Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Random photos - fresh and from the archives!

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Random photos - fresh and from the archives!

Post by CelticRambler »

Have camera, will use it! There are already a few threads for subject-specific photos, and one for "great" images, but here's one for everything and anything that doesn't have a natural home elsewhere. No particular criteria, other than they should be your own pictures (old or new), and a bit of info would be nice (the context, or the settings)

I'll start the ball rolling with something bland: pre-covid social distancing! I'd spent the weekend in the Vosges mountains where the colour of the foliage is brilliant, but the weather is (always!) desperate. I'd hoped to catch a few interesting rays and some beautiful light, but the clouds refused to part. The back-up plan was to hope for some rich texture in the clouds ... but they didn't want to play that game either. :cry:

peasant
Verified Username

Re: Random photos - fresh and from the archives!

Post by peasant »

a snapshot where the timing worked ...for once
benno jump.jpg
benno jump.jpg (139.7 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

"And so it begins ... "

This was one of last weekend's "rainy day" pictures. Overcast weather makes mid-day photography easier, and is ideal for taking pictures of richly textured scenes and surfaces (not so much shadow). I thought this rockface was a great example of how life on earth would have begun, with a great variety of "primitive" plants growing on the bare rock: moss, lichen and fungi - just add water! :mrgreen:
[35mm, f/8.0, 1/125sec, iso 400]
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

There's a guy on Twitter who restores and colourises old Irish photos and video. Well worth a follow. https://twitter.com/RobCross247

Castletownbere, c.1900

Waterford, 1890.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

The river is quite high this time of year, I was cycling home and this view caught my eye. Only had my phone camera to shoot with.
Zero editing.
Deleted

Post by Deleted »

Fisherman at Hook Head, Wexford.