Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Old remedies

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects

Old remedies

Post by 765489 »

I was told when I was a baby and had the whooping cough that my mother gave me turnip juice on the advice of my grandmother, to ease my symptoms and apparently it done the trick.

Any old remedies you've learnt about over the years that stuck with you ?

Obviously try and not post anything that would poison / kill your fellow gubeens:)

Re: Old remedies

Post by 765489 »

When myself or brother got warts when we were younger we were told to squeeze the milky substance from dandelion stems over it. Not sure if it worked or not but we did try it.

Nettle stings were soothed by dock leaves.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

If there was one good thing that you were to pick to do for yourself, drink a cup of nettle tea every day. Easy to dry them too, when they come on now soon in the spring. Take the tips. Wear gloves. You can buy lovely hanging herb dryers with racks on amazon. Then just crush it up smaller and store in airtight containers. I add lemon balm to the mix for flavour. Also a great herb and very uplifting for mood. Dry as per nettles. Or buy.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 765489 »

I always wanted to try nettle soup but for some reason miss the time and don't think about it when the leaves are young.

My mother used to say that Meadowsweet was used years ago to disinfect milk churns.
images (1).jpeg
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:05 pm I always wanted to try nettle soup but for some reason miss the time and don't think about it when the leaves are young.

My mother used to say that Meadowsweet was used years ago to disinfect milk churns.

images (1).jpeg
I gather and dry a small bit of meadowsweet also. Best time of the year I always think is when the meadowsweet and rosebay willow herb are in bloom together - looks so gorgeous in the hedges. Meadowsweet is a natural pain killer . Don't use much - it is quite bitter and astringent, in spite of its name which is really all about its smell, and use as strewing herb say with woodruff. It is not suitable for all people - I would only use a tiny amount if using at all as I really don't like the taste. Salicylic acid -> salicin -> aspirin. Plants are amazing.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 490808 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:05 pm I always wanted to try nettle soup but for some reason miss the time and don't think about it when the leaves are young.

images (1).jpeg
Thats a fairly well known herbal remedy

https://www.eatweeds.co.uk/meadowsweet- ... la-ulmaria
Meadowsweet’s most famous claim to medicinal success is as a forerunner of aspirin.

Meadowsweet has been considered the go-to herb for indigestion, flatulence, gastric ulcers, gastric reflux, liver disorders, cystitis, diarrhoea in children, rheumatism, cellulitis, bladder stones, and oedema.
From the same piece
Meadowsweet was also used to scour milk churns.
Not really sure what they mean by that?

Post by 765489 »

The Continental Op wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:22 pm Thats a fairly well known herbal remedy

https://www.eatweeds.co.uk/meadowsweet- ... la-ulmaria

From the same piece

Not really sure what they mean by that?
Scour to me would me to clean something.

Post by 490808 »

My understanding of scouring is like what you do with a scouring pad? Something Horse/Mares Tail (aka Scouring Rush) used to be used for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum
The latter name refers to the rush-like appearance of the plants and to the fact that the stems are coated with abrasive silicates, making them useful for scouring (cleaning) metal items such as cooking pots or drinking mugs, particularly those made of tin.