Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What's on your bookshelves?

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects
Del.Monte
Verified Username

What's on your bookshelves?

Post by Del.Monte »

Bookshelves always seem to attract clutter and I was undertaking a major clear-out today I thought a few pics were called for - these shots were taken after tidying. :mrgreen: More tomorrow. What dross do others allow accumulate on their shelves?

'no more blah blah blah'

Re: What's on your bookshelves?

Post by 765489 »

I'll have to get out the feather duster and do a tidy up before I can reveal my shelves :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I can't give ye more. It would be embarrassing! I have a large room lined with book shelves, some of which are cardboard boxes repurposed 😳 and they are a chaotic disgrace of disheveled disordered books from vastly different subject matters, procured by different residents of the house at different times and ages, and the shelves are a bit dusty and hold random ridiculous things that are fecked onto them for who knows what reason. And I see marks left by the beer bottles/pint glasses himself puts on them 😡🤬 Lookit!! I have more to be doing than cleaning up after people!
IMG_20220628_074945_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_20220628_074945_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (240.18 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
IMG_20220628_075035_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_20220628_075035_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (232.48 KiB) Viewed 3062 times
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I have two copies of The Road, I see now. I got a sudden urge to reread it last month and could I fecken find it, no way. And the urge was so strong I bought another copy. It's not exactly the most cheerful book to gift to anyone but I will find someone as dark minded as myself and they will love it. I remember being stunned by the film. That was why I read it in the first place. He has a biblical style, McCarthy.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I've a lot of random stuff. Old Russian cameras, Motorsport trophies, Monte Carlo rally plates, car models, a stalactite, Lego.........

Oh, lots of books. Lots of history and science books. Zero fiction books on my shelves

On duplicate books, I've two copies of "The Mycotoxin Blue Book". Mycotoxins are toxins produced by certain moulds/fungi.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

isha wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:27 am I can't give ye more. It would be embarrassing! I have a large room lined with book shelves, some of which are cardboard boxes repurposed 😳 and they are a chaotic disgrace of disheveled disordered books from vastly different subject matters, procured by different residents of the house at different times and ages, and the shelves are a bit dusty and hold random ridiculous things that are fecked onto them for who knows what reason. And I see marks left by the beer bottles/pint glasses himself puts on them 😡🤬 Lookit!! I have more to be doing than cleaning up after people!
Foucault's Pendulum... Nice. You've just reminded me that sufficient time has passed for a reread. 8-)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

As the farming neighbours were spot-on with the forecast, I'm spending this incessantly rainy Thursday cleaning the "back bedroom" ahead of the arrival of my first summer visitors. The "back bedroom" also happens to be "my" bedroom, but I haven't slept in it for over a year, preferring either to continue sleeping in the camper between trips coz it's easier to not relocate for a few nights, or the sofa-bed in front of the fire and with full-speed internet. Accordingly, over the last two years, it has become the dumping ground for just about everything that shouldn't be thrown out - work contracts and a mountain of other obsolete paperwork generated by l'administration française, IT equipment in need of repair, clothes waiting to be mended/patched/ironed, stationery that ought to be put in a drawer somewhere, camera gear that's not being used for the current project, etc, etc ...

This is also the room with The Shelf, and so far this morning apart from the dust, I have found/rediscovered a travel iron, a Russian bearskin hat, a hotel courtesy pack of shoe polish, one human tooth, a travel hair dryer, an old wallet including my blood-donor card (invalid since I spend too long in BSE-land), an unused 2009 personal organiser, a Spanish dictionary, one well-nibbled silk tie (the nicest one - those mice have good taste :( ) and :o a box of love letters from me to the former MrsCR.

That's the first metre done; only 24 more to go. :geek:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Awwwww, that's poignant, the love letters.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

On to the serious stuff now: rat droppings, mouse droppings, fly droppings, spider droppings, a copy of the JW's guide to the Bible ( :? ), a long-expired professional membership card, one long-expired debit card, and one credit card that expires ... June 2022. :shock: The replacement is probably in that pile of post that used to be on the chair till it fell on the floor last month.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another section of the 'book' shelf - there's a few books here but DVDs, Hexbugs and Wade Whimsies.....are gradually taking over.

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Finally got as far as the books: Concise Oxford Dictionary, Roget's Thesaurus, Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla (Ó Dónaill, 1977), Foclóir Bearla-Gaeilge, Gaeilge agus Fáilte (Gael Linn), Collins Spanish Dictionary & Grammar, Collins German Dictionary & Grammar, Collins Italian Dictionary & Grammar. Larousse Dictionaire pratique de la langue française. Bescherell - La Conjugaison, L'Orthographe, La Grammaire.

And the mother of them all, the giant 3kg Collins Robert French-English/English-French Dictionary.

Also the RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening and the Times Atlas of the World. :D
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I did a bit of cleaning and found two caps. One old NVA army cap and a Magufuli election campaign cap (Former Tanzanian president). Both picked up in my travels.....

Also found a copy of Perry's Chemical Engineering Handbook. It's about 5 inches thick!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:22 pm I did a bit of cleaning and found two caps. One old NVA army cap and a Magufuli election campaign cap (Former Tanzanian president). Both picked up in my travels.....

Also found a copy of Perry's Chemical Engineering Handbook. It's about 5 inches thick!
A handy door stop or useful if there's another shortage of jacks roll.... :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

I went on a bit of a spending spree a while back and ended up buying mainly biographies of some of my favourite country music singers. I also got other musicians books ,Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, Shannon Hoon and a couple others. Then one or two Charles Manson books and the likes of that.

All I have to do now is the motivation to sit/lie down and concentrate enough to absorb what Im reading, been kinda floating along the last few months .

Post by 95438756 »

The Hitler Years by Ivan mantanle
Art History Teach Yourself series(2003)
Filming Model Scenery by *me* funnily enough. PM if interested.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

gugleguy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:24 pm The Hitler Years by Ivan mantanle
Art History Teach Yourself series(2003)
Filming Model Scenery by *me* funnily enough. PM if interested.
Go on, stick up a pic. :D
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

There ye go
Attachments
Book cover
Book cover
mast.png (122.62 KiB) Viewed 1810 times