Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Genera Retro

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects

Genera Retro

Post by 95438756 »

I'll kick off with this all - in - one (CPU keyboard monitor) from 2000. This was on sale in the Gateway superstor in Liffey Valley shopping centre near the front doors then!

quodec

Re: Genera Retro

Post by quodec »

Weh hey!! Gateway was my first computer back in 1999!! Not unlike that one. Happy days and a new way of life from then on!!!
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

My first PC in the 80s was an Amstrad CPC 464. Amstrad was Alan Sugars company that makes him his millions, "Alan M Sugar Trading". We had the version with the colour screen, some of my friends only had green screen. It came with a tape deck but we added a floppy disk drive later.

Amstrad CPC https://g.co/kgs/odm1zd

Post by 95438756 »

quodec wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:56 pm Weh hey!! Gateway was my first computer back in 1999!! Not unlike that one. Happy days and a new way of life from then on!!!
If you watched the video there was a more speced version made by emachine. Apple sued because it looked so much like the iMac and got emachines to cease production.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Anybody remember these small war comics? They were very popular in the 1960/70s and were banned in both my primary and secondary schools where they were referred to as 'trash mags' - this, of course, made them even more sought after and they were as good as currency. They probably contributed to my xenophobia as well as my command of foreign languages. Words like 'Banzai','Englander Pig Dog', 'Schweinehund', 'Himmel Achtung' (usually shouted when a grenade landed amongst a group of German soldiers) and my favourite - 'Sale Boche' (usually said under their breath by French Resistance types) remain in my memory. No wonder I'm such a well-rounded individual. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Well I remember that some comics like Battle had some very deep and complex stories:
Charlie Byrne about a solider who joined underage in WW I.
His brother Wilf was a mechanic in the RFC
Johnny red redburn was a hurricane pilot who somehow ended up in the ruusuan side on the eastern front. He took part in the battle of Kursk
Love interests, cowardly co pilot ratov and best mate Yakob
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I never saw a Gateway Astro or knew of their existence up until now. And this was in spite of me spending a fair amount of time hanging around in the factory shop in Clonshaugh around 1999-2000, browsing the Pentium II laptops etc.
quodec

Post by quodec »

"Words like 'Banzai','Englander Pig Dog', 'Schweinehund]', 'Himmel Achtung' (usually shouted when a grenade landed amongst a group of German soldiers) and my favourite - 'Sale Boche' (usually said under their breath by French Resistance types) remain in my memory."

Had a whole pile of these in my early teenage years. If nothing else, they got me interested in the whole history of the Second World War.

'Hande Hoch' and 'Schnell, schnell' were other favourite phrases of mine!!!