Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Is there a customs charge on returns?

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
Uncle Frank

Is there a customs charge on returns?

Post by Uncle Frank »

I ordered something from overseas and had to pay a customs charge to An Post before they would deliver it.
I was wondering if I returned the item to exchange it would there be another customs charge to pay when the new item comes back into the country again?
If I have to pay twice it won't really be worth my while exchanging it.

Re: Is there a customs charge on returns?

Post by 765489 »

Uncle Frank wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:20 pm I ordered something from overseas and had to pay a customs charge to An Post before they would deliver it.
I was wondering if I returned the item to exchange it would there be another customs charge to pay when the new item comes back into the country again?
If I have to pay twice it won't really be worth my while exchanging it.
If ya don't get an answer to this I'll ask one of the lads tomorrow in work. As far as I'm aware you can still return the goods once the import clearance MRN number is input somewhere in the export SAD / manifest. You will need to get the refund from AnPost as they are the ones paid the Vat & Duty from their TAN account to Revenue on your behalf. This will require a SAD correction on the original Import SAD that was submitted to Revenue by Anpost.

Only thing is Anpost are not operating like normal shipping companies / carriers in that they do not hold the consignments and contact exporters or importers if there is data missing from a consignment at clearance stage. They just return the goods. So not sure how accommodating they will be on your request. Worth asking the question to them though.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Is there a customs charge on returns?

Post by CelticRambler »

AFAIK there are various situations where there is no charge due, neither for the return nor the replacement, but I think it might depend on the circumstances, e.g.: no charge if the first item was defective and you're being sent an identical article in exchange. If, however, it's a change-of-mind/didn't fit/wasn't-what-I-thought situation, and you're getting something else that's not the same (especially if it has a different declared value) then that's a whole other lot of paperwork.