Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Humbrol Revell Enamel Paints are Verboten - Viable Alternatives

Humbrol Revell Enamel Paints are Verboten - Viable Alternatives

Post by 95438756 »

I have humbrol enamel paint thinner as well as suitable brushes.
A 100% humbrol 'shop' and learned late in the day that such paints were to be assigned as 'verboten'. And get any thing I could'nt find in Revell paint instead.
Halfords. Spraycans can be purchased, but maybe thinners/brush cleaner could be purchased there
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Humbrol Revell Enamel Paints are Verboten - Viable Alternatives

Post by kadman »

What thinners do you use for your humbrol paints. I know they have both acrylics and enamels. Some water based, and some thinner based.
What exactly are you painting, and what are you using.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I dont know whether you have tried other alternatives like nail varnish or car paints.
The normal safe car paints would be cellulose based in the case of classic car finishes which is still available.
And then there is 2k called 2 pack. Some 2 pack is water based, but some are Isocyanate based. Water based is ok to use, but 2 pack isocyanate is lethal without proper air fed breathing equipment.

And dont rely on your paint supplier to give you the correct details on the chemical make up of chemicals. They dont know as proved by my local car paint guy, from a substantial outfit. They wanted to sell me 2k isocyante and I refused because it had iso and I needed breathing equipment for it.
They were oblivious to this fact.
simone
Location: remember me in the months ahead, and how i was correct

Post by simone »

peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Verboten by whom?

This German model shop still sells them online and they seem to ship EU wide

https://www.modellparadies.com/modellba ... 7_622.html

EDIT:
and Revell paints too

https://www.modellparadies.com/modellba ... 2_100.html
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Being the curious sort, with a few very aged tiny tins of Humbrol paint in a box, somewhere, I felt compelled to look into this a little more. Apparently the "Humbrol enamel paints to be banned" story has being doing the rounds for nearly 20 years! On one model-making forum, the discussion strayed into a the relative quality of the new-improved "Made in GB" version (poor) compared to the previous "Made somewhere else". I'd be wondering if the problem is more of a Brexit problem than an EU problem - don't forget that GB is now largely cut out of the continental chemical supply chain, so it'd make sense if they were having production problems, or certification problems if they're getting their solvents from other sources.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Being that CR is the resident chemist maybe he can offer a suitable alternative.
Humbrol thinners is the ingredient in question that is a possible safety issue to health and environment if used improperly.

The substance is 2-methoxy-1-methylethyl acetate which is the solvent in Humbrol. It appears you will be unwell if you swallow it, bathe in it or are just plain careless when you use it. So to protect the public its not for sale to joe public only a licensed company that can prove the proper ventilation, breathing safety gear is in place.

So you might need to chose an entirely different solvent and paint.
When will you tell us what you are painting.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

You have more than likely seen this link for different thinners, but just in case you missed it,

https://craftknights.com/thinning-ename ... that-work/
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

There was a product that I used for stripping paint from classic cars. I bought it from a supplier who told me he was not supposed to sell it to the public according to new EU laws about a year ago. Then he said" but you are not an idiot are you". Just use it with the same precautions as you would any other hazardous stripper, and sold me a gallon.

Its an aircraft paint stripper and the best product I ever used for stripping car paint. Put the gel on, cover it in plastic and leave for 20 minutes, come back and peel it off by hand with no tools, down to clean bare metal. That contained methylene too, great stuff, and i still have half a gallon.

Post by 95438756 »

TLDR
They need to tweak the compound. I'll give it 2 years *if they come back to Irish shelves.

Post by 765489 »

Reminds of the creosote alternatives on the market. Will never be as good as the original coal tar creosote you can still get but need to sign a declaration. Same with the tanilisation process in fence posts without the arsenic sorry. :mrgreen:
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I was just going to look out for tiny pot of that! I need to regild a gravestone inscription and air travel so thought the tiny tin would pass security issue. Anyone any tips for doing same? clean down with? acetone? meth spirits? I got a quote of £700 to do same, over the top, removing the stone etc.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I was just going to look out for tiny pot of that! I need to regild a gravestone inscription and air travel so thought the tiny tin would pass security issue. Anyone any tips for doing same? clean down with? acetone? meth spirits? I got a quote of £700 to do same, over the top, removing the stone etc.