Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

James Webb Space Telescope

knownunknown

James Webb Space Telescope

Post by knownunknown »

The first images are expected this Tuesday, two days from now. Some of us have been waiting decades!

Among the first five objects that were photographed includes probably the most beautiful thing in the universe, the Carina Nebula, 50 light years across and over 1,000lightyears away. It is believed this is where stars are formed; from great big clouds of gas. The only way heavier elements come into existence is when stars die, which is how these clouds form. Expect a flurry of photos on Tuesday. Look out for this one in particular:

https://news.sky.com/story/wait-for-you ... e-12648490
isha
Verified Username

Re: James Webb Space Telescope

Post by isha »

This will be great to see, thanks for telling us.

I have a possibly dumb question 😬 Are the deep space photos we see all colourised? I know a lot of them are. But all? Will these ones be edited like that? Are these amazing colours real life in space? I should probably Google but it is very warm and I'm lazy.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:35 pm This will be great to see, thanks for telling us.

I have a possibly dumb question 😬 Are the deep space photos we see all colourised? I know a lot of them are. But all? Will these ones be edited like that? Are these amazing colours real life in space? I should probably Google but it is very warm and I'm lazy.
I think it’s more like if there was a song that a dog could hear but we couldn’t, how else could we hear it without converting it to the tones that our ears can hear. We wouldn’t be messing up the song or changing it, just converting it to a different scale.

But there is no information added, it’s just a way of expressing it differently.

An infrared camera can detect the difference between people’s skin tones but how do you express that in an image. Usually you’ll see a temperature scale in those infrared images with all those reds and yellows and blues. It’s just a way of distinguishing between the different wavelengths and temperatures. There is a whole spectrum of light in each of the light bands but we can’t see them.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

When you see the photos think of this. It's existentially disconcerting! And I love it

Post by 765489 »

Nice images so far.

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

They can now tell some elements and molecules prominent in the atmosphere of other planets. This could possibly lead to finding signs of life elsewhere. I remember a time when they could only infer exoplanets existed due to gravitational wobbling which wasn’t too long ago. Now they can see them. All exoplanets orbit some very bright stars so trying to look at them is like trying to study a fly buzzing around a bright light from over a mile away.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I read today that they've identified the signature of water vapour in the atmosphere of an exoplanet 1,100 light years away.

I think it is phenomenal. With all the crap that's going on in the world, at the same time our concepts of space are cracking wide open above our heads and we can really begin to try and visualise, or even to glimpse what it might be like to visualise, infinity. What I love is that amidst all the incomprehensible immensity of this cosmos still each of us, simply walking down a country road, a vastly complex manifestation in our own right, exists. Woohoo!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:07 pm I read today that they've identified the signature of water vapour in the atmosphere of an exoplanet 1,100 light years away.

I think it is phenomenal. With all the crap that's going on in the world, at the same time our concepts of space are cracking wide open above our heads and we can really begin to try and visualise, or even to glimpse what it might be like to visualise, infinity. What I love is that amidst all the incomprehensible immensity of this cosmos still each of us, simply walking down a country road, a vastly complex manifestation in our own right, exists. Woohoo!
Brain melters:

If the universe is indeed infinite then not only is there an exact copy of you out there somewhere, there is an infinity of exact copies of you out there.

Also each one of us live in a slightly different universe. Because of the expansion of the universe the things that are the furthest away are travelling away from us the fastest. Space is filling so quickly in between us and these far places that light will never reach us. We will never even know they exist. So if I’m a mile away from you there’s a mile of stuff I could see that you never could.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

This helps to place the image of the cliffs in the Carina Nebula

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I sometimes wonder that we should pay more attention , as a species, to the existing trouble we have on earth, and fix them before going hot footing across creation.

What we are doing now is giving us a view of more things to covet,steal, destroy, weaponize, ect,ect . Its what we are good at.

I have lost count of who has layed claim to our near neighbour planets and moons. Interesting decades ahead.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

kadman wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:10 am I sometimes wonder that we should pay more attention , as a species, to the existing trouble we have on earth, and fix them before going hot footing across creation.

What we are doing now is giving us a view of more things to covet,steal, destroy, weaponize, ect,ect . Its what we are good at.

