Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Internet Modem Extension Arial.

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
kadman
Verified Username

Internet Modem Extension Arial.

Post by kadman »

I have an ariel extender connected to my Huawei modem. It plugs in where the two ariel rods were.

I need to move the extender ariel further up the roof, but the existing cables are too short.

What type of cable am i looking for to do this for me, and what connectors or splice connectors do i need.

Thanks
knownunknown

Re: Internet Modem Extension Arial.

Post by knownunknown »

kadman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:48 pm I have an ariel extender connected to my Huawei modem. It plugs in where the two ariel rods were.

I need to move the extender ariel further up the roof, but the existing cables are too short.

What type of cable am i looking for to do this for me, and what connectors or splice connectors do i need.

Thanks
So your aerial on the roof feeds into the modem? Do you have satellite internet? I think it’s a coaxial cable you’re looking for. The only other cables are the cat5’s that run internet connection from the modem to a device through a wired connection.

Post by 765489 »

Can you take a photo of tge back of the modem where the connectors are Kadman ? Also model of modem would be helpful. What about the option of connecting a wireless access point and running a cat 5 / 6 cable from the downstairs modem ?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I have a aerial signal booster on the roof that is connected into where the ears of the modem used to be. I need to move the booster aerial further up the roof to get a better line of sight to the mast where my mobile broadband signal comes from. My ISP is 3.

My signal strength fluctuates from as low as 0.02mbps all the way up to 30mbps. The one thing is seriously affecting my signal is....a bloody chimmeney is directly in front of the aerial booster, so I need to go above or around it. The existing cable is too short for that. I suspect that its standard satellite co ax cable that I need and 2 F1 male threaded connectors, and 2 joiners.

I will post pics later.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

kadman wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:01 am I have a aerial signal booster on the roof that is connected into where the ears of the modem used to be. I need to move the booster aerial further up the roof to get a better line of sight to the mast where my mobile broadband signal comes from. My ISP is 3.

My signal strength fluctuates from as low as 0.02mbps all the way up to 30mbps. The one thing is seriously affecting my signal is....a bloody chimmeney is directly in front of the aerial booster, so I need to go above or around it. The existing cable is too short for that. I suspect that its standard satellite co ax cable that I need and 2 F1 male threaded connectors, and 2 joiners.

I will post pics later.
Yeah coax sounds right for that carries radio frequencies. At a certain length you might need an amplifier too for the signal. Probably longer than you require though.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Post a pic of the connector, you should be able to get an extension cable on Farnell or Maplin once we know what connector

It's most likely TS9
https://www.data-alliance.net/ts-9-cables/
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Just took a few pics, and lo and behold the cable is clearly marked :lol:
Attachments
DSCF4861r.jpg
DSCF4861r.jpg (125.73 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
DSCF4858r.jpg
DSCF4858r.jpg (149.53 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
DSCF4859r.jpg
DSCF4859r.jpg (102.08 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Need a better pic of the opened connector it's either f connector (same as satellite) or more likely TS9
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

as requested,
Attachments
DSCF4872r.jpg
DSCF4872r.jpg (103.91 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
DSCF4874r.jpg
DSCF4874r.jpg (103.63 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Basically I need to extend this cable by 3 metres and plug it into my modem.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

What you're looking for is a 3metre ts9 male to ts9 female cable. Try Farnell send Maplin, I don't have time now, I'll have a look myself later

Apologies, it's an sma connector
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

RUNCCI-YUN Sma Cable 2 X 5m,Wifi Antenna Extension Cable,Rg174 Coaxial Cable Sma Male To Sma Female Cable, For 2g 3g Lte Wifi Fpv Antenna https://amzn.eu/d/jm3LN6x