Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Tyre gunk for garden ride on mower?

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...

Tyre gunk for garden ride on mower?

Post by 490808 »

I've got a slow puncture in two tyres on a new garden ride on mower. With old end of life mower tyres I've kept them going with Holts puncture repair gunk for use on car tyres, it worked OK but is supposed to be for temporary repairs. This time around with almost new tyres I was looking for something that will work away for another 10 years.

Re: Tyre gunk for garden ride on mower?

Post by 765489 »

Something like this Continental ? Wonder would it work on wheelbarrow tyres.. fookin sick of buying wheelbarrow tyres..

Post by 490808 »

This is the one I'm thinking of getting

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Not sure I'd use the gunk on new tyres. Had someone do that on one of mine while I was away for an extended period, and it only sorted out the first (and maybe a second) puncture, but after that it was back to a series of slow punctures. The gunk had really messed up the valve in the meantime, making it really hard to inflate the tyre.

My dad subsequently gave me these tarry strips that he picked up somewhere that you shove into the puncture site with a special tool (or not, if your dad didn't give it to you! :lol: ) and they expand locally to gum up the hole but nothing else. Works grand on any of the vicious thorn-holes that wreck my tyres.

That said, for the front wheels, as I bought the wrong size inner tube for the barrow, I fitted that instead. Much easier to find and fix the holes in that than the chunky tubeless tyre.

Edit: your links are not showing lads - are ye not wrapping them in URL tags?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Fix the puncture properly. That gunk feks up tyres tubes and valves. Fixing a tubeless tyre is fast and simple once you have the right kit which is cheap.

Post by 490808 »

If you've ever taken ride on tyres off their rims to fix a puncture or use an inner tube then you'll know why I want to fill them with gunk. The effort of removing any gunk if it fails is a minor part of the job compared to getting the tyres on and off then re inflating them.

I haven't fully checked but #1 suspect is the rims - chances of something going straight through the main thread are slim.

Think I'll slip worst one in a water tank tomorrow check where the leak is and then decide.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

kadman wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:09 pm Fix the puncture properly.
That's what I did, about ten years ago when I had the first puncture on my monster mower with agri tyres. Brought it to the tyre shop to be fixed and get a new inner tube.

The advise I was given (as I mow brambles and even blackthorn with it as well) was ...and I quote ..this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship, or you could just go to Halfords, buy some gunk for bicycle tyres and save yourself a lot of money :D

And that's what I did ...each of the two tyres now has two bottles of gunk in it (can't remember what brand it was) and never a problem again even though I pulled a few blackthorns out of my tyres since.

The maker of my mower now even sells branded gunk :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post by 765489 »

I was nearly going to buy a bycle repair kit online on the advice of CR and Kadman. But I've decided after seeing Peasant's post I'm gonna go over to the dark side and try the gunk :mrgreen:

Sorry lads.. :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The Continental Op wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:21 pm If you've ever taken ride on tyres off their rims to fix a puncture or use an inner tube then you'll know why I want to fill them with gunk. The effort of removing any gunk if it fails is a minor part of the job compared to getting the tyres on and off then re inflating them.
Whatever about the getting off and putting back on again, the inflating part is dead easy ... if you haven't buggered up the valve with a previous application of gunk! :lol:

Post by 490808 »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:58 pm Whatever about the getting off and putting back on again, the inflating part is dead easy ... if you haven't buggered up the valve with a previous application of gunk! :lol:
The problem is often getting the rims to reseat on that size of tyre. I normally put a ratchet strap around the outside of the tyre and tighten it up to get the tyres to start to seat.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Lots of lube, and then the ratchet strap good and tight to begin with.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:21 pm If you've ever taken ride on tyres off their rims to fix a puncture or use an inner tube then you'll know why I want to fill them with gunk. The effort of removing any gunk if it fails is a minor part of the job compared to getting the tyres on and off then re inflating them.

I haven't fully checked but #1 suspect is the rims - chances of something going straight through the main thread are slim.

Think I'll slip worst one in a water tank tomorrow check where the leak is and then decide.
But you dont take the tyre off the rim, ride on or car, unless its got an inner tube.

I have fixed plenty of tubeless tyres , both cars and mowers, with the tyre and wheel on the car or mower.
And a bicyle, well, me 90 year old mother could fix that :D

Post by 490808 »

So this morning checked out the rear tyre which goes down quickest. Couldn't find any leak to start with. Then as the whole tyre had been through the water I could see some very small bubbles forming in several places. Once I realised what I was looking for I found at least 4 similar spots all in the lower part of the tread. Nothing obvious in any of them but all in a similar part of the thread and same distance from the edge of the tyre. Best guess is I must have gone over some blackthorn. The tyre is on the side I'd run close into a hedge.

So ordered gunk (goop). If it had been one really obvious puncture I'd have plugged it, 4 or more and the likelihood of more to come I think gunk/slime/gook is the better option.