Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Hillwalking

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects
Dec A Wash

Hillwalking

Post by Dec A Wash »

Off you go!
quodec

Re: Hillwalking

Post by quodec »

The Cooley Mountains in north Louth are a great place to try if you are a beginner. Gentle enough with a few pushes here and there, and a nice mix of wood and open ground around you. And when you get to the top of the three or four highest hills there are wonderful vistas of counties Down, Armagh and Louth to behold.
Last edited by quodec on Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

At 791ft above sea level Bray Head is a very gentle start and offers superb views. It was a nice safe place for a ramble the last time I was up to the Cross in 1988! When I was a child I used to nearly live up there in the summer.

Painting of Bray Head from the Promenade by Edward Lacey - https://irishartindex.wordpress.com/l/
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Amongst my circle of nearest and dearest (and miscellaneous +1s, 2s and others), there are only two who are serious walkers, and circumstances dictate that we rarely walk hills or dales together. The situation is not helped by my version of a "hill" being quite different to what the Irish relatives consider something that should be walked upon. :(

Some years ago, I thought I was on to a good thing when (while back in Dublin for a couple o weeks) the priest at Mass announced a warm-up hike for the group going to Santiago. So I joined them that Tuesday evening, but jayzzzzz, they were so slow ... :roll:

Anyway, I acknowledge that I'm very spoilt with a choice of some great "hills" - especially now that I've more or less carved out a semi-permanent professional position for myself that gives me a second base from which to go walking (weather permitting). This is one of my favourite seriously serious hills (that horizontal line is the path):

... but tomorrow I'll be settling for something more urban:

I'm in the market for some new walking boots, if anyone has any suggestions.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Walking that horizontal line must mean theres a bit of a mountain goat in your genes :lol:
Nice tho. :)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:09 pm Walking that horizontal line must mean theres a bit of a mountain goat in your genes :lol:
Possibly ... :mrgreen:

This is was me, parked up for the night before!

(you can appreciate how I've maintained a better relationship with my smelly old diesel engine than the former MrsCR! :lol: )

(although the former MrsCR is one of the two aforementionned "nearest and dearest", and still up for a good long hike a proper continental walking speed on the rare occasion we find ourselves in the same part of the same country)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I'm not sure that the previous Mrs CR would like to be compared to a smelly old diesel. She would probably leave you for dead at the foot of the pass.

Stunning area, looks lovely. :)
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:40 pm At 791ft above sea level Bray Head is a very gentle start and offers superb views. It was a nice safe place for a ramble the last time I was up to the Cross in 1988! When I was a child I used to nearly live up there in the summer.

Painting of Bray Head from the Promenade by Edward Lacey - https://irishartindex.wordpress.com/l/
I have been climbing Bray Head off and on for nearly 30 years, and at least once a year for the last 10 -15 years. It's a great one to do on a summer's evening. My usual route is up and over, following the track up the cliffs and then drop down to the coastal path (Greystones to Bray track). Confusingly, the latter is often called the "cliff walk". That last bit - coastal track/"cliff walk" - is now off bounds for much of the stretch from Bray because it has become too dangerous with erosion. But there are plenty of different routes around Bray Head - some leading on to the main road between Bray and Greystones.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

There are loads of great hillwalks for different requirements around Glendalough and the surrounding area.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

I managed to get a hillwalk in last Sunday - it's been very sporadic this year and last year. Grade 3 - started from the car park just past Lough Dan Scout Centre - nearest village is Oldbridge, nearest town is Roundwood. We climbed Kanturk and Scar: 20km. I don't have the height stats.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:38 pm
I'm in the market for some new walking boots, if anyone has any suggestions.
Can't really go wrong with what everybody else is wearing ...Lowa Renegade GTX.
Very good boot in my opinion, light, sturdy, comfortable, waterproof.

T'is a walking/hiking boot though. For more alpine surroundings you might have to go up a model or two.

One thing that annoys me about Co. Sligo (where I live) is that there are tons of enticing hills / mountains, but no proper access. There are a few official walks (and very nice they are too) but almost everything else is private land, fenced in and jealously guarded.

Semi-official walking routes do exist...but they are only passed on under hand, it's easy to get lost on them or you can't even find the starting point. And almost all of them include finding your own way over heather or swampy ground at some point.

I guess I've been spoiled having grown up in Southern Germany, not too far from the Alps either where everywhere you spit there are properly signposted, waymarked and maintained walking paths that give you hiking options from a few hours to several days with exactly graded levels of difficulty.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

peasant wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:27 pm Can't really go wrong with what everybody else is wearing ...Lowa Renegade GTX.
They seem around the €200 mark most places and then I came across this. Can't be genuine can they?

Edit: yea, nevermind, it isn't.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Most good outdoor/shoe shops should stock them ...if you want to go touchy-feely instead of buying online.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

I was out hillwalking today with my group. We started at Blackhill car park, which is near the village of Lacken, which in turn is a bit outside the town of Blessington in west Wicklow. We climbed Blackhill and Mullaghcleevaun. From there, we made our way down to Cleevaun Lake for lunch. Then we followed a track back to Blackhill Car Park. Distance: 14km, height ascent: 600metres.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

peasant wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:20 pm Most good outdoor/shoe shops should stock them ...if you want to go touchy-feely instead of buying online.
Ordered and received before xmas from here. I've about 40 miles on them so far. Great boot! I'd read in some of the reviews that they needed a bit of wearing in but I didn't find that at all.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Interesting ... 10€ cheaper on the French version of their site, compared to the EU (German) one!

How did you find the size/fit? Did you order your exact normal shoe size, or did you go up half a size to allow for thick(er) socks?
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:46 pm Interesting ... 10€ cheaper on the French version of their site, compared to the EU (German) one!
VAT difference maybe?
CelticRambler wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:46 pm How did you find the size/fit? Did you order your exact normal shoe size, or did you go up half a size to allow for thick(er) socks?
I ordered my normal size but in the wide version and I find the fit perfect. You know the way sometimes with boots they can be a bit of a squeeze to get on/off. These are not like that at all. Plenty of space but not loose.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hmmm ... decisions, decisions ...

Have been bombarded with ads for the Lowa Renegade in recent days (now why would that be :? ) and found a French supplier selling them for 158€ ... but out of stock for my size. First reaction was :cry: but now I'm not so sure; might have been a blessing in disguise.

There seem to be rather a lot of reviews/reports indicating that the soles (especially the heels) don't stand the test of time. The rabbit hole eventually took me to a comment from someone in Lowa saying "the Renegade GTX Mid is ... made as a day, weekend and light hiker." ... and a lot of people recommending it on the basis that they're now on their third or fourth pair. :shock:

Given that I seem to be very hard on the soles of my footwear - especially the heels - and that my "light hikes" take me to places like this:

... I'm thinking Lowa's Camino boot might be a better bet. Even if the sole is made from a similar material, apparently it can be re-soled at the factory in years to come. I can get a pair for just under 200€ from the same site. Would still like to get my feet inside some before committing, though. Decisions, decisions ... :geek:
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Quoting myself here:
peasant wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:27 pm T'is a walking/hiking boot though. For more alpine surroundings you might have to go up a model or two.
I have the Renegades and I'm very happy with them.

But...

I know (used to anyway) what alpine terrain can be like even if you don't set out looking for extremes. And while I'm sure that the Renegades could cope, I'm also certain that they wouldn't be ideal and I would not recommend them...not for that terrain (Edit: and not for the sake of an extra 50 quid or so)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

peasant wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:49 pm I know (used to anyway) what alpine terrain can be like even if you don't set out looking for extremes. And while I'm sure that the Renegades could cope, I'm also certain that they wouldn't be ideal and I would not recommend them...not for that terrain (Edit: and not for the sake of an extra 50 quid or so)
Earlier pointer acknowledged (missed it first time 'round, sorry ... :( ) and I know exactly what you mean about finding extremes when you didn't go looking for them! As my Sunday strollers can attest ... :?

This weekend's forecast is for +/-0°C (more minus than plus) and outbreaks of sun in the most interesting nearby places. Great walking and photo weather, so I've just hit the Buy Now button on a pair of Lowa Camino GTXs. 198€ with free 2-day delivery (and 9€90 to put towards my next order ... though that'll probably go to waste)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Boots arrived today; appear to be a perfect fit straight off. :geek: In the end I ordered a half size larger than my usual walking shoes, having decided that my thick-socked feet were just a bit too snug in my usual 43s.

Was a little surprised that nowhere in the numerous multi-language pages of care instructions that came with them was there any explanation of how to use their patented "x-lacing tongue stud" :?: Fortunately YouTube had a few clear explanations of the counterintuitive lacing pattern. :)

All I need now for this weekend's outing are some socks for my camper tyres ... maybe. Finding it very hard to find out if the road I need to take to get from one parking spot to the next is "snow chains mandatory" or not. :?
BossBird

Post by BossBird »

I live right by croagh Patrick so that's my local hill to climb. The nephin and diamond Hill are quite close too. I'd love to get hiking more often and plan to over the spring & summer.
Croagh Patrick is a great climb, but the final stretch of the peak is quite dangerous with the path being so worn. It's easier to slide down some parts on the bum 🤣
Shoes with decent grip are a must. And you can't beat a picnic at the top on a clear day with those views of clew Bay 😍

Post by 765489 »

My grandmother originated from Murrisk. We used to be brought by our parents to climb it around Reek Sunday when we were younger . One year it was clear and the view of Clew Bay was like looking at tropical islands from afar. I used to be scared sh1tless trying to climb the last leg of it.

I was told the donkeys were brought up the other side of it. Is that true ?
BossBird

Post by BossBird »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:56 pm My grandmother originated from Murrisk. We used to be brought by our parents to climb it around Reek Sunday when we were younger . One year it was clear and the view of Clew Bay was like looking at tropical islands from afar. I used to be scared sh1tless trying to climb the last leg of it.

Locals climb it all year round for the hike tbh. The last stretch is pretty hairy yes!! No idea about the donkeys... They might have come up the back way to the shoulder which is definitely easier.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:56 pm My grandmother originated from Murrisk. We used to be brought by our parents to climb it around Reek Sunday when we were younger . One year it was clear and the view of Clew Bay was like looking at tropical islands from afar. I used to be scared sh1tless trying to climb the last leg of it.

I read that as Murmansk....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murmansk :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'