Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Aluminium windows draughtproofing DIY

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
BrianD3

Aluminium windows draughtproofing DIY

Post by BrianD3 »

My house has 40 year old aluminium double glazed windows that are letting in draughts,. The rubber wedge gaskets where the glass meets the frame have shrunk and there are gaps at the corners - would replacing these make much of a difference? Assuming I can get the right ones, I see that there are sample packs available online.

I think there are also draughts getting in where the frame meets the (wooden) interior window sill and where the sill meets the wall, I have tried filling/taping these gaps but am not sure how much difference it made.

I think there are also draughts where the opening part of the window meets the frame, If I stuff foam strips in there, there is difficulty closing the window

Any suggestions on any of this. About 2.5 years ago I was quoted over 20k to replace these windows. Then covid arrived. I'd say the price is higher now.
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Aluminium windows draughtproofing DIY

Post by kadman »

You can buy virtually any gasket now for any type of window. As its aluminium its likely to be a woolpile gasket sealing all around the rebates of the opening frames.
And possibly a bubble gasket where the glass is placed into the frames.

Post up a couple of pictures of the gaskets in question.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Thanks Kadman here is a bad photo of the wedge gasket but you get the idea. The rebate gasket feels quite suede like to the touch, not sure though.
Attachments
20220523_214821.jpg
20220523_214821.jpg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Readily available, and simple enough to fit. Is that gasket on the frame of the opening window sashes.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Thanks kadman, I'm not well up on the terminology. That gasket is on the opening and fixed parts of the window - between the glass and the frame. The gaskets are 40 years old, quite hard and there are gaps of 1-3 inches at the corners so they have clearly shrunk.

BTW I'm talking about the interior of the house.

There is a different, smaller gasket on the external part of the windows. It has also shrunk and there are gaps at the corners.

Would this cause draughts? I'm just thinking ahead to next winter and cheap ways to keep more heat in the house without spending tens of thousands on new windows in an inflationary economic environment.

I think a lot of people are now in panic mode when it comes to energy and home heating costs. I'm hearing that insulation and solar PV installers are swamped with work.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

First thing to do is identify the gasket type you need, and buy a sample piece. Depending on your window type, it may be possible to replace the entire gasket length without removing the glass unit, one piece at a time once the gasket length is over cut the length you need by about 50 mm. You fit the ends first and work towards the middle.
If its a rubber gasket then you need a lubricant and a thin spatular like a 30mm flat paint scraper. Or you could just fill the gaps. Gaskets shrink with heat over time thats why they are short.

Thats basically the method depending on the window type and gasket. Try and slide out a small length piece of gasket from an already short end.
See what profile it is and what material.

Your previous pic is not good enough to identify the gasket.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

And you should only replace 1 length at a time, at 150mm increments.
Take out 150mm and replace 150mm carefully with no stretching of the material.

If you are tempted to pull out an entire length, you might have difficulty replacing the new piece.
And if you strip an entire window first, you are gonna be in serious hassle. Carefully does it.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I suspect your wedge gaskets are something similar to these here.
This is a repair pack where you only replace the shrunken portion. A cheap solution for sure.

This is from Amazon. A google search will help you find the gaskets you are looking for.

The bottom of the gasket faces the glass, the right hand side is the gasket face, and the left hand narraow edge is pushed in between the glass and the frame. Using a flat block on the face of the gasket face, and keeping the tool in contact with the glass. A tight gasket might need a left/right docking motion to get it started, with washing up liquid or silicon spray to assist.
Attachments
71qGHpFe1dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71qGHpFe1dL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (46.55 KiB) Viewed 3478 times
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Yes, those are similar although my one has a narrower groove than any of those. No doubt there are plenty more shapes available.

The gasket on the exterior of the windows may be more of an issue. It is a thinner profile. It has shrunk and there are gaps at the corners but I haven't gotten any of it out intact to take a pic of the shape. It looks it may be held in place with an aluminium strip.

I will look for more sample packs online, if I can sort the interior gaskets that woukd surely make a difference in terms of draughts
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The exterior gasket will have been placed in a groove in the glazing bead. You would have to remove the inner gasket, and then snap out the external aluminium bead, slide out the old gasket, and slide in the new gasket. Then repalce the external bead, and replace the inner wedge gasket on the inside of the window. Not a diy job really.

Once you replace the inner wedge gasket, then the option for the external is masking tape on the glass, and bead, and use a silicon of a suitable colour, smooth it out, and remove the masking tape asap, and leave to cure.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Great info. Even if I decide to engage a professional for the work, it's always good to not be a total ignoramus on how these things fit together.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If you do go the pro route then do your due diligence on his work for previous customers.

His work process should be to remove all the inner gaskets on 1 window, then go out side and snap out the aluminium glazing beads. Remove the rubber gasket from the beads, and slide in the new gasket. Snap back in the aluminium beads. Go back inside and wedge in the wedge gasket into the frame.
Thats the process for the fixed pain.

Each opening sash receives the same treatment as just described. Its a fairly quick process and should not cost the earth and you should be able to get an online quote with GOOD pictures of your window types, and sizes. You should manage a ballpark figure before you opt for a visit and specific quote.