Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Another fixit question: knob on gear lever

Got a "How do I do..." or an "I need info on..." type of question. Post here and crowdsource the answer...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Another fixit question: knob on gear lever

Post by CelticRambler »

Ages ago, I had to remove the knob from the gear lever to lift off part of the camper dash trim. No problem, refitted everything, all grand for a couple of thousand km. Or so I thought. In reality, I hadn't noticed that the spring that pushes the "reverse" selector ring back down had pinged off and gone walkabout, but whatever way I was driving back then, it didn't affect my gear-changes. However, during a drive across very uneven cobbles, the spring made itself know by bouncing into contact with the positive terminal of the leisure battery and the passenger seat. Big flash! :o

Anyway, I subsequently found the spring in the footwell, didn't recognise it, assumed it had fallen out of some part of the seat (I'd had that out during the work), and put it to one side while I dealt with the emissions problem. On my way to that fateful contrôle technique appointment, I did notice that there was something wrong with the gear lever, wondered if it had something to do with greasing all the linkages, and then the knob came off in my hand. :? At that point, seeing the size and shape of the stem inside, it suddenly made sense as to where that mystery spring had sprung from - so I popped it back into place, jammed the knob back on and all was well with the world ... for about five minutes. A rough bit of road was enough to loosen the knob enough for the spring to fire it off down the back of the camper. The problem recurs every time I try to re-fit the spring, and a bit of blu-tack in the knob isn't good enough to hold it, so I've left it off again (can select first or second by consciously pressing the ring down).

So I'm thinking of fitting a grub screw to the knob, drilled into the shaft, but before I start cursing and swearing at the awkwardness of the job, any suggestions for a "good enough" glue that'd resist the force of such a spring while driving over cobbles, but still allow the knob to be pulled off in the future if ever I need to work behind the dash again?

Re: Another fixit question: knob on gear lever

Post by 490808 »

Would a small jubilee clip help hold the spring in place?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Knob on the end of the gear lever.........dont get me started :mrgreen:

Post by 490808 »

As for glue that epoxy putty I suggested for holding your spud skinner together would also do the job. It sticks very well to bare metal.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:46 pm The Knob on the end of the gear lever.........dont get me started :mrgreen:
:P
The Continental Op wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:42 pm Would a small jubilee clip help hold the spring in place?
Don't think so - not enough space inside (or at least not without doing at least as much corrective surgery as fitting a grub screw).
The Continental Op wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:56 pm As for glue that epoxy putty I suggested for holding your spud skinner together would also do the job. It sticks very well to bare metal.
Would it unstick too, if needed?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Not sure of the model type, is this the one?

Post by 490808 »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:14 pm ...

Would it unstick too, if needed?
Not really. Its a bit like glass fibre resin. Once its stuck it stays that way. You can sand it or grind it off.

How about a star washer under the knob?

Post by 490808 »

kadman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:22 pm Not sure of the model type, is this the one?

If the knob screws on why would he want to stick it on or use a grub screw?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:25 pm If the knob screws on why would he want to stick it on or use a grub screw?
I dont know the model type of Ducato or year he has, thats why I asked the question. Do You?

Post by 490808 »

kadman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:29 pm I dont know the model type of Ducato or year he has, thats why I asked the question. Do You?
No but I think we can rule out any functional screw thread on the knob.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:40 pm No but I think we can rule out any functional screw thread on the knob.
Well if the screw thread on the knob is the issue, then you replace the knob with a functioning knob .
Or you repair the thread portion of the knob using either a material that can be drilled and tapped, or a helicoil of the suitable size.

