Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Window handles

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Window handles

Post by kadman »

Unless your windows were teak, I would not use a drill for the holes, I would use a small bradawl with a chisel cut face to cut the fibres. Its a safer option than risking breaking the glass using a drill.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Civil.

More civil than some about here 😛
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:13 pm Unless your windows were teak, I would not use a drill for the holes, I would use a small bradawl with a chisel cut face to cut the fibres. Its a safer option than risking breaking the glass using a drill.
They are teak. I'm going to be very careful anyway whether alone or accompanied
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

In fact I'm way more nervous than I was before I started this thread!!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

If you can accurately judge the safe depth to which you can drill, think about getting hold of one of this type of drill-stops: https://www.amazon.com/Clamp-Tite-Drill ... B0050683GC

Although more expensive than the traditional bit of masking tape stuck to your bit, as long as you've tightened it properly it'll give you a good "hard stop" at whatever depth you've decided is sufficient.

Edit: use the bit of masking tape instead to protect the wood from being marked by the stop.

Post by 678904673 »

isha wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:23 pm In fact I'm way more nervous than I was before I started this thread!!
Nerves are only natural. But I know you'll soon get a handle on the sitution :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:21 pm Civil.

More civil than some about here 😛
Civils for a second fix task on a construction project. Good god woman what are you trying to achieve :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all fairness i am going to need a jumbo size bag of popcorn between this and CR's thread. I am torn between the 2. Each one has an element of danger. Your's simply because you are playing around with things that have the capacity to wreak havoc and damage of all sorts.

And CR's because he runs the risk of getting arrested for some of his questionable exploits. Both exhilerating prospects to be fair.

I have made my decision, and I've decided to watch you............ break some glass, and do some damage to your nice teak window, which is going to be more likely if the window is plus 20 years old, and made from afromosa teak. Its nasty gnurly grain can defy the sharpest of drills and put up a fight against any possibility of putting in a screw into any fitting.

Yeah, where's my popcorn, this is gonna be fun. SSSssshhhh............is that the sound of crying I hear in the distance, aint you a trembling isha................you should be :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Unless CR comes to your rescue and fulfills the prophecy of becoming a legend.....................fat chance.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:o Janey kadman. Is it a bottle or a barrel of Jameson you're working your way through? :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:44 pm :o Janey kadman. Is it a bottle or a barrel of Jameson you're working your way through? :lol:
Barrel sounds good if I could get one. But the tipple is purely medicinal at the week end.

Back to the job in hand. I suggested a sharp bradawl for making the screwholes as it would travel the full depth of the screw, and you would know if it touched the glass, and could stop. And no possibility of breaking anything.
So screw lengths is a bit worrying for Isha.
So solution is to identify a safe length of screw to use. So piece of cardboard and a scissors, and cut an L shape in the cardboard, with one edge on the glass and the other edge on the face of the sash that the fitting screws to.

Now you can mark a safe length of screw on the card, less 3mm+ for clearance. This is the screw length you need. Or get the new fitting and face it onto the surface it will be attached to, and poke a screw through it towards the glass, and it should end a few mm away from the glass.Here endeth the lesson. Hey CR you missed out on becoming a legend on this one. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG (40.26 KiB) Viewed 33818 times
IMG_0867.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG (33.09 KiB) Viewed 33818 times
IMG_0870.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG (35.31 KiB) Viewed 33818 times
Last edited by kadman on Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I don't even drink but I might take it up now 🥺
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I didn't even tell the whole story. I have four broken handles. So four potential disasters.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Turning out to be one of the epic threads on Gubu.... :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:00 pmHey CR you missed out on becoming a legend on this one. :lol:
I'm too busy trying not to drill into the scavenged double glazed panes of my own window to be thinking about legendary status. 8-)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:51 pm 'Fraid I can only offer empathy. I'm trying to make a set of windows, and it's proven nightmarishly difficult to get any of the components, other than the glass.

It seems to be one of those things that's become an all-or-nothing purchase, and now that everyone wants triple glazed colour-coordinated sealed units, only hardcore capitalist enterprises are making them.

I finally managed to get hinges and a catch; I'm resigned to making the handle myself.
You are going to make a set of windows. Boy oh boy this should be good :lol:

Perhaps you could throw up an old thread on it, just in case someone wants to know how NOT to make a set of windows ;)

I am joking of course, I have made windows in traditional methods for listed buildings and all the way up to modern gothic style designs. I can throw in a few pointers to help you make the cheapest form of construction for the glass type units you have.

You have the floor
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Not to mention that you have some very technically proficient posters already posting on this site that can make your project very simple for you.
And we also will have Isha on board with her engineer to fit the handles. Sure the project is halfway there, technically ;)
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

isha wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:55 pm I didn't even tell the whole story. I have four broken handles. So four potential disasters.
I just looked now. I had those very same handles in that very colour in my old house in Clonmel.
I bought replacements in Bob Fitzgerald's in Clonmel.
We used the original screws so no drama with glass.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Fratello wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:31 pm I just looked now. I had those very same handles in that very colour in my old house in Clonmel.
I bought replacements in Bob Fitzgerald's in Clonmel.
We used the original screws so no drama with glass.
Oh wow!!! Did you get them recently?? I see they have a Facebook page. I'm going to email them the picture.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Message sent. Waiting with new hope 😉
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:32 pm You have the floor
No, don't have the floor yet - that's on the 2024 agenda! :mrgreen:

The prototype window is made, and in the process of being fitted today. For once, I have got myself organised enough to take pics of the project from start to finish. Or at least up to now - still time to forget to take the last few pics. :lol:

A thread will follow in due course.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

No joy from Clonmel 🥺 doesn't stock them as they are not available anymore. If I glue my windows shut for the holidays. ..
..😳
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Why is it imperative to get the EXACT type you have as thats going to be difficult. You may have to compromise. Post up a pic of the handle for closer inspection, and any casting numbers inside the handle
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:55 pm I didn't even tell the whole story. I have four broken handles. So four potential disasters.
Sounds like a warning sign to me to change the remaining handles to a newer vented fastener type, or risk going through all this for outdated ones in the future, again.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

To avoid drilling more holes into the wood. I presume that weakens the general area. And it involves drilling in really awkward places. That's my biggest motivation. I just wanted to replace the flipping things in as smooth a way as possible. How can something disappear completely off the market in just twenty years.

I'm following up another lead and going to town tomorrow where I'm going to really scour the place, so I will park this while I exhaust some avenues of possibility.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

They are nothing fancy. They were probably 50 cent a piece when bought. Just Basta basic handles. I've lost the screws because I've been carting them around for a while on the off chance I would find something similar but I can always take a screw out of another broken handle 😐

This is the back of the broken handle. No identifying cast marks.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Basta casement stay fastener...............................common as much. Any window replacement company will have dozens of them, or old established joinery's will have them. Munster joinery, marketplace, donedeal, adverts..

need i go on.