Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Fence panel ideas

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...

Fence panel ideas

Post by 765489 »

I've a boundary with one neighbour where the boundary fence is composed of fence panels and concrete supports. They have been the bane of my life over the years as the stupid things blow out in high winds and are currently falling apart. The neighbour has leylandi trees the other side so was talking to him the other day about replacing them.

Anyone got any reasonable priced alternatives / creative ideas to these wooden panels ?
Screenshot_20220604-122622_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220604-122630_Gallery.jpg
isha
Verified Username

Re: Fence panel ideas

Post by isha »

Creative at least.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 765489 »

I just had an idea about the two long sides of spud boxes and slotting them in. There's a load of them abandoned on my neighbour's farm from the last crowd in it. The wood is good but not sure if the sides are wide enough to slot down both sides of the concrete posts. Will bring the measuring tape with me later :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Proper constructed heavy timber panels that size will be 200+ euros per panel.

Post by 765489 »

kadman wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:39 pm Proper constructed heavy timber panels that size will be 200+ euros per panel.
What are your thoughts on this Kadman ? Would it be any better than the shiplap fencing or a waste of time ?

https://brooksonline.ie/solid-cottage-f ... 0mm-uk4165
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:26 pm What are your thoughts on this Kadman ? Would it be any better than the shiplap fencing or a waste of time ?

https://brooksonline.ie/solid-cottage-f ... 0mm-uk4165
Tanalised treated, so should be good against decay, for a while. Its down as 45mm thick, but I suspect in reality the uprights are 22m thick, and the cross battens on the back horizontally are 22mm. But you need to check out the construction first. Not bad for 65 euro.

My own frames had a 4x2 surround frame with 22mm uprights and 6'x6' at 80 euro a piece.

So your value seems ok.

You could go with concrete panels between the posts, but I dont know the costs.

Post by 765489 »

Thanks man. If I can get 9 or 10 years out of them I'd be happy enough with that. The current ones are about 7mm so hopefully they will be an improvement.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:46 pm Thanks man. If I can get 9 or 10 years out of them I'd be happy enough with that. The current ones are about 7mm so hopefully they will be an improvement.
Only way to know, is check them out.

Some folks put a foot concrete foot panel to start off. It keeps the timber way from contact with the ground.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

If wind is a problem then "hit and miss" panels are the best bet. a concrete foot panel as Kadman suggests, is definitely the way to go. I would go to one of the fencing suppliers rather than the chain stores, better selection, good advice, although not necessarily cheaper prices.

https://www.abbeylawn.net/fencing/timber-panels/

Post by 765489 »

marhay70 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:14 am If wind is a problem then "hit and miss" panels are the best bet. a concrete foot panel as Kadman suggests, is definitely the way to go. I would go to one of the fencing suppliers rather than the chain stores, better selection, good advice, although not necessarily cheaper prices.

https://www.abbeylawn.net/fencing/timber-panels/
Thanks Marhay, they have a big selection. My budget is a 100 euros max a panel. I might take a trip down to have a look at their stock when I've got time.

The hit and miss may be the way I'll go on it. The neighbour recently asked if I could cut the leylandi to some manageable height for him, but they are at a still at a size where they can be safely removed completely. I'm going to suggest he should remove them completely and put in some nicer native trees which he will not have hassle down the line like you would with leylandi. It's a fckin curse of a tree to try and manage around a boundary.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:38 am Thanks Marhay, they have a big selection. My budget is a 100 euros max a panel. I might take a trip down to have a look at their stock when I've got time.

The hit and miss may be the way I'll go on it. The neighbour recently asked if I could cut the leylandi to some manageable height for him, but they are at a still at a size where they can be safely removed completely. I'm going to suggest he should remove them completely and put in some nicer native trees which he will not have hassle down the line like you would with leylandi. It's a fckin curse of a tree to try and manage around a boundary.
Absolutely, if the neighbour is agreeable, get rid of the leylandii. They contribute nothing to the environment and don't even make good kindling, a blot on the landscape.
Abbeylawn is just the example I used, I'm sure there are suppliers closer to where you are.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

We have an old D-rail fence with zero privacy between ourselves and our lovely neighbours, so between us we bought a bail of 5ft lollipop pickets and pinned them on (hit and miss) with a nail gun.
Quick, cheap but effective.
Fence.jpg
Fence.jpg (146.19 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

765489 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:34 pm I've a boundary with one neighbour where the boundary fence is composed of fence panels and concrete supports. They have been the bane of my life over the years as the stupid things blow out in high winds and are currently falling apart. The neighbour has leylandi trees the other side so was talking to him the other day about replacing them.

Anyone got any reasonable priced alternatives / creative ideas to these wooden panels ?
Your pics aren't displaying so not sure what type of concrete uprights you have, Assuming they're the type with slots into which you slide the fence panels, then you can replace them with decking timber like my mate did. He just cut them to the correct length and slid them in. He left small gaps between the timbers by placing plastic chocks between each plank (allows the wind through?). Looks great and super strong.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Cyclepath wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:59 am Your pics aren't displaying ...
I'd say that might have something to do with "765489" being long gone from this forum. Besides, if he/she is still talking to the neighbour about this fence more than a year later, I don't think they're really that motivated regarding its replacement! ;)