Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Window handles

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
isha
Verified Username

Window handles

Post by isha »

Seems kinda silly to start a thread about this but I need some window handles and ye might know where I can get them.
After 20 years of opening and closing I've lost several of the handle parts of these fasteners. I've gone to every hardware shop in two large towns, brought in a broken one to compare, and I've tried to put in the correct search queries online but I can't seem to find the same handles. There all the wrong shape or size or distance from the jutting out bit.

So question one is where could I find them?? And question two is should I just get different ones altogether? That's not my preference. I thought this would be easy.

The distance between the screw holes is 4.5 CMS. The elevation width of the handle I need to clasp over the jutting out bit is 1 cm if you get my meaning. I don't have a whole load of tools. I was hoping just to screw out the present broken ones and screw in replacements into the same screw holes.

They are right handles I think in that the handle moves to the right to close. But maybe that means they are left handles because they are coming from the left? 😐

I'm sure the originals were picked up for next to nothing in bulk by my lovely house builder but 20 years on I can't find them.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Window handles

Post by CelticRambler »

'Fraid I can only offer empathy. I'm trying to make a set of windows, and it's proven nightmarishly difficult to get any of the components, other than the glass.

It seems to be one of those things that's become an all-or-nothing purchase, and now that everyone wants triple glazed colour-coordinated sealed units, only hardcore capitalist enterprises are making them.

I finally managed to get hinges and a catch; I'm resigned to making the handle myself.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Oh dear, that is not what I was hoping to hear.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

This looks like them Isha, bit blooming pricey on this site.
Try googling 'Cockspur Handle' in Google images.

https://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/product/derwent-handle/
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Apelles wrote: ↑Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:19 pm This looks like them Isha, bit blooming pricey on this site.
Try googling 'Cockspur Handle' in Google images.

https://www.dgsupplyline.co.uk/product/derwent-handle/
Thanks for that Apelles, and I so wish they were the right ones. I've seen quite a few of this type in my search. My handles slot over the spur on the other half of the component. It seems to be an unfashionable set up nowadays. Grrrrrr. πŸ˜”

Apelles

Post by Apelles »

These ones aren't identical either but they do have the separate spur, much cheaper and you'd just have to give them a rub of brown spray.
https://www.screwfix.ie/p/smith-locke-l ... hite/2197r
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I had seen them. Having not much success I think I will buy them as a holding measure. The reviews say they break very easily. Will keep looking round. I think it might be necessary to get a whole different set up.
Thanks.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Common handle readily available.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: ↑Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:00 pm Common handle readily available.
Where? I have looked. Can you tell me the proper name for it?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

They are not a cockspur handle and receiver .
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Quick google, gives you this
https://www.screwfix.ie/p/fab-fix-craft ... lsrc=aw.ds

Its a similar modern equivalent handle. That locks into either a vented position or closed position.
Your existing one is of a similar type that requires only screws to fit.
I dont see the receiver with it, so I need to have another look. But thats for tomorrow, as I have an appointment now with a jameson nightcap.

Like i said loads of different types out there for casement sash windows, but Jameson is calling me, ta,ta.
Attachments
WebCat-0005001400020029.jpg
WebCat-0005001400020029.jpg (114.46 KiB) Viewed 30348 times
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Your existing one was a standard open/close fitting. The more modern type have a slot as you can see that allow 2 positions , one for closing completely and one for a vent position. They also have a locking ability too on some.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:27 am Your existing one was a standard open/close fitting. The more modern type have a slot as you can see that allow 2 positions , one for closing completely and one for a vent position. They also have a locking ability too on some.
Thanks Kadman. I will go in to town later this week and see if one of these new types fits the old spur. Having a vent position option would be great as presently Francis the Pine Marten does try and lift the latch at night occasionally πŸ‘€
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:42 am Thanks Kadman. I will go in to town later this week and see if one of these new types fits the old spur. Having a vent position option would be great as presently Francis the Pine Marten does try and lift the latch at night occasionally πŸ‘€
If you buy a new handle, a new proper size spur will fit it and should come with it.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Be very careful fitting the handle to the sash and take careful note of the screw length. TOO LONG will break the glass.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:53 am If you buy a new handle, a new proper size spur will fit it and should come with it.
Will they fit the old screw holes though, that's the issue in the first place. I don't want to be drilling into wood half a centimetre away from old drill holes! I just want it to be easy.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:56 am Be very careful fitting the handle to the sash and take careful note of the screw length. TOO LONG will break the glass.
Oh My 😭😭😭
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Its doubtful you will ever find a matching handle now, that old to match existing screw holes, so forget that idea.

You will of course match one screw hole.....maybe.
Your new handle will cover one hole for sure, so you only need to worry about one hole that needs filling.
Depending on what you buy you may or may not be successful.

Hubby should be able to sort it for you. If not, you might need to trade him in for a new DIY savvy model.

And no Bradd Pitts not it.................I tell the missus he might look cool, but is fek all use for property maintenance..

Bring the old handle with you and the shop guy should be able to explain things to you.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm the DIY person in our house, God help us 😐

Will follow the above advice, thanks πŸ™
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:07 am I'm the DIY person in our house, God help us 😐

Will follow the above advice, thanks πŸ™
Oookayyy.

Hubby probably fits into the Brad Pitt class so........Looks cool, but fek all use for DIY :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:57 am Will they fit the old screw holes though, that's the issue in the first place. I don't want to be drilling into wood half a centimetre away from old drill holes! I just want it to be easy.
Sometimes the easiest thing in a situation like this is to offset the whole arrangement by 1 or 2cm from the old position and drill all new holes into clean timber.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:19 pm Oookayyy.

Hubby probably fits into the Brad Pitt class so........Looks cool, but fek all use for DIY :lol:
Yes handsome, but it's more a complete lack of interest in DIY. I'm my father's daughter.😁
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:56 pm Sometimes the easiest thing in a situation like this is to offset the whole arrangement by 1 or 2cm from the old position and drill all new holes into clean timber.
I have raised one engineer. I think I may have to wait till next time he is home to make sure I don't shatter the windows. First to source the handles though, which I now have leads on
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

An engineer to be onsite to fit a casement fastener, oh good lord, luvvaduck , me auld cock sparrow ( cockney accent)

I have heard it all now :lol: . What can I say, but here is a set of instructions for yer engineer when he calls. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.free-instruction-manuals.co ... 943140.pdf
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

As a matter of interest is the engineer "civils" or " construction"