Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Unreadable books - your top picks

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects
Johnny Von Pintland

Re: Unreadable books - your top picks

Post by Johnny Von Pintland »

Read about 10 pages on a kindle preview of that 12 Rules for Life by that absolute chancer and charlatan Jordan Peterson. Complete drivel and you’d want to take a good long look at yourself if you thing his advice is worth listening to.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Happy Days wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:48 pm Its a brilliant book. But yes. Some of the chapters a bit off the wall. But still well worth a read. It was the inspiration for the Rolling Stones song Sympathy for the Devil.
I have it on the bookshelf, must give it a go finally...
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Happy Days wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:41 pm I loved The Name of the Rose. Although are moments when Eco goes off on tangents but he reigns himself in fairly quickly. But The Island of the Day Before was just a total mess. That's where you need a good editor who just says NO
Yeah, I read Name of The Rose years ago - loved it.

Island of the Day before I gave up on, kind of felt bad - I don't like giving up on books, which is silly really, why would you want to waste time ??

The Mysterious flame of Queen Loana is a good read too .
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

Fratello wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:13 pm I gave up on Tolkein's The Children of Húrin. I'll try again at some stage. It's first few pages are hard going and the story is a bit grim.
I never attempted The Silmarillion but have heard it's hard going. Anyone read it?
Here I am quoting myself. I kept re-reading the intro so as to get a good run at it and it worked.
There is a glossary of names and places at the back which is a help. Being a bit epic the main characters tend to change their names a few times as they progess so you need to keep referring to the back to remind you who it is you are reading about.
In the end it's a good story but not a happy one.