Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Buying a camper van in Germany and bringing it back

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Buying a camper van in Germany and bringing it back

Post by Calahonda52 »

Right so, am heading to Germany at month end with the intention of buying a camper van so would welcome any practical advice from anyone who has done it.
Couple of issues:
Insurance: While Dolman seem to be the go to camper van insurance broker, their customer service is beyond sh$$e.
Phone not answered and emails take up to a week to get responded to, which means it will be impossible to buy and drive in the one trip as they need details of the van before they insure it and at a week turnaround...
Any alternatives?

Official translation of all documentation: where did you get that done?
schmittel
Verified Username

Re: Buying a camper van in Germany and bringing it back

Post by schmittel »

Calahonda52 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:57 am Right so, am heading to Germany at month end with the intention of buying a camper van so would welcome any practical advice from anyone who has done it.
Couple of issues:
Insurance: While Dolman seem to be the go to camper van insurance broker, their customer service is beyond sh$$e.
Phone not answered and emails take up to a week to get responded to, which means it will be impossible to buy and drive in the one trip as they need details of the van before they insure it and at a week turnaround...
Any alternatives?

Official translation of all documentation: where did you get that done?
I used Stuart Insurances broker for my camper and found them very good - www.stuartinsurances.ie

I brought a camper in from UK pre Brexit, no idea about the vagaries of doing it from Germany.
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

Thanks, I have a policy with their new owners, Arachas, so should be a bit easier
https://www.arachas.ie/stuart-insurances.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Calahonda52 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:17 am Thanks, I have a policy with their new owners, Arachas, so should be a bit easier
https://www.arachas.ie/stuart-insurances.
Just looked through old emails to check, and yes they did insure it from purchase on UK reg to allow me to drive it back.
I did it in one trip, but I had identified the van I was going to buy, and supplied the details in advance.
I guess a good bit more difficult if you have a shortlist of different vans!
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

Got sorted on the insurance so all good to go tomorrow to see whats available

What sort of mileage on a Fiat Ducato would be a cause for concern. I see some with 100,000 kms.
Thanks
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Its not about the mileage on a ducato diesel engine, its about how well its maintained. I have a small fiat Doblo thats maintained over the last 8+ years. Its had a timing chain brake at 125k, which I repaired and it now has 300k on it.
A good service record speaks volumes. Well maintained 100k is just run in. And 100k on a 2.8 diesel engine is nothing, a lot better than 100k on a 2.5 obviously.

Ideally you want one thats had a timing belt, tensioner, and water pump changed within the last 10k miles. And by a fiat dealer, who would be fitting fiat parts. Belt changes with non fiat belts could be troublesome.You should go for one that has been recently tested and passed. I believe the german transport authorities are sticklers for having the i's dotted and the t's crossed on any transport related things at a stop.

And make sure you have the correct license for the vehicle you want to buy. If you dont, then a potential checkpoint you could be losing your vehicle, it happens believe me. Remember to check the camper license for up to 3 ton, and over 3 ton, they are different. And dont think you can wing it, you wont you will end up camper less, because incorrect license means you have no insurance, so dont fall at the last post. Good luck to you sir ;)

Post by 95438756 »

Buy a good stock of spare parts for it while over there
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Just remembered, I had a Fiat Talento with a 1.9 diesel. Basically a fiat engine with 170k.......went like a bird.
Parents had a fiat Ducato Weinsberg 7 metre camper 2.8 engine with 250+K......ran like a watch.

Both were 1992.

Its going to be hard for you to check for leaks unless you go through a car wash, which you probably cant. Moisture meter inside only shows the 2mm depth of the probes. Thermal imaging camera would pick up water ingress in any of the panels, but that probably wont be an option for you. Gas bottle connections for german wagons compared to campers here I think use a different connection, but CR could bring you up to speed on that.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Calahonda52 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:29 amWhat sort of mileage on a Fiat Ducato would be a cause for concern. I see some with 100,000 kms.
Mine has now exceeded 200000km and is fitter for purpose than ever before, thanks to last year's electrical upgrades. Fuel consumption hasn't deteriorated since it first took to the road. My serious engine meltdown of a couple of years ago was ultimately attributed to an intermittently faulty, then seized alternator.

