Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Photography queries - help please?

BettyBee

Photography queries - help please?

Post by BettyBee »

Hi guys, I am making a photobook for my folks forthcoming 50th Wedding Anniversary and need your help..

Q 1. any tips for taking a photo of a glossy photo with phone camera without reflections?

Q 2. Some old pics are damaged - any recommendations on where I can get them restored? I live in Cork - local wud be great - or is there anywhere on line?

TIA
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Photography queries - help please?

Post by CelticRambler »

BettyBee wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:39 pmQ 1. any tips for taking a photo of a glossy photo with phone camera without reflections?
A photo of a (glossy) photo is going to be quite poor if it's destined for printing. You'd get better results from almost any entry-level printer-scanner than using a camera or phone. Scan at the max possible resolution with (if available) the in-built "photo" settings and save as a PNG, TIF or BMP file rather than JPG.
BettyBee wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:39 pmQ 2. Some old pics are damaged - any recommendations on where I can get them restored? I live in Cork - local wud be great - or is there anywhere on line?
Can't help with any specific recommendations, but again scanning the images first means you can send them to anyone with half-decent photo-editing software. The quality of the repair will depend as much on the person doing the work as the software they're using, as restoring old photos in a way that retains their "vintage" feel is an art in itself.
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

thanks for all that - sounds like good advice.. scanner it is.. will look into who I cud send pics too (re: Q 2.)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

If you're in Cork, isn't there that photo place in Wilton by Penney's and across from Game? I remember them advertising photo restoration.

I've NEVER used them though, just remember them advertising.
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:31 pm If you're in Cork, isn't there that photo place in Wilton by Penney's and across from Game? I remember them advertising photo restoration.

I've NEVER used them though, just remember them advertising.
oh i dunno but will look into it thanks

Post by 490808 »

Any of the Pharmacies that have the Fujifilm Frontier machines often do basic restoration.
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

update - scanner not working but discovered the app Photoscan by google photos - its fannntastic - and no reflections etc..
just thought I would let ye know in case anyone else finds themselves in need of it