If it was as simple as a damaged thread in the knob i would have thought CR would have said so........................then again probably not. :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:22 pm Not sure of the model type, is this the one?
Nope. That looks like the 2006+ dash to me - way too modern! :D

Have just found this video that shows the construction and problem (albeit on the wrong side of the steering wheel) 0m28s-0m38s :

No, I'm not spending 30 quid on a cheap bit of plastic like yerman when I have a perfectly good bit of cheap plastic that just needs something to stick it back into position!
The Continental Op wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:24 pm How about a star washer under the knob?
Hmm. Never thought about one of those. Must see if I have a spare somewhere, and if there's room for it.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I cant see a star washer working, as it needs far more contact than the thickness of the washer, and how do you attach the washer.

can you not get a secondhand one from a breaker.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:25 pmcan you not get a secondhand one from a breaker.
I could - but the concept of a breaker's yard in France is not the same as in the rest of the world! Last time I went looking for a part, I was given a quote of about 80-100€ for a 10-year old "known-to-fail" multi-component part that only cost 120€ new. I opted instead to give 12€ to the Chinese for a brand new item to replace the component that was actually broken. :roll:

Also, just getting to any of these places in rural France is a full day (or two-day) expedition (as is regular grocery shopping). When round trips start at 50km and go up in 50km increments, being able to fix these niggly problems with simple techniques and materials makes life a whole lot simpler.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If you can get one for 30 euro, I would not arse about with anything else, its a waste of time.
Or as already suggested, use a 2 part epoxy and permanently fix it.

If you need to remove it in the future, cut it off. In the meantime make contact with an irish breaker and get on sent over.

Or make an alternative item. I would have thought France would have been full of old Ducatos. What exact year and model is it??
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Dont forget its a hammer on fit, so the repair needs to take account of this.

Give us a close up picture of the gearstick it fits onto, a good one.

Post by 490808 »

Does it help to split the problem down a bit.

a) you want something to hold the spring in place.

b) you want something to act as a gear change knob.

Currently (or rather originally) the gear change knob does both functions.

A suitable size washer with a star washer behind it will hold the spring in place? With that done you might just get away with a bit of packing around the shaft to reuse the old knob?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Photos :

The spring sits on top of the plastic pretending to be a star washer; and pushes up around the housing that ought to grip the upper stem of the lever. You can see a small crack in the housing at the four-o'clock position in the photo.
kadman wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:07 am Dont forget its a hammer on fit, so the repair needs to take account of this.
When you say "hammer on" do you mean it needs a good whack with something solid to get it properly seated? :shock:

Well, maybe. As I don't currently have any epoxy putty to hand, I thought I'd follow the "hammer" logic: so I wrapped a bit of multipurpose repair tape (which has a criss-cross texture to it) around the stem and gave the knob a good thump to get it re-seated. A first pull-test seemed to indicate that that might be enough. If not, I'm thinking now that I can probably find a small piece of plastic in my might-come-in-useful collection that I can use as a collar around the housing to stop it losing its grip.
kadman wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:04 am I would have thought France would have been full of old Ducatos. What exact year and model is it??
Unless they're attached to a campervan body, they're not really that common here; and if they are attached to a campervan, they tend to be still on the road (or quietly rotting in a field). Mine is a 2003-manufactured 244-series "maxi" chassis with 2.8JTD engine.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hammer on fit for a good one. With the crack, thats a different story.

You could possibly put something around the boss inside the gear knob to close the crack and hold it there. Possibly glue the crack with superglue, and force it close til it sets.
When you think of it, it has to be tight to grip the metal . Hence the references i saw before to hammer them on with a soft mallet. But you are starting off on the back foot with a broken gear knob.

Is putting on a thick washer onto the boss to close the crack, then hammer it on with grease inside the boss to aid installation.

If it was me and that didnt work, i would turn a couple of oak gear knobs, carefully, and then tap one on
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:39 pmIf it was me and that didnt work, i would turn a couple of oak gear knobs, carefully, and then tap one on
I might yet do that. ;)

... but of course then I'd have to make a load of oak-veneered trim for the dash, otherwise it'd look odd. :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:52 pm I might yet do that. ;)

... but of course then I'd have to make a load of oak-veneered trim for the dash, otherwise it'd look odd. :lol:
Ahh now....