Water ingress is what you most need to be concerned about, and ideally you need to look everywhere. The evidence of a leak may be a considerable distance from the actual point of ingress (several metres away, and maybe even on the opposite side of the vehicle). Right now, because it's so hot and dry at the moment, you're unlikely to find any moisture, so you'll need to look for moisture-related damage. Soft spongy panels, with or without flaking wall-covering, would be the main indication.

Check inside the cabinets too, to see how well they're fitted to the walls. You might see signs that they've been overloaded and are just waiting for one more rocky road trip to Dublin to detach themselves
kadman wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:38 pmGas bottle connections for german wagons compared to campers here I think use a different connection, but CR could bring you up to speed on that.
Yep. Different for Germany and for France and for Austria ... Ireland/UK/Spain use the Calor system; everyone else does their own thing. Changing the regulator is all that's required for compatibility, but then you'll also need "local" bottles which is where the hassle is. I looked into switching to a re-fillable LPG system but LPG filling points are becoming quite a rarity, so I opted for solar instead to keep the fridge going no matter what. However, unless you're planning to embark on long, long continental adventures, you should be fine with 2x11/13kg bottles (for which size most gas lockers are built).
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

Thanks always gents.
K, re: licence, I am up to 3.5kg and this what the insurance quote is limited to.
CR: re: damp, will need to take close look.

A lot of the newer second/hand ones have the smaller engines, and the new ones are down to 2 or 2.2, the older ones are still a lot of 2.8s

The hunt stars on Friday and I come back on 9th so I have week of looking.
If nothing this time, I am back over again in a month for another week.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I know they are sticklers for weight at checkpoints. So check with someone who knows whether a 3.5 ton camper laden with water, puts you over the license limit you are allowed, or is it the weight plate on the camper.
Its been a while since I owned a camper and cant remember the license class for the up to 3.5 ton.

Just remember if you are loaded up and you are 3.51 ton......then a narky traffic cop might not like it.

And dont buy on impulse if the time is running short for you........better to go back another week, and be 100% sure.

Enjoy.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Calahonda52 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:39 pm Thanks always gents.
K, re: licence, I am up to 3.5kg and this what the insurance quote is limited to.
I think we interpreted kadman's cautionary advice regarding licences differently, or maybe it's just because I live amongst dem furriners, but I took his warning to mean that you might see the 'van of your dreams, put down your deposit and then find out that it's over 3.5t. Because long-distance, long-duration motorhoming is so popular on the continent, you will inevitably come across quite few vehicles in the 3.5-7.5t range. You should make a point of stating to any dealer that you're only intested in vehicles up to 3.5t to avoid any disappointment.

Or get a proper 44t licence, like I did, and have your pick of the forecourt! :mrgreen:

Edit coz K posted while I was replying: 3.5t is the all-in weight - driver, fuel, water, gas bottles, bikes, dog and kettle included. Some of the nicer-looking vehicles are sold as "3.5t" vehicles, but the payload is so ridiculously low you'd assume they're never meant to leave your driveway.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Yep....make sure the camper you buy, is the one your license says you can drive. ;)
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

Thanks again, will remember to have a large number 2 before I drive :mrgreen: maybe a bottle of that pre-colonoscopy purge stuff
I do appreciate your input on all points
Was reading up on the weight/payload alright, 20 litres in the FW tank
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Calahonda52 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:33 pm Thanks again, will remember to have a large number 2 before I drive :mrgreen: maybe a bottle of that pre-colonoscopy purge stuff
I do appreciate your input on all points
Was reading up on the weight/payload alright, 20 litres in the FW tank
Can you recommend a good German website to browse camper listings?
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

S, tried to send you a PM, have you blocked them, back here in 10 days as cant change the password to put it on the phone
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Calahonda52 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:08 am S, tried to send you a PM, have you blocked them, back here in 10 days as cant change the password to put it on the phone
Got PM thanks!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Have a memorable road trip,and take plenty of pics. :lol: