Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us. We're aware of an issue that our activation emails are not getting through to a handful of gmail users. If you registered but did not receive an activation email, let us know. If you're not so new here, you can dismiss this message.

Hillwalking

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects
Dec A Wash

Hillwalking

Post by Dec A Wash »

Off you go!
quodec

Re: Hillwalking

Post by quodec »

The Cooley Mountains in north Louth are a great place to try if you are a beginner. Gentle enough with a few pushes here and there, and a nice mix of wood and open ground around you. And when you get to the top of the three or four highest hills there are wonderful vistas of counties Down, Armagh and Louth to behold.
Last edited by quodec on Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

At 791ft above sea level Bray Head is a very gentle start and offers superb views. It was a nice safe place for a ramble the last time I was up to the Cross in 1988! When I was a child I used to nearly live up there in the summer.

Painting of Bray Head from the Promenade by Edward Lacey - https://irishartindex.wordpress.com/l/
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Amongst my circle of nearest and dearest (and miscellaneous +1s, 2s and others), there are only two who are serious walkers, and circumstances dictate that we rarely walk hills or dales together. The situation is not helped by my version of a "hill" being quite different to what the Irish relatives consider something that should be walked upon. :(

Some years ago, I thought I was on to a good thing when (while back in Dublin for a couple o weeks) the priest at Mass announced a warm-up hike for the group going to Santiago. So I joined them that Tuesday evening, but jayzzzzz, they were so slow ... :roll:

Anyway, I acknowledge that I'm very spoilt with a choice of some great "hills" - especially now that I've more or less carved out a semi-permanent professional position for myself that gives me a second base from which to go walking (weather permitting). This is one of my favourite seriously serious hills (that horizontal line is the path):

... but tomorrow I'll be settling for something more urban:

I'm in the market for some new walking boots, if anyone has any suggestions.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Walking that horizontal line must mean theres a bit of a mountain goat in your genes :lol:
Nice tho. :)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:09 pm Walking that horizontal line must mean theres a bit of a mountain goat in your genes :lol:
Possibly ... :mrgreen:

This is was me, parked up for the night before!

(you can appreciate how I've maintained a better relationship with my smelly old diesel engine than the former MrsCR! :lol: )

(although the former MrsCR is one of the two aforementionned "nearest and dearest", and still up for a good long hike a proper continental walking speed on the rare occasion we find ourselves in the same part of the same country)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I'm not sure that the previous Mrs CR would like to be compared to a smelly old diesel. She would probably leave you for dead at the foot of the pass.

Stunning area, looks lovely. :)
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:40 pm At 791ft above sea level Bray Head is a very gentle start and offers superb views. It was a nice safe place for a ramble the last time I was up to the Cross in 1988! When I was a child I used to nearly live up there in the summer.

Painting of Bray Head from the Promenade by Edward Lacey - https://irishartindex.wordpress.com/l/
I have been climbing Bray Head off and on for nearly 30 years, and at least once a year for the last 10 -15 years. It's a great one to do on a summer's evening. My usual route is up and over, following the track up the cliffs and then drop down to the coastal path (Greystones to Bray track). Confusingly, the latter is often called the "cliff walk". That last bit - coastal track/"cliff walk" - is now off bounds for much of the stretch from Bray because it has become too dangerous with erosion. But there are plenty of different routes around Bray Head - some leading on to the main road between Bray and Greystones.