I have lost count of who has layed claim to our near neighbour planets and moons. Interesting decades ahead.
We’ve only got 1 billion years until the oceans have evaporated due to the suns luminosity increasing, and even if somehow we manage to survive that we’ve got a collision course with our closest neighbour, the andromeda galaxy, hurtling towards us at about 190 miles per second due to reach us in about 5 billion years. Of course we only know these things because of the telescopes :)

In the shorter term we only have about 100 years of helium left until we will need to start harvesting it from space. It’s a completely non renewable resource that has so many uses. If our species has a future that future is away from earth, at one time or another.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:02 am We’ve only got 1 billion years until the oceans have evaporated due to the suns luminosity increasing, and even if somehow we manage to survive that we’ve got a collision course with our closest neighbour, the andromeda galaxy, hurtling towards us at about 190 miles per second due to reach us in about 5 billion years. Of course we only know these things because of the telescopes :)

In the shorter term we only have about 100 years of helium left until we will need to start harvesting it from space. It’s a completely non renewable resource that has so many uses. If our species has a future that future is away from earth, at one time or another.
Agreed.
It took us only a couple of centuries of the industrial revolution to completely fuk this planet, and the associated life forms of this planet as well.
So hopefully we wont be let do the same in outer space and beyond if other advanced civilisations have anything to say about it.

Our existing level of human consciousness has not reached that point where we are a benefit to other civilisations, instead of a threat to their and our existence in the universe.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Just a couple of articles I have skim read which are discussing in a preliminary way if our present cosmology theories hold up, if the Big Bang happened at all, based on the images the Webb telescope is sending back. Too many older, smoother looking galaxies, too little clumping matter, faster creation - some astronomers are losing sleep.

https://mindmatters.ai/2022/08/james-we ... ppen-wait/
To everyone who sees them, the new James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) images of the cosmos are beautifully awe-inspiring. But to most professional astronomers and cosmologists, they are also extremely surprising—not at all what was predicted by theory. In the flood of technical astronomical papers published online since July 12, the authors report again and again that the images show surprisingly many galaxies, galaxies that are surprisingly smooth, surprisingly small and surprisingly old. Lots of surprises, and not necessarily pleasant ones. One paper’s title begins with the candid exclamation: “Panic!”

https://www.science.org/content/article ... y-universe
No one was expecting anything like this,” says Michael Boylan-Kolchin of the University of Texas, Austin. “Galaxies are exploding out of the woodwork,” says Rachel Somerville of the Flatiron Institute.

Galaxy formation models may now need a revision, as current ones hold that gas clouds should be far slower to coalesce into stars and galaxies than is suggested by Webb’s galaxy-rich images of the early universe, less than 500 million years after the big bang. “This is way outside the box of what models were predicting,” says Garth Illingworth of the University of California (UC), Santa Cruz.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:05 pm Just a couple of articles I have skim read which are discussing in a preliminary way if our present cosmology theories hold up, if the Big Bang happened at all, based on the images the Webb telescope is sending back. Too many older, smoother looking galaxies, too little clumping matter, faster creation - some astronomers are losing sleep.
Very interesting times ahead. Many of the current theories are merely things inserted to make other things fit. Things like this that prove us wrong are the most interesting.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Awesome
Jupiter-sized "planets" free-floating in space, unconnected to any star, have been spotted by the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST).

What's intriguing about the discovery is that these objects appear to be moving in pairs. Astronomers are currently struggling to explain them.

The telescope observed about 40 pairs in a fabulously detailed new survey of the famous Orion Nebula.

They've been nicknamed Jupiter Mass Binary Objects, or "JuMBOs" for short.

One possibility is that these objects grew out of regions in the nebula where the density of material was insufficient to make fully fledged stars.

Another possibility is that they were made around stars and were then kicked out into interstellar space through various interactions.

"The ejection hypothesis is the favoured one at the moment," said Prof Mark McCaughrean.

"Gas physics suggests you shouldn't be able to make objects with the mass of Jupiter on their own, and we know single planets can get kicked out from star systems. But how do you kick out pairs of these things together? Right now, we don't have an answer. It's one for the theoreticians," the European Space Agency's (Esa) senior science adviser told BBC News.

There is so much to peruse and probe in the full-sized survey image which is 21,000 by 14,500 pixels. But it is the JuMBOs that have caught the immediate attention of astronomers.

"My reactions ranged from: 'Whaaat?!?' to 'Are you sure?" to 'That's just so weird!' to 'How could binaries be ejected together?'" recalled Dr Heidi Hammel who was not on the survey team.

She said there were no models of planetary system formation that predicted the ejection of binary pairs of planets.

"But... maybe all star formation regions host these double-Jupiters (and maybe even double-Neptunes and double Earths!), and we just haven't had a telescope powerful enough to see them before," the multidisciplinary scientist on JWST told BBC News.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-66974738
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

isha wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:05 pm - some astronomers are losing sleep.
It seems there’s many new anomalies as to discount previous predictions and require a whole new theory of just what is going on out there.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... e-universe