Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Long-shot question for someone in education ...

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Long-shot question for someone in education ...

Post by CelticRambler »

Trying to get ahead of a curve, can anyone tell me if there's a European standard for the assessment of linguistic competence. I know about the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, but don't know whether there's a central(ised) system for evaluating an individual's competence.

The context is that I want to bring a non-French professional to work in France, and there's a local rule in place that says the incoming person must have "sufficient" language skills to do the job. The determination of "sufficient" is made not by me (who'll be offering the job, providing any and all training that might be needed, and mostly putting them to work in a role that involves no verbal communication ... ) nor by the people who'll they'll meet in the corridors of their workplace, but during a face-to-face interview by a random guy (yes, a male guy, white, over 50, definitely French - the Governing Body is still clinging to the 1950s :roll: ) who got voted into his position by attracting the least amount of apathy ...

To the extent of my enquiries to date, there are no written guidelines or parameters against which the term "sufficient" can be measured, which I cannot believe is consistent with EU rules in the 2020s. There's no way for a candidate to prepare for an assessment other than "learn everything", there's no defined appeals process, and there's most certainly all kinds of opportunity for discrimination.

If there's anyone out there who has experience in the area of linguistic competence assessments - especially the regulation thereof - I'd welcome your advice. By PM, if it avoids putting sensitive info into the public domain.