Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anyone have experience of wall hung toilet installation?

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Anyone have experience of wall hung toilet installation?

Post by kadman »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:17 pm We do 1 in 40 gradient. 25mm per metre. Get it right as pulling a Swiss roll of shit, piss and bog roll compressed and bits of sweetcorn isn’t the nicest.
Maaybe CR is going to change his diet to a more liquid substance to over come the steep gradient he has put in :lol: :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:22 am Maaybe CR is going to change his diet to a more liquid substance to over come the steep gradient he has put in :lol: :lol:
Well you see, me being a scientist an' all, and having a certain professional experience with intestinal waste in all its consistencies, I went looking for hard data to justify this magic 1-in-40 fall.

I found none.

Not a single study, by anyone, from anywhere.

Now maybe Mr. Google is trying to shield me from the unpleasantness of the world, but given the aforementioned variability in the consistency of waste, coupled with the fact that this "everybody knows that's how it's done" must date from the days when it was normal to flush 8, 10 or 12 litres into the bowl at a time (not to mention subsequent voluminous flushes for no good reason other than it's the done thing), and the curious spectacle of my local supermarkets stocking twice as many toilet deblocking products as regular under-the-rim stuff ... well, I'm not convinced there's any real-world, real-toilet basis for the recommendation.

If I was re-living my youth in Dublin, I'd do a project on it for the Young Scientists Exhibition. :geek:

:?

:idea:

:!:

But d'you know, I just might do a project on it for fun anyway. I have all the materials necessary. :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

This is turning scatalogical 🙂
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:40 pm Well you see, me being a scientist an' all, and having a certain professional experience with intestinal waste in all its consistencies, I went looking for hard data to justify this magic 1-in-40 fall.

I found none.

Not a single study, by anyone, from anywhere.

Now maybe Mr. Google is trying to shield me from the unpleasantness of the world, but given the aforementioned variability in the consistency of waste, coupled with the fact that this "everybody knows that's how it's done" must date from the days when it was normal to flush 8, 10 or 12 litres into the bowl at a time (not to mention subsequent voluminous flushes for no good reason other than it's the done thing), and the curious spectacle of my local supermarkets stocking twice as many toilet deblocking products as regular under-the-rim stuff ... well, I'm not convinced there's any real-world, real-toilet basis for the recommendation.

If I was re-living my youth in Dublin, I'd do a project on it for the Young Scientists Exhibition. :geek:

:?

:idea:

:!:

But d'you know, I just might do a project on it for fun anyway. I have all the materials necessary. :mrgreen:
Sounds like this little project is making you an expert in shite....well done :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I won't consider myself an expert until I've posted a 20-minute YouTube video on the subject.

(Please like and subscribe, and hit the bell notification icon.)

Then I'll set up a Patreon account, where people can throw money at me to see what happens when real sh1t hits a real fan, and other fun faecally inspired frolics. :ugeek:
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

There are calculations you can make on flow rate and fall degree. You want that invert level just right. The 1 in 40 is a tried and tested fall, you could go to 1 in 80, there is the risk of the shit becoming stranded.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:35 pmThe 1 in 40 is a tried and tested fall ...
That's the bit I'm not finding: no tests reported anywhere, and I'm too much of a cynic to believe that whatever tests might have been done waaaaaaayyyyy back in the early 1900s, or even the later 1900s have been checked against modern diets and low-volume flushes. The only "proof" that I've seen offered on any site (professional or amateur) is the statement "if the slope is too steep, the water doesn't carry off the solids" ... and that's it. No actual evidence to show that a sudden blast of 6l of water flowing down a 20% slope in a 100mm pipe won't whoosh a 500g turd all the way to the next bend. And then the same for a kilo of sticky IBD sludge. And the same again for a violent deposit of yesterday's Vindaloo-&-Guinness ...

What I have found (and experienced) are dozens and dozens and dozens of reports of blocages in systems that are supposedly within the rules. So I've opted for the configuration that allows for the easiest unblocking, and will live with the consequences should my cynicism prove to be misplaced. :lol:

(I will be using the 1-in-40 fall for the kitchen waste, but that's a totally different kind of material, with more frequent flushing through a smaller pipe diameter over a longer run)

(Oh, and the shower "tray" is graded to 2% too)
Jack The Stripper

Blockages are down to numerous factors, improper installation where you have a flattened pipe, sagging pipe, fitting incorrectly fitted etc.
A big factor is too much toilet paper, poor diet and not letting the time to get the last bit of dung go and just smearing it all over the rear end and using excessive amounts of paper to clean up.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:lol: So the fall of the pipe doesn't really come into play then, does it? :lol:
Jack The Stripper

It does that’s a given, it’s a factor of blockages I was giving when you are using too much toilet paper wiping your arse.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Interesting details here,
https://www.drainageconsultantsltd.co.u ... nts-falls/

Just do what the technical guidance docs tell you, and what Jack says, and get on with it :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:29 pm It does that’s a given, it’s a factor of blockages I was giving when you are using too much toilet paper wiping your arse.
No problem there - don't use any paper any more since I discovered that the toilet brush does a better job and saves money. :mrgreen:
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

now that you have that new toy for shipping paint, the brush is history
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Calahonda52 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:35 pm now that you have that new toy for shipping paint, the brush is history
My camper is not new, and ships a lot more than paint. :lol: Assuming you didn't mean stripping paint, in which case ... ... you might be on to something: speed setting 1 and they sell a soft fluffy brush attachment. :mrgreen:

Should have been shipping water-resistant plasterboard today (for the same toilet/shower-room), but the supplier was completely out and no guarantee of immediate re-stock. :cry:
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

You'r right, I meant stripping, too much French rose on board.
The low speed with the fluffy, now that might tickle my fancy, and all things in between :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Calahonda52 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:00 am You'r right, I meant stripping, too much French rose on board.
The low speed with the fluffy, now that might tickle my fancy, and all things in between :mrgreen:
In the interests of scientific research, I will put it to the test and report back. :mrgreen:

S'pose Kadman will be along in a minute to demand photos too ... :?