Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Genealogy Chat

Please use this for any other hobbies, we'll create dedicated forums on popular subjects
Cobham

Genealogy Chat

Post by Cobham »

This is one topic that I followed on boards, maybe create a section in Hobbies?

MOD NOTE: Forum created, this thread can be chit chat.
Last edited by Guburnor on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Modded
Cobham

Re: Genealogy Chat

Post by Cobham »

I thought to post some links to help newbies get started. We may have lost many records but there are two site of great interest and free.

1901 and 1911 censuses
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
Here you will find scanned copies of the actual forms filled out by your forebears and perhaps the signature. The 1911 census has a question on the duration of a marriage and how many children born are still living.

Birth, Marriage and Death records
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
Here you need to register your details every time you visit the site but after that a wealth of material is available with the protection of 100 yrs rule for births, 70 yrs for marriages and 50 yrs for deaths. You search via the 'civil records' section.
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

Deadly. Shall peruse this when I get more time.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

I found the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website a good starting point for finding out about my great uncle who died in WW1:
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/

Also the wills for Irish soldiers in the British Army from WW1 can be found in the national archives:
http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.i ... /index.jsp
dawg

Post by dawg »

A few odds and sods I found from 10+ years ago :

RIC records were available on microfilm in National Archives. Perhaps they are online now ?

Some fragments of census prior to 1901 exist. In particular the entire 1841 census for the parish of Kill(e)/(a)shandra exists ( it may even have made it online ? )

Mount Jerome grave records were ( are? ) available on microfilm in The Gilbert library ( Top floor of Pearse St public library ) - what with Covid etc would be worth checking if open or not
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Deans Grange and Shanganagh Cemetery records available online
https://discovereverafter.com/

Glasnevin Cemetery have great records and scans available after payment. Some initial searching can be useful.

Mount Jerome is not 'online' but the cemetery office can be helpful.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Also the wills for Irish soldiers in the British Army from WW1 can be found in the national archives:
http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.i ... /index.jsp
[/quote]

Thank you for that, a very interesting resource as actual scanned documents. My Irish relatives survived WW1 but a grandfather from UK died but I never was able to find a will record for him. I wonder were they destroyed in the bomb damage of WW2 and the Irish ones survived if they had stayed in Ireland?
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

dawg wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 pm A few odds and sods I found from 10+ years ago :

RIC records were available on microfilm in National Archives. Perhaps they are online now ?

Some fragments of census prior to 1901 exist. In particular the entire 1841 census for the parish of Kill(e)/(a)shandra exists ( it may even have made it online ? )

Mount Jerome grave records were ( are? ) available on microfilm in The Gilbert library ( Top floor of Pearse St public library ) - what with Covid etc would be worth checking if open or not
If you contact the Garda museum, they will send you what they have for a particular person. They have both RIC and Garda records, although what you get back is pretty sparse, just rank, term of service and locations.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Any tips for tracing long lost ancestors in the USA - and Memphis, Tennessee in particular. Thanks in advance..
'no more blah blah blah'
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

The American censuses are a great resource with wealth of detail including year of immigration, birthplace of parents in some of earlier ones tho usually just a country for latter. The censuses are available up to 1940 also... will 1950 be coming soon? The Mormon site Familysearch.org is good place to access records for free including censuses. Then there are the records of immigrants arriving see Ellis Island also on Familysearch site.
Last edited by Cobham on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

As far as I know. none of the census returns from the Irish State are available to the general public in the same way that 1901/1911 are. We'll have to wait til 2027 to see the returns for 1926 (which was the first census taken by the Irish state) as a 100 year rule is applied.

Fron the National Archives:
The returns for 1926 - 1946 and part of those for 1951 are held in the National Archives, but they remain under the control of the Central Statistics Office, to the extent that the staff of the National Archives are not permitted to examine them for any purpose. The more recent returns are still held by the Central Statistics Office. The 1926 Census Returns will be released to public inspection in January 2027.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/history.html

EDIT:
Sorry, Cobham I realise now you're talking about the US

Post by 490808 »

Anyone ever researched someone that was in the Royal Navy on a specific ship in WWII?

My grandfather served as a PO on a well know Royal Navy battleship in WWII. I've a load of his Naval memorabilia referencing the ship (like cufflinks, ash trays etc), his birth, marriage, death certs and many of his shipwrights tools but can't find his name linked to the ship in anyway?

It doesn't surprise me as we are a dozy lot. My father named after the ship in question celebrated his birthday on a different day to his birth cert as he was born during the war and his my grandmother registered his birth about a month after the event and made a mistake with the dates :?:

The only person I can find with the same name died on HMS Hood but that wasn't him.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Have you searched under medal records?

