Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Best Flickr alt?

Norman Breaks

Best Flickr alt?

Post by Norman Breaks »

Looking for somewhere that I can upload a large amount of photos, not have them shrunk to near thumbnail size and be able to share albums/galleries with people. Any suggestions?
Hairy-Joe

Re: Best Flickr alt?

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Google photos if you have a gmail account?

I've used Dropbox in the past but that has a smallish limit (1gb I think) where the Google Photos uses the 15GB that gmail gives you.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Best Flickr alt?

Post by CelticRambler »

Simple answer, for me, is "there isn't one" :(

In it's most recent incarnation, Dropbox has a tiny amount of storage and constant hassling to upgrade for more.

I use Google Photos because it's there, and it works ... up to a point. It's fine for sharing an album of images, including with people who don't have/are not logged in to a Google account; but you can't share-and-show the images on a discussion board such as this, so it's no good for competitions or general chat.

For that latter purpose, I use postimages.org but again, it doesn't replicate the functionality of Flickr, particularly with regards to redimensioning images for sharing. Basically, you can't - you have to decide on the dimensions before uploading, which means you're stuck with that size then for all platforms on which you might wish to share them.

These days, I've found that my need for hosting and sharing has settled into two distinct groups: collections of images around a theme (e.g. family events, or "what I did on my holidays") for which Google Photos is a good enough solution; and individual images that I use to illustrate a point or ask a question, for which Postimages is sufficient (I might share the same image on different sites)

Back when it was fun to use the photo forum on boards.ie, I used to wrap URL tags for my Google-hosted image around the 800px picture stored on Postimage so that curious viewers could see the EXIF info and any related images. Of course that meant uploading the same image twice, but it was worth it! Happy days ...