Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Rusty lug nuts - how to get the last three off?

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Rusty lug nuts - how to get the last three off?

Post by CelticRambler »

Simple problem, complicated resolution. :cry:

I have these vintage wheels (WW2 US Army) with vintage tyres that need to be replaced. How do I get the last three nuts off? :x

So far, I've tried soaking them in WD40, heating, soaking in WD40, more heating, soaking in WD40, yet more heating, using an extension bar (1.5m), smacking my spanner with a lump hammer, soaking in WD40, smacking the extension bar with sledge hammer, smacking the nuts themselves "over the top" with the lump hammer and a short piece of steel pipe.

I don't have an impact driver, nor a compressor. I do have a hammer drill with chisel bits. I've recently acquired a new blow-torch, but have limited myself to about five minutes of direct heat for fear of melting the damn things, unless/until I hear otherwise.

In the local auto-shop the other day, I saw cans of cryo spray that claimed to be just the thing ... but the guy at the desk said nahhh, that won't work.

Additional details : these are 1.5" reverse-threaded nuts; the spanner was bought to fit (I cannot find a 1.5" socket, especially because stoopid "AI" search engines keep trying to persuade me that I meant 15mm or stuffing up my results with some other irrelevance :x )

All five nuts on the right wheel came off with relative ease; the first two on this wheel were bloody awkward, although a little easier once I'd cleaned them up and saw the "L" stamped on them, and realised that they needed to be unscrewed the wrong way ... :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Rusty lug nuts - how to get the last three off?

Post by kadman »

Nut splitter.

Yep it sounds painful, but thats the last resort option as you would find it tricky to replace the reverse threaded nuts.

Dont be tempted to whack the ends of the nuts if there is any danger of whacking the stud. Its game over then, and alot of hardwork ahead.

My goto tool in this case would be a 1" wide cold chisel as used for masonary it wont let you down. Nice sharp one. Position the chisel at a 90 degree to the centre of the stud and 5 or 6 smacks to put an indent in the stud, and this is your starting point for the chisel. A slight tilt of the chisel towards your chosen direction, and belt away.

Watch the fingers
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Before I go wrecking things, how hot can I heat those nuts, and is it likely to make any difference? My previous attempts were with a glorified weedkilling flame thrower, so may never have been really as hot as needed.
kadman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:20 pm ... 5 or 6 smacks to put an indent in the stud ...
D'you mean put an indent in the nut? Would you be trying to actually split the nut, or to get it to turn?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If you are not using the hubs again then its no big deal what damage you do to the studs.

Then again yankee war machinery was made to service in the field, so chances are the studs are a whack out serrated stud, and would be easily replaced with a right hand thread of an imperial size which would be easy enough to get.

Then general patton its onwards to paris, the yanks are coning :lol: .
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Weed killer wont heat them to cherry red. Oxy acetylene to cherry red will do the job, and then maybe the spanner, but I would use the chisel.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

They don't look that bad and the fact that some came off easily enough is a good sign - this 1.5 metre extension, you are using it with a spanner? How well is the spanner fitting with the extension, are you getting "leakage". I have a feeling that if you were to acquire a 1.5 inch socket and use it with a breaker bar and swing out of it, that would work?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:35 pm If you are not using the hubs again then its no big deal what damage you do to the studs.
Yep, want to use the hubs (and axle) again. And the wheels! 'Tis the reason I set about acquiring the relic.
BrianD3 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am They don't look that bad and the fact that some came off easily enough is a good sign - this 1.5 metre extension, you are using it with a spanner? How well is the spanner fitting with the extension, are you getting "leakage".
Yes - old steel pipe fitted snugly over the end of the spanner. Spanner is a "one-ended" version, sold for use on 1.5" plumbing fittings, with a slight taper on the handle, so it jams into the pipe nicely.

Another detail: when I've applied heat, the previously-applied oil does bubble out from small gaps between the nut and the thread. Don't know if that's of much significance though.

Any opinions on the cryo stuff? Would it be feasible to apply it only to the stud?

And regarding the heat - how long is "not enough yet"? A couple of minutes, five minutes, ten minutes? My experience to date (on smaller, much rustier nut-bolt combos) is that they tend to shear off before loosening, so maybe I'm being just a bit too cautious.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Heat them and try actually tightening them a little first with a stillson wrench before loosening, that usually works.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Apelles wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am Heat them and try actually tightening them a little first with a stillson wrench before loosening, that usually works.
:lol: Inadvertently did that before I spotted that they were reverse-threaded.

My trusty stillson wrench took two looks at the job and said ... feck this, I'm off to the fix-it pile. The hastily bought replacement stillson wrench took one look at the job and snapped in two. :roll:
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am Yes - old steel pipe fitted snugly over the end of the spanner. Spanner is a "one-ended" version, sold for use on 1.5" plumbing fittings, with a slight taper on the handle, so it jams into the pipe nicely.
I still think you are getting leakage unless you BATE the spanner into the pipe which itself may be bending as it is hollow, resulting in more leakage. I've always found 3 foot long breaker bars with a 3/4 inch drive to be more effective than extending shorter bars with pipes.

Also there's the safety implications of extensions like this, part of the reason for my lack of success with them is probably my own fear that something will fly and take my head off.

I'd say the chap in the shop was right that cryo in a can won't do much. So the options are - tap nut with a chisel and possibly have to replace it. Or spend 100+ quid on a breaker bar + imperial socket (easily available here, not sure about France) which may not work. Or outsource the problem to some grumpy ould French lad who will have all the proper tools, heat etc., I have a feeling that he would have that nut off in a jiffy.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If you are still having trouble, then get a slogging spanner, and bate the bejesus out of it with a big sledge :mrgreen:
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 13-24-48 108-30 SAM Slogging Spanner 30mm Metric No 190 mm Overall No RS.png
Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 13-24-48 108-30 SAM Slogging Spanner 30mm Metric No 190 mm Overall No RS.png (90.92 KiB) Viewed 236 times