Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Arts + Crafts vis-a-vie Experiences

Arts + Crafts vis-a-vie Experiences

Post by 95438756 »

This is one aspect I utterly despise about living here in Ireland.
Have a hobby like stamp collecting or painting? - yeah ok.

Want an Experience? - why not?? You're a dry arse aren't ya???

Most services sold for disposable income are based on an experience:
The famine experience
Escape the 3d maze Experience
The Titanic experience in Belfast - I'm leaving no province out.
The Guinness Tower experience
Kikdare village shopping experience.

Stuff the experiences!!!
Well, I was on the Belfast taxi tour at its most complete. That was good. Recorded it on a shitty Creative Vado pocket camcorder back in the day.

What do other gubernites think?
Go with the flow or dry arse like me??
JayZeus
Verified Username

Re: Arts + Crafts vis-a-vie Experiences

Post by JayZeus »

gugleguy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:35 pm This is one aspect I utterly despise about living here in Ireland.
Have a hobby like stamp collecting or painting? - yeah ok.

Want an Experience? - why not?? You're a dry arse aren't ya???

Most services sold for disposable income are based on an experience:
The famine experience
Escape the 3d maze Experience
The Titanic experience in Belfast - I'm leaving no province out.
The Guinness Tower experience
Kikdare village shopping experience.

Stuff the experiences!!!
Well, I was on the Belfast taxi tour at its most complete. That was good. Recorded it on a shitty Creative Vado pocket camcorder back in the day.

What do other gubernites think?
Go with the flow or dry arse like me??
I have no idea what you're on about, to be honest.

Post by 765489 »

I have never been on any of them experiences. Wouldn't mind doing the Guinness tour but the thoughts of being corralled into what you can see, rather than having a look around old sheds and buildings, means I'll probably never do it.

The Titanic tour doesn't appeal to me, but wouldn't mind having a look round harland and wolf ship yard.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I haven't done any of those trips you mention. Wouldn't be pushed. Normally I go see what I want to see and hope there's hardly anyone else there so I can get the vibe of the place.
But I did book a proper tour to see the Hypogeum in Malta which does what I suppose could be called an experience, with an immersive video presentation first and then a very strictly guided tour.
It was amazing, because the place is amazing.
I suppose it depends what material the creators of an "experience" have to work with in the first place - are they stringing out something fairly modest to be an economic venture with plastic models and creative narratives, or do they actually have at their fingertips an extensive underground Neolithic necropolis which is spooky and atmospheric and amazing just by its very existence. ☺️
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

PS am I the only person in Ireland who has never been to Kildare village? And I would not mind but I'm originally a Kildare woman!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:24 am PS am I the only person in Ireland who has never been to Kildare village? And I would not mind but I'm originally a Kildare woman!
Nope, passed through it a few times ha

Post by 765489 »

Wouldn't mind taking a visit to the National stud. A couple of big houses also. I went to Newgrange once but was very disappointed.

Edit, the tour of St Michan’s Church I'd like to do to see the mummies :mrgreen:

Post by 95438756 »

isha wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:24 am PS am I the only person in Ireland who has never been to Kildare village? And I would not mind but I'm originally a Kildare woman!
The OP is the only person in Ireland who has'nt flown on RYANAIR. That's right.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I think I might have been brought there once, but can't be sure. I've come to think of Kildare as one giant out-of-town shopping centre, so not entirely certain which part is the "village" ... :?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Most of the so called 'experiences' are rubbish and the idea of spending €22-28 https://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/tickets for a pint of Guinness in the Storehouse is something I just can't get my head round. If you want a quality pint of Guinness in authentic surroundings there's still plenty of choice - in Dublin Kehoe's in South Anne Street; Grogan's, Sth.William Street. Morrissey's in Abbeyleix and French's in Gorey.....The other place is an over-promoted, over priced, tourist trap. Anyway, I had a private tour of Guinness's back in the mid-1970's visiting parts of the brewery that tourists never see - so there! :mrgreen:

https://chrismcmorrow.net/products/kehoes_dublin_381
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I think part of the problem is one of vocabulary. It's very hard to describe any of these places as a museum without conjuring up images of dry, dusty, static exhibits; and without resorting to neologisms whose meaning may not be immediately understood, there are few other words in the English language that describe what a visitor might ... experience. :)

The best neologism that I've come across is "exploratorium" - but that implies that the visitor can, in fact, explore the site or exhibit, whereas a lot of these newer "attractions" are meant to be passively consumed. As a rule, I give them all a miss. On the odd occasion where I've been taken along by someone else, I've found that the more "curated" they are, the less interesting they become. I'd much rather go poking around in a mouldy cellar with a passionate amateur historian, rather than have someone lecture me about the Very Interesting History on display in an interpretive centre.