Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Murals, graffiti and all that.......

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Murals, graffiti and all that.......

Post by Del.Monte »

The Dun Laoghaire mural controversy rumbles on: https://www.newstalk.com/news/dun-laogh ... al-1311547

Personally I have nothing against good murals on appropriate buildings but the Dun Laoghaire one by Solus https://www.solusstreetart.com/ seems very out of place on a fine Victorian house. What think the rest of you?

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Re: Murals, graffiti and all that.......

Post by isha »

I'd have to see it in person and look at the environment to really assess how it impacts the place. On a surface viewing it's a nice enough piece and no worse than some of the hideous paintwork/ colours I see here and there on houses.

But I can also understand how if everyone did it the result might be unpredictable - either an eyesore or a good vibe.

My general view is a fair amount of mural paintings are not that great. Sorry, mural lovers. 😔 Some are spectacular though.

Dan Kitchener paints fantastic murals. Even so, they fit into a certain urban environment very well, but not every urban or suburban environment.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:49 pmPersonally I have nothing against good murals on appropriate buildings but the Dun Laoghaire one by Solus https://www.solusstreetart.com/ seems very out of place on a fine Victorian house. What think the rest of you?
Meh ... :? That particular piece of artwork isn't anything special; in fact I'd struggle to call it a "mural" - it doesn't look an awful lot different to the sketches my daughter did on the wall of the barn when I gave her a load of old paint to use up. There doesn't seem to be any connection between the theme of the artwork and the building, and if it has to be explained then it's not really "art" is it?

I do like "bold statements" in the right place, but living in the country that invented trompe l'oeil as an artform, I've come to really admire the work that goes into making a 2D image painted on the side(s) of a building look like it's not art but actual reality!

Post by 765489 »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:49 pm The Dun Laoghaire mural controversy rumbles on: https://www.newstalk.com/news/dun-laogh ... al-1311547

Personally I have nothing against good murals on appropriate buildings but the Dun Laoghaire one by Solus https://www.solusstreetart.com/ seems very out of place on a fine Victorian house. What think the rest of you?

Looks like vandalism of a nice building to me.

Post by 95438756 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:21 am Looks like vandalism of a nice building to me.
Philistine opinion...
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Murals effected with the consent of the building or property owner are okay. Often lacking any particularly notable artistic talent, but fine.

Grafitti is only ever the work of people who didn't get a good enough hiding along the way. If I ever found anyone with a bag of rattle cans making a mess of anything I owned I'd shove a paint can so far up their arse that they'd rattle every time they took a step.

Post by 95438756 »

JayZeus wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:00 pm Murals effected with the consent of the building or property owner are okay. Often lacking any particularly notable artistic talent, but fine.

Grafitti is only ever the work of people who didn't get a good enough hiding along the way. If I ever found anyone with a bag of rattle cans making a mess of anything I owned I'd shove a paint can so far up their arse that they'd rattle every time they took a step.
You'd be a great Lad as what the Yank would call "Security Consultant" Think of 'Better Call Saul'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Disfiguring a beautiful building in my opinion, but then I suppose there are people who think Picasso was a great artist and that "The Scream" by Munch, is a masterpiece. I wouldn't be counted in that number.

Post by 95438756 »

You don't share Google's appreciation for the man, as in Google Picasa. Retired by Google but I still use it.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

gugleguy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:32 pm You don't share Google's appreciation for the man, as in Google Picasa. Retired by Google but I still use it.
No, and I wouldn't be a big fan of Google either but when needs must.... :roll: