Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Gubu lock thread

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects

The Gubu lock thread

Post by 765489 »

No internet forum is worth its salt without a lock thread. This may be the only post in this thread but it needs to be created for the sake of completeness of the forum.

This is a Chubb London lock. Forged before I was born I'd say, original key that has never been lost.

Anyone else got any interesting locks ? Most of mine are modern. I recently got two large combination locks. Although strong they are completely useless as the numbers are aligned in a way that is not logical to the unfamiliar operator, which means I got phone calls saying something along the lines of "I can't open this fckin lock". They are now gathering dust on the bench in the shed possibly never to be used again.

Am I nuts ? Yes I am, shuffle off to the next thread quick before you catch it. Hurry there is no time :shock:

Screenshot_20220712-192943_Gallery.jpg
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: The Gubu lock thread

Post by Del.Monte »

Never one to refuse a challenge, here's my contribution - not a lock as such but a lock escutcheon. Way back, in the early 1990's, I was in the middle of negotiating the purchase of the old railway station in Lismore, County Waterford; things were at an advanced stage and we had permission to clean-out the place as it was full of combustibles. During the clean-out my eye fell on the safe in the ticket office and I removed the escutcheon from the "Sentry" safe to prevent anybody else so doing! In the heel of the hunt I pulled out of the purchase but the the poor sentry was never returned to his post. Almost 30 years on and he's unlikely to now, but if only he could talk I bet he'd have some interesting tales to tell. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'