Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Any sparks on here?

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
esdras

Any sparks on here?

Post by esdras »

Any electricians about?

We are in the process of buying an apartment and I'm thinking abut getting the light switches / sockets changed as they are the old 1970s ones.

I was thinking the nickel effect toggle switches, and nickel effect sockets. Is there any reason why they can't go in, assuming they fit?
The builder doing the work will be arranging, but just wanted to check in advance.
dawg

Re: Any sparks on here?

Post by dawg »

esdras wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:12 am Any electricians about?

We are in the process of buying an apartment and I'm thinking abut getting the light switches / sockets changed as they are the old 1970s ones.

I was thinking the nickel effect toggle switches, and nickel effect sockets. Is there any reason why they can't go in, assuming they fit?
The builder doing the work will be arranging, but just wanted to check in advance.
I'm not a sparks

Metal faceplates ( switches sockets etc ) I would guess would need to be earthed.
Shouldnt be a problem for sockets ( as earth should be present ).
Might be a problem for light switches ( as earth not necessarily present ).
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

And its only a RECI who can do the work for you on electrics, so make sure of that . ;)
tphase
Verified Username

Post by tphase »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:18 pm And its only a RECI who can do the work for you on electrics, so make sure of that . ;)
unless it's minor works, of course..... :)
esdras

Post by esdras »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:18 pm And its only a RECI who can do the work for you on electrics, so make sure of that . ;)
Of course! Builder will arrange the sparks.