:26 pm A friend overseas is going to take the 3D printing file and print it so we can tweak the design a little. But when the design is complete I might be asking your son for a quotation - if he's interested.

Long way to go yet though.

Thanks again!
Thats no problem, but at the moment he is in Canada working on a film series for Amazon Prime, then he could be off to the Uk for a film when thats done. But let us know anyway, and he will see :D

Post by 95438756 »

OP Let us know how you get on.

On boards.ie, the mods will eviscerate you for that remark, but now I've said it.