Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Spare Wheel storage area cover

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
isha
Verified Username

Spare Wheel storage area cover

Post by isha »

No sniggering. I spilled a small but not insignificant amount of petrol in the back of my car. I have had to jettison the hard cover area over the place where the spare wheel is stored. Otherwise I would die from inhaling petrol fumes.

Questions
1) what's this cover called? It's not a boot liner. It's the hard cover. I need to know this to Google it.
2) are there universal generic versions I can peruse to buy a replacement?
3) where sells this kind of thing cheaply?
Hyundai estate 2010.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
PogMoThoin22

Re: Spare Wheel storage area cover

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

https://www.partfinder.ie/

Put your details in here, you will be notified which breakers are breaking the vehicle. What you're looking for is the boot mat or liner
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Give us a picture of the cover which you are having trouble with. I would have thought hardcover would be of a material that petrol could be washed away from.

Petrol smell inside of a car is a nasty situation. I suppose blaming hubby wont work then :D
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:10 pm https://www.partfinder.ie/

Put your details in here, you will be notified which breakers are breaking the vehicle. What you're looking for is the boot mat or liner
That's a really useful site. I've found three dismantlers with the same car in neighbouring counties, so I'll give them a call on Monday. Thanks
Last edited by isha on Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:17 pm Give us a picture of the cover which you are having trouble with. I would have thought hardcover would be of a material that petrol could be washed away from.

Petrol smell inside of a car is a nasty situation. I suppose blaming hubby wont work then :D
Yeah actually maybe it could be washed. I'm going to take the power washer to it tomorrow. And loads of fairy liquid. My main reason for being concerned apart from asphyxiation is the blooming NCT is due soon.

Edit - when I say hardcover the body of it is hard but the upward facing side with the petrol is kind of carpet material. They don't separate.

(He knows my ways. He did tell me not to carry the petrol container in the boot, but sure lookit , I can't be stopped 🙄)
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

If you take out the cover and leave it somewhere well ventilated for a few days, would the petrol not just evaporate?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

BrianD3 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:54 pm If you take out the cover and leave it somewhere well ventilated for a few days, would the petrol not just evaporate?
I wondered about that alright. It's outside now anyway cos it's not allowed in the shed.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Baking soda, sprinkled over the spill area, left overnight and then knocked/brushed off tomorrow will help. Do the same a second time if needed.

After doing the above, use a citrus degreaser (specifically a citrus type) to wash the carpeted part of the boot floor liner.

It'll knock out most if not quite all of the smell and it will eventually dissipate.

Unless it's two stroke petrol mix. In that case, you're ufcked, so a replacement is the only sensible way forward.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

isha wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:22 pm That's a really useful site. I've found three dismantlers with the same car in neighbouring counties, so I'll give them a call on Monday. Thanks
You don't need to limit yourself to nearby, they'll all ship for less than driving there, about a tenner
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

JayZeus wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:32 pm Baking soda, sprinkled over the spill area, left overnight and then knocked/brushed off tomorrow will help. Do the same a second time if needed.

After doing the above, use a citrus degreaser (specifically a citrus type) to wash the carpeted part of the boot floor liner.

It'll knock out most if not quite all of the smell and it will eventually dissipate.

Unless it's two stroke petrol mix. In that case, you're ufcked, so a replacement is the only sensible way forward.
I'll give this a try. I'm a big fan of the powers of sodium bicarbonate and I have a stock of it.

Thanks all. I've enough solutions now to make this work.