Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Tutorial videos you found helpful.

Norman Breaks

Tutorial videos you found helpful.

Post by Norman Breaks »

Any kind of tutorial video. Can be camera/lens related, gear, lighting, settings, Lightroom, Photoshop, other software, whatever.

To kick off, I've been watching a few different a few videos on how people set up studio lighting since I recently got myself a studio kit and am interested to see how best to set it up.

Norman Breaks

Re: Tutorial videos you found helpful.

Post by Norman Breaks »

I've always wondered the effectiveness of grids on various soft boxes etc. This give a good insight in to where and how to use them.

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

This guy has gone quiet in the last couple of years, but his "back catalogue" of videos includes several good studies on how to light a variety of subjects, and particularly the judicious use of shade and reflections to create a richer image. He used to be a high-flying advertising photographer, which gives him a different approach compared to your average YouTube Unboxer.

A couple of examples:

Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I've recently been trying to cultivate a small studio space in my basement. This video has some good tips, tricks and insights.

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

When reviewing my need (and upgrade plan) for filters back in November, I finally ended up at this video which I thought succintly summarised the rationale for a limited range that'd be worth having. I arrived there from the video about graduated ND filters that the guy refers to towards the end, but that was reasons not to bother with them.

Now I wasn't really impressed by the rest of his channel - and I had to play this one at 1.5x speed to make it bearable! - but I still think the advice is sound. And am in the process of putting my money where his mouth is (though not on the Kase system).
BannerD

Post by BannerD »

I learned the basics of photography from Mike Browne's tutorials https://www.photographycourses.biz/
The old ones where he has a girl assisting him. Don't like the modern one and his Motorbike photography. I knew nothing about photography then . I then found my own way to do things. I do not believe in advanced courses as he sells. Lots of people follow him and he is like a God to them. They will only ever be second rate Mike Brownes. Some will ask him what are the settings for this or that shot as they are too lazy to explore and find out or "try it and see"

Someone once asked him if you can take a certain shot with a 50 mm lens.So he put a 50 mm lens on his camera, took the shot and said "apparently you can"

I recommend him to learn the basics he is a very good teacher.