Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Best Photobook online website?

BettyBee

Best Photobook online website?

Post by BettyBee »

Gonna try making a photobook using one of the online websites.. checked out Blurb, Snapfish and Photobox.. from what I could see, the latter was the easiest to use.. what ones have you used? and would be great if you could give pros/cons of online websites used. TIA
Hairy-Joe

Re: Best Photobook online website?

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I use Blurb all the time, but I use it via Adobe Lightroom Plugin rather than creating on their website.

The one advantage of using off-line software for putting the book together (either my way or Blurb's own free software) is that you can take your time putting it together, review it, etc.
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:53 pm I use Blurb all the time, but I use it via Adobe Lightroom Plugin rather than creating on their website.

The one advantage of using off-line software for putting the book together (either my way or Blurb's own free software) is that you can take your time putting it together, review it, etc.
oh gosh - this is my prob - I have no idea what you are talking about - are you saying that if I use Blurb's software that I have to do it all in a specific time frame?
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

BettyBee wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:49 pm oh gosh - this is my prob - I have no idea what you are talking about - are you saying that if I use Blurb's software that I have to do it all in a specific time frame?
No, the opposite! If you are using the Blurb software, you can start and stop whenever you want and it saves it for you. You don't have to do it all in one go. You can come back it it next week if you want!

While I'm not familiar with every website for photo books, I'd be afraid of loosing work if I stopped half way through the preparation. For them, I'd be afraid that you would have to do it all in one go!

Also, if you are not sure of how to use the Blurb Bookwright software, put it into YouTube with something like "Blurb Bookwright tutorial" (or something similar) and watch how it's done.

One other advantage of preparing it on your laptop/PC (via software) rather than a website is that you only upload the photos required by the book. If you use a website to prep the book, you have to upload every photo. For me, when preparing the book, I've quite a few photos that don't make it and they don't need to be uploaded. If you don't have decent broadband, this can be a factor.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:16 amOne other advantage of preparing it on your laptop/PC (via software) rather than a website is that you only upload the photos required by the book. If you use a website to prep the book, you have to upload every photo. For me, when preparing the book, I've quite a few photos that don't make it and they don't need to be uploaded. If you don't have decent broadband, this can be a factor.
Same here. I have my own DTP software and do all the thinking, fiddling, cropping, re-sizing, start-againing off line. After years of doing it like that because there was no "cloud" option, even a second's lagtime using web-based services (for any application, not just photo-work) drives me nuts. And it's helpful to be able to leave a layout open on a (second) screen for hours - or days - at a time, and make small adjustments as you pass by and look at it from different angles.
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

oh gosh lads - all that info is making me dizzy - I would actually pay someone to sit down with me and show me how best or organise all my stuff.. I have all my pics on laptop.. I don't use icloud - I back up with an external hard drive... dunno if this is best or not
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The best thing to do is go to YouTube. Put in the name of what you are looking at followed by "Tutorial" (eg "Photobox tutorial" or "Blurb tutorial"). Watch the video and that will show you what to do.

You can practice then by repeating what is done on the YouTube video.

I also back up to an external hard drive by the way.
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

i'll revisit this later in the year and resume this thread then too no doubt
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Will do the same, as I'm thinking of making up a photobook as a Christmas gift for different branches of the family. I'd be wanting something bigger than what seems to be the standard 17/19/23cm square format though.
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:03 am Will do the same, as I'm thinking of making up a photobook as a Christmas gift for different branches of the family. I'd be wanting something bigger than what seems to be the standard 17/19/23cm square format though.
cool - how did you find Google Photobooks?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

"Nothing special" - decided the books were too small for my needs and the delivery time was too long for the date I was trying to get it done by. But it was a useful prompt to go looking for something better, and also gave me an idea on what photos I need to add to my collection to improve the book.
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:36 pm "Nothing special" - decided the books were too small for my needs and the delivery time was too long for the date I was trying to get it done by. But it was a useful prompt to go looking for something better, and also gave me an idea on what photos I need to add to my collection to improve the book.
oh ok...

People seem to like Blurb but I had a look at Photobox and to me it looks like its the easiest to use.. might be a good starting point for me
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

BettyBee wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:13 am oh ok...

People seem to like Blurb but I had a look at Photobox and to me it looks like its the easiest to use.. might be a good starting point for me
Blurb is excellent, my youngest lad made his first blurb book when he was just seven - I still can't master the technology but the end product can be highly recommended and it's fast.
'no more blah blah blah'
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:14 am Blurb is excellent, my youngest lad made his first blurb book when he was just seven - I still can't master the technology but the end product can be highly recommended and it's fast.
age 7??? I had a look at it and it frightened the bejaysus outta me... and I have made calendars on Vista Print in the past so not a complete numpty when it comes to technology.. era mayb I am just afraid if it.. sometimes the thoughts of doing something is worse than actually doing it
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

BettyBee wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:25 am age 7??? I had a look at it and it frightened the bejaysus outta me... and I have made calendars on Vista Print in the past so not a complete numpty when it comes to technology.. era mayb I am just afraid if it.. sometimes the thoughts of doing something is worse than actually doing it
Yes, seven in 2011 and he was working with a poor camera, and (my) third rate laptop. :mrgreen:

I have it safely put away for him as I told him at the time, "you may write more books in your lifetime but you will never have another first book".

'no more blah blah blah'
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:30 pm Yes, seven in 2011 and he was working with a poor camera, and (my) third rate laptop. :mrgreen:

I have it safely put away for him as I told him at the time, "you may write more books in your lifetime but you will never have another first book".
thats so cool
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I have used FreePrints photobook service. You can get a book once a month and only charged for postage. You can pay for extra stuff like bigger size/extra pages/hardback/presentation box. I used it for a persons's "special" birthday and have done others on different people. It has been helpful to sort thru old photos that can be scanned on a printer and put into computer device to use with a photo book setup. I am sure my efforts are amateur and not using the full range of tools but I am happy with results.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Just a follow up. The turnaround time for Blurb has improved. I uploaded a book last Saturday and it's being delivered Wednesday. It's currently with FedEx.

Turn around time is very good in comparison to what it was before.