Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Old Telephone Directory - specifically for Co.Louth

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Old Telephone Directory - specifically for Co.Louth

Post by Del.Monte »

The old printed telephone directories were such a mine of useful information and they seem to disappear overnight. I'm trying to find a long lost relative in the Dundalk area and have tried the obvious places such as Facebook Community groups for the area but nothing useful. I feel sure that the person I'm looking for - even older than me - would have a landline. Anybody know when the printed telephone directories stopped or where I might find one? Thanks.
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Re: Old Telephone Directory - specifically for Co.Louth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

The last ones were printed in 2019. I remember reading that the take-up was so low by that stage that they were uneconomical to print.

I'd say post offices and libraries would still have copies although where you are might only have 05 directories.

The old style of Book 1 (Dublin) and Book 2 (Everywhere else) stopped around 1982 or so. I have looked for those on Ebay before but they never turn up.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Try County Library... I know Pearse Street library research room has old copies for Dublin,
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

What's the person's name - Sarah Connor? :D

I have a 04 directory here if you want to PM me the name but the directory is from 2013 so probably too recent. I have a couple of older directories for different regions, I'd say you're more likely to find an old 04 directory outside of the 04 region as directories for the region people lived in were regularly distributed and they would generally bin the old one (unless they were hoarders) Whereas they'd have to go out of their way to get a directory for a different area so would be more likely to keep an old one around.

Another source of info on relatives and their addresses is the Irish Newspaper Archive, I think a one month sub is about 25 quid. if the person has died at any time in the last 100 years you will likely find a death notice although it may not have the exact address, house number etc.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Given that you can find all manner of old junk on adverts.ie, I had a look on it expecting to find a few telephone directories - but no, none on there and only one in the sold items. These things could be quite ephemeral with even hoarders discarding them into the bin years ago.

Useful things to have for researching/stalking purposes.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I think it was their sudden disappearance that caught people off guard. I always had a small stack of them which served all sorts of purposes apart from research. One of the last times that I used one was to put under a leg of the Christmas tree stand. Useful things but you can see why they are now extinct here.
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

BrianD3 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:21 am What's the person's name - Sarah Connor? :D

I have a 04 directory here if you want to PM me the name but the directory is from 2013 so probably too recent. I have a couple of older directories for different regions, I'd say you're more likely to find an old 04 directory outside of the 04 region as directories for the region people lived in were regularly distributed and they would generally bin the old one (unless they were hoarders) Whereas they'd have to go out of their way to get a directory for a different area so would be more likely to keep an old one around.

Another source of info on relatives and their addresses is the Irish Newspaper Archive, I think a one month sub is about 25 quid. if the person has died at any time in the last 100 years you will likely find a death notice although it may not have the exact address, house number etc.
The British Newspaper Archive is also good as it has my hometown's local paper - the New Ross Standard and a handful of other titles. About £25 for 3 months. I found some great stuff on it earlier this year. Particularly useful for getting the facts on local stories where you grew up just knowing bits of info which had been distorted. Also funny to see planning applications for my parents & neighbours houses.