Post by 490808 »

Not yet. That's the one thing I don't have any record of medals.

Next time I'm in the UK visiting my mother I'll dig out all the records I can find. My father was a hoarder and we have a sea chest full of stuff I've never been through. The strange thing is that there are online lists of crew of the ship concerned and the name doesn't appear on it?
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Every one who served in a war got a medal or several. I only have experience of WW1 and the medals list is the only complete set of records remaining as over 60% of service records from WW1 were destroyed in bomb damage of WW2. National archives at Kew is place to look and lot of online info available also.

Post by 765489 »

Not sure if this has been posted or not but this site was launched recently concerning the public records office content that was severely damaged during the civil war.

From the site

"The Treasury re-imagines and reconstructs through digital technologies the Public Record Office of Ireland, a magnificent archive destroyed on June 30th, 1922, in the opening engagement of the Civil War."

https://www.virtualtreasury.ie/

I'm after finding loads of stuff about my locality going back to the 1600s. Might be of interest to some of you.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I recently subscribed to the Irish newspaper archive, cost 20 quid for 1 month and I think it is worth it. I have spent many hours searching it and cross referencing with the civil records and census websites. I'm only going back as far as my great great grandparents so am only an amateur at this. i have run into some brick walls and discrepancies that threw me off e.g. ages listed in the death records and census not correlating exactly (off by a couple of years)

I have very few relatives of my parents' generation left and all my grandparents' generation are long gone and I never met either of my grandfathers. My extended family was quite small anyway and there were several lifelong bachelors and some who did get married didn't have children. Mostly long forgotten now, I'd have a job even finding their gravestones. Also I have an information gap as my mother never had much interest in her ancestors " I think I have an aunt down in Tipperary somewhere" was about the extent of her interest.

Post by 765489 »

My auntie and her daughter ( who works in a university in Northern Ireland ) recently done a family tree of my grandmother's side from Mayo going back to the early 1600s. My auntie is one of those people who seems to know everything about past family members, where they emirgrated to etc. If I'm speaking to her daughter I must ask how she got all the information together as it is quite detailed with names, birth dates, marriage details.

Problem with my family name is the spelling of my surname. We came from Scotland originally and landed in Donegal. There are various spellings of the second name with letters missing on the various census here.

I'm hoping my aunt and her daughter will call in sometime with our family tree done :mrgreen:

If they drop in to me will ask them some questions on what resources they used.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Family bibles might have been a resource? more common in non RC families.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Just looking through the usual sources (civil records,census, newspapers) drives home a lot of things about life, death and Irish history. My great grandparents were all farmers but some were "gentleman farmer", some had servants, others lived in thatched cottages (roof type was recorded in the census) I cannot find newspaper death notices for some of them maybe they were too poor to afford one or it wasn't the done thing.

The wealthy ones got lots of mentions in the newspapers for various reasons.

Wealth didn't protect them from dying young though, my father's maternal grandmother appears to have died in her 30s during childbirth. Another relative died from heart disease in her early 30s. Another died from a skin infection that I had never heard of, from Googling it, it kills hardly anyone these days but was clearly a problem in the 1800s before antibiotics.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Good to see that the digitisation of the 1926 census is going ahead but it would be nice if some staff could be transferred to the National Archive to ensure updating of the 1901 and 1911 censuses that are already online. I'm sick of the poor response - due to lack of staff - to the numerous corrections that I have submitted. Perhaps this time the digitisation will be handled by people whose first language is English?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/11 ... s-project/
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Like the fool that I am I thought something might have improved ...so today I go online looking for the 1901/11 censuses which used to be straightforward to find and when you go to http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ you're redirected to something called https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/ It's not what I want and no sign of either census - looks like a quasi commercial operation?

Continuing in my quest I ring the National Archive https://www.nationalarchives.ie/visit-us/contact-us/ Telephone (01) 407 2300 and go directly to to the Voicemail of someone called Dermot where I am told to leave a message but it may be sometime before they get back to me. I press 0 but I am then told that it's not possible to leave a message.........What a feckin shambles. The dopey Minister should use some of the €5 million to employ some staff. Yet another reason why I won't be voting Green again in a hurry. :x :x :x

Just sent a snorter of an email to Catherine Martin but not expecting a reply as I'm still awaiting a reply from Eamonn Ryan from five or six years ago.
'no more blah blah blah'
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Should be working at this link

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

'no more blah blah blah'
